Why Are There No Photo Identity Checks ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years post 1974 we had to fill in landing or embarkation cards under Prevention of Terrorism legislation. I'm not sure how they were checked or indexed. Im not sure that they were.   My question

I agree. The people at the Sea Terminal in Liverpool or Heysham should ask to see photographic ID and look people up on a criminal database. It seems people can just come and go.   Barrie, you menti

I have never been asked to prove my identity when travelling on the boat to the Island.   Would it be a good idea to know exactly who is entering the country ?

I have never been asked to prove my identity when travelling on the boat to the Island.

Would it be a good idea to know exactly who is entering the country ?

Yes. At present the authorities have only a vague idea who is entering or leaving the Island if they don't travel through Ronaldsway.

There should be notices at Douglas Port stating:

COME IN, CLEAN UP

& GET CLEAN AWAY!

The United Kingdom and Ireland are not part of the Schengen Area , why not the Isle of Man ?

The Isle of Man doesn't need to be. The assumption is that anyone coming over will have already been checked in another country, unless they're flying from abroad, in which case, they're checked at the airport.

The Schengen Agreement is not really applicable..

The UK and Ireland opted out of Schengen and chose to retain and apply the CTA aka Common Travel Area...The Island comes under the CTA like the Channel Islands and is not a European Member State..

Basically the essene of the CTA is that you don't need a passport as a requirement.

Ireland however later introduced a requirement for the carrying of some form of official photo ID but not essentially a passport. A list of acceptable documents is on line.

The UK was going to adopt an ID carrying system when Ireland did it but then dropped the idea so the Island being in the CTA followed suit and thus no photo ID is required...

This was highly publicised in the Island's media at the time....And is all on line in great detail of you Google "Common Travel Area"

Have you ever heard of burglars ?

So what you wait until someone turns up with a photo id showing them in a balaclava with a bag labelled "swag" over their shoulder and then arrest them?

That would be helpful to the Police :)

I have never been asked to prove my identity when travelling on the boat to the Island.

Would it be a good idea to know exactly who is entering the country ?

I agree. The people at the Sea Terminal in Liverpool or Heysham should ask to see photographic ID and look people up on a criminal database. It seems people can just come and go.

Barrie, you mention the Common Area. I think that is something which should be done away with. A nation which does not have control of its own borders is not a proper nation and I think we should be a proper nation, as Great Britain should be too. Why are passports required on the plane to the Isle of Man from the UK, though? Is that airport or airline policy rather than due to legislation? A boat is just as at risk of terrorism, hijackings or criminal damage as an aeroplane. I appreciate that it's not likely but, really, what is to stop an Al Qaeda or ISIS team boarding the boat and getting up to no good?

• Like 3

Have you ever heard of burglars ?

So what you wait until someone turns up with a photo id showing them in a balaclava with a bag labelled "swag" over their shoulder and then arrest them?

There is a high rate of re-offending among professional criminals so I think it's reasonable to keep a log of who comes into and who goes out of the island so we can match it up against a crime database. Let's say someone comes to the island and starts robbing people's houses. The Police could consult that log and database and look these characters up to see if they've been up to no good.

• Like 1