Cretiny to stand for Legco.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time that this expensive layer of Isle of Man non-politics and everyone in it given the boot. No more anointments by colleagues, lodge members or Rotarians, no more back-patting jobs for the boys, no

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=74949   The sooner this waste of space is removed from power the better off we'll all be.

There are too many Post Tortoises.   While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75 year old farmer, whose hand was caught in the squeeze gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation wi

That's a good point TBT.

I think the likes of Geoff Corkish and Phil Braidwood were voted in to the Legislative Council for their razor sharp analysis of legislation and extreme intellectual prowess in political matters.

Flipping through the business papers for the Legislative Council certainly gives you a clue as to the quality of scrutiny (or not as the case may be) being applied to proposed legislation on our behalf!

http://www.tynwald.org.im/about/legco/Pages/Business.aspx

But I can't see that changing with the elevation of Messrs Cretney & Henderson to the Inner Sanctum.

Flipping through the business papers for the Legislative Council certainly gives you a clue as to the quality of scrutiny (or not as the case may be) being applied to proposed legislation on our behalf!

But I can't see that changing with the elevation of Messrs Cretney & Henderson to the Inner Sanctum.

For the first time I have read some of the Hansard re Legco, and am astonished that Tynwald could not see the added value trained legal people could add to this type of oversight, it illustrates clearly to me that the interests of the island as a whole are perhaps not top of the agenda !

• Like 3

For the first time I have read some of the Hansard re Legco, and am astonished that Tynwald could not see the added value trained legal people could add to this type of oversight, it illustrates clearly to me that the interests of the island as a whole are perhaps not top of the agenda !

>...that Tynwald could not see the added value trained legal people...

Just because someone is trained doesn't mean that they're any good. How many times have we been told that someone has 30 years experience...when in reality they have one years experience 30 times over?

E.g. Law trained Jenny Holt cited 'inexperience' as part of her defence regarding accepting cash obtained from money laundering via Trevor Baines.

So having trained in law for years, qualified to a standard (chuckle), charging her services out at £100's/hour (chris.gif) and being well into her 30's; she now asks us to believe that she lacks experience...Hmmmm.

What we need is people who are motivated and have the ability to do the job.

Facebookers with a smartphone and a slick line in bulling themselves up are - and always have been - immaterial.

TBT.

• Like 2

Just because someone is trained doesn't mean that they're any good. How many times have we been told that someone has 30 years experience...when in reality they have one years experience 30 times over?

E.g. Law trained Jenny Holt cited 'inexperience' as part of her defence regarding accepting cash obtained from money laundering via Trevor Baines.

So having trained in law for years, qualified to a standard (chuckle), charging her services out at £100's/hour (chris.gif) and being well into her 30's; she now asks us to believe that she lacks experience...Hmmmm.

Facebookers with a smartphone and a slick line in bulling themselves up are - and always have been - immaterial.

TBT.

I agree with some of what you say, but an iq out of single figures is desirable imo ! and a degree in law suggests you do have an iq out of single figures !

Comment on Talking Heads on Tuesday: "They could have elected two lawyers who would have made valuable contributions, but no. They had to elect a couple of muppets instead."

Absolutely correct.

What proffesional person will now put his name forward to be an MLC after witnessing this incestual parlimentary system.

We now look forward to a further election with any worthy outside candidates rightly avoiding this cess pool

• Like 1

Apparently there was a former chimney sweep in the public gallery wondering why the lawyers didn't just leave after the first couple of rounds of ballotting. One of his associates managed to find a way through the moths floating about in his head to inform him that perhaps a point was being made.

See above post.

There are too many Post Tortoises.

While stitching a cut on the hand of a 75 year old farmer, whose hand was caught in the squeeze gate while working cattle, the doctor struck up a conversation with the old man.
Eventually the topic got around to politicians and their role as our leaders.
The old farmer said, "Well, as I see it, most politicians are 'Post Tortoises'.'
Not being familiar with the term, the doctor asked him what a 'post tortoise' was.
The old farmer said, "When you're driving down a country road and you come across a fence post with a tortoise balanced on top, that's a post tortoise."
The old farmer saw the puzzled look on the doctor's face so he continued to explain. “You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, he's elevated beyond his ability to function,and you just wonder what kind of dumb arse put him up there to begin with."

• Like 9

Comment on Talking Heads on Tuesday: "They could have elected two lawyers who would have made valuable contributions, but no. They had to elect a couple of muppets instead."

Well they have to elect mainly thickos who are, most of all, compliant and in the pocket of Tynwald, so to speak. One of the boys for the boys.

Otherwise if you put someone with a good mind in there they would say "Wahhh thu ffff? This is a load of old bollocks. £1,000 a week and a pension and that. And all I have to do is go to a few meetings and pretend to be important? Plus it's tedious and toadying as hell and most of these guys I'm stuck with wouldn't stand a chance in the real world. I'm outta here".

The self-preservation society will ensure that 'the right' people get elected. You can be sure of that.

And it ain't ever going to be someone who might blow the lid on the whole needless but lucrative-for-the-boys shebang.

TBT.

I agree with some of what you say, but an iq out of single figures is desirable imo ! and a degree in law suggests you do have an iq out of single figures !

>a degree in law suggests you do have an iq out of single figures.

Given a degree (no pun intended) of naivete, one would agree. Ms Holt graduated with an MA in Jurisprudence (law theory) from Merton College.

However the Judge in the Baines money laundering case described her as "intelligent but foolish".

So that suggests to me that a high intelligence quotient isn't an accurate marker as to whether somebody is competent.

Let me put it another way; if Ms Holt were a qualified Vet, she wouldn't get within a country mile of my terriers.

TBT.

• Like 1

Now that Crets and Billy Henderson are Members of the Legislative Council, the Keys is down to 22 which, at least in theory, will make it harder to achieve the 13 votes required for election.

There's going to have to be some serious crawling for the next two looking for a golden ticket to the slumber chamber.

• Like 3