Why Are There No Photo Identity Checks ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For years post 1974 we had to fill in landing or embarkation cards under Prevention of Terrorism legislation. I'm not sure how they were checked or indexed. Im not sure that they were.   My question

I agree. The people at the Sea Terminal in Liverpool or Heysham should ask to see photographic ID and look people up on a criminal database. It seems people can just come and go.   Barrie, you menti

I have never been asked to prove my identity when travelling on the boat to the Island.   Would it be a good idea to know exactly who is entering the country ?

Ryanair gives a highly reliable service in modern aircraft. You just have to accept in advance that they are a "mass production" low cost carrier and don't expect them to look after you at their expense if things go wrong. Having said that, I have used them several times with never a problem. I prefer to take as I find rather than listen to the hyperbole.

• Like 1

How do you fund the checks ?

In the big house on the hill in Onchan with a blue light outside there is a machine called the PNC and if you wake the person up in front of it with a mug of tea and get them to type what you want to know into it , all will be revealed.

After we get off the boat we going have to go up to Onchan and show are ID to him?

You're still going to have to pay someone to check the ID dockside and ring through.

How long are these checks at dockside going to take?

Could you explain the purpose if adding more bureaucracy? Other than making travelling to and from here more of a hassle?

Could you explain the purpose if adding more bureaucracy? Other than making travelling to and from here more of a hassle?

Exactly.

And what exactly will it flag up.....what powers would anyone doing the checking have to prevent someone from travelling....would there be a big whoop whoop alarm go off and the person instantly frozen in carbonite.....

This thread is full of stupid.

Without proper identity checks and records of incoming or outgoing travellers the Island is an ideal travel hub for terrorism and any other organised crime.

Bollocks. That's like saying having no checks entering or leaving London by road is the same.
  • Like 1

London is full of terrorists anyway.

The Island has only two recognised entry and exit points , is that such a big deal to monitor ?

How do all the illegal drugs enter the Island , fishing boats from Afghanistan to Peel ?

• Like 1

According to the papers - some of it by post.

Which is quite a good way of getting your local dealer in hot water - just send your grass clippings to him (or her), by post!

Edited by x-in-man

London is full of terrorists anyway.

The Island has only two recognised entry and exit points , is that such a big deal to monitor ?

How do all the illegal drugs enter the Island , fishing boats from Afghanistan to Peel ?

We don't need a police state just because you shit yourself over a minority and a burglar.
  • Like 2

Without proper identity checks and records of incoming or outgoing travellers the Island is an ideal travel hub for terrorism and any other organised crime.

Would that be terrorists in Liverpool looking to smuggle guns to a cell in Morecombe?

Would that be terrorists in Liverpool looking to smuggle guns to a cell in Morecombe?

i did wonder how the island could be a travel 'Hub' for terrorists, it doesn't make for a particularly interesting final destination for acts of terror, and it can hardly be called a halfway point of sorts.

Unless radical irish muslims are going to to start making their way across to prominent targets in the UK, stopping off here for a jar of manx knobs on the way.

We'll need to step up out Passport checking in case the infamous Muhammad O'shaughnessy, or the ever dangerous Paddy Hussein tries to sneak across.