Why Are There No Photo Identity Checks ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years post 1974 we had to fill in landing or embarkation cards under Prevention of Terrorism legislation. I'm not sure how they were checked or indexed. Im not sure that they were.   My question

I agree. The people at the Sea Terminal in Liverpool or Heysham should ask to see photographic ID and look people up on a criminal database. It seems people can just come and go.   Barrie, you menti

I have never been asked to prove my identity when travelling on the boat to the Island.   Would it be a good idea to know exactly who is entering the country ?

Use your driving licence picture Id card Declan

I thought the card was not valid as a form of ID on its own without the accompanying certificate?

It is not a valid driving licence without the paper part but it is still a valid ID.

British and Irish travellers do not need passports for either domestic flights or those within the Common Travel Area shared by the two countries and the UK’s various dependent islands. This apparently leaves airlines to make up their own rules as to what locals require to get on a domestic or UK-Eire flight.

All airlines will accept passports to show you are who you say you are, and all but one accepts driving licences. But for British and Irish travellers British Airways will accept its own Executive Club membership cards or company ID cards, and says you do not need any ID to fly within the UK at all if you don’t check in a bag – although it adds “it is always advisable to have some form of identification with you”.

FlyBe accepts a wide range of documents for UK and Irish travel by locals, including recently-expired passports, armed forces ID cards, student cards, senior citizen bus passes, company photo ID cards (but only for a “nationally recognised company”), photographic firearms certificates and even non-photo bearing pension books.

BMI has a shorter list of acceptable forms of photographic ID but includes armed forces, police and airport staff cards, while easyJet simply wants to see “photographic ID”. All four airlines let children under 16 travel ID-free within the British Isles if accompanies by an adult who can vouch for them.

However, one airline requires a passport for all flights – not even a driving licence will cut it – and that goes for children, too. Readers may be unsurprised to hear that the name of this airline is Ryanair.

Even a provisional will do. Credit card sized easy. It's you complaining about the size of a passport

The last provisional I had was a little green book. Don't you have to take an exam on stopping distences and road signs before you can get one.

How would we pay for these checks?

Taxes?

Increased fares?

With the confiscated and/or recovered proceeds of crime.

Edited to add "confiscated and/or recovered" in order to deter pedants.

Edited by Fossils