Holiday 2015 Recommendations

Addie

It's that time of year to find a nice spot for an early summer break, possibly early June.

Mr A and I only want to 'do' southern-ish Europe, so where would you recommend? Do you know of any treasures anywhere?

We want to book independently, possibly in an apartment but whatever must definately have a terrace with views of the very close sandy beach which could be a lake or beach. As we won't be cooking, genuine local restaurants nearby are a must and no direct flights involved.

I can offer an apartment, on the promenade in Pomorie bulgaria. 10 mins from Bourgas airport. Balcony looking due east, over sea and beach, second west over large pool and leisure area. 2 bedrooms, shower room, laundry facilities, living dining kitchen room large. £500 per week high season. Lots of culture and history, Nessebar, Roman salt flats, Thracian burial mounds. Good cafescand restaurants within a few feet. 20 mins from Sunny Beach if you want bulgaria del mar and Russian tourists and discos.

Madeira has no beaches and as such does not attract the young chavvie crowd looking for cheap booze, loud music and drunken sex. That said, with lager from about £1.00 a pint (about £3.00 in expensive hotels, etc.), fantastic restaurants, some absolutely first class, and very reasonable. Very good shopping, nightlife, and some of the most amazing scenery you will find anywhere in the world, I would recommend a week in Funchal.

• Like 2

Thanks all. I love Sirmione on Lake Garda too.

I'm hoping for somewhere where I can stroll out for a swim and swim lots. I don't like hotel pools or their ambiance to be honest.

I've never considered Bulgaria, I'll take a look on t'internet.

Thanks all. I love Sirmione on Lake Garda too.

I'm hoping for somewhere where I can stroll out for a swim and swim lots. I don't like hotel pools or their ambiance to be honest.

I've never considered Bulgaria, I'll take a look on t'internet.

You'll be alright for security in Bulgaria, most of their criminals are over here.

• Like 2

Bulgaria is lovely. Some parts more lovely than others. I highly recommend Plovdiv (old town) as part of a mini tour, it is to be European capital of culture soon and is full of art, history and great restaurants. Bulgarian restaurants are most amusing, the menus are good, the service however is totally random, my main came with the starters, the bread came with the main - they're far from 'the norm' anyway but but but the food is generally spot on. We stayed at the Art Dali (or similar) it suited purpose, was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see/do and had a car park (which is quite a boon - visit the place on street view for further details).

The Thracian and Roman stuff in Bulgaria is fairly good. They have museums for everything.

I'm off there in May, the weather will be nice then, it gets too hot (for me) in summer. Happy holidays Addie, where ever you go :)

• Like 1

I hear there's a lot happening in Greece this year.

No package or all inclusive holidays available though?

I did read that. New legislation to discourage all inclusive resorts and encourage tourists to actually see the country they're visiting and contribute to the local economy. With the euro going down the toilet makes perfect sense.

If only we could do the same here but actually encourage all inclusive B&B's, so I don't have to see all those annoying ramblers in cagoule's and hiking boots whilst I'm out dogging.