Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

It's so bad at the moment, my wife's connection to work keeps dropping and she can't get her overtime done

I'm ringing them in the morning and kicking off

4250668775.png

Guest MrFunk

I can't even use gmail over the Wi-Manx connection, I've resorted to tethering a laptop and using 4G. I'll be phoning in the morning as well.

So having just upgraded from ADSL to VDSL a few of months ago what chance is there of getting out of contract? (21 months left) Looks like their terms are pretty tied up, but I'm worse off and paying a third more.

I've been with Wimanx for around 6 or 7 years now and they have always been great, but this is just woeful. I'll also be considering our business account which is also suffering.

I can imagine there will be a few hundred calls tomorrow given just the sample of complaints on here.

It's absolutely in the crapper at the moment, and it was last night too.

Can't even stream a 720p music video off YouTube on my main PC which is wired straight to the router (so no wireless problems getting in the way).

Tethered a laptop to my MT contract 4G Nexus 5 working as a wi-fi hotspot, exact same video plays flawlessly.

Why can't WiManx just put everything back to how it was before the VDSL+ (cough) upgrades? Put the 80meggers back down to 40meg (since they're not getting 80meg anyway), revert the router configs, pretty basic rollback procedure when a major change on your network goes obviously and seriously wrong?

I don't understand how it's all gone so badly wrong, have they actually got less bandwidth than they had before, or something?

Why can't WiManx just put everything back to how it was before the VDSL+ (cough) upgrades? Put the 80meggers back down to 40meg (since they're not getting 80meg anyway), revert the router configs, pretty basic rollback procedure when a major change on your network goes obviously and seriously wrong?

This. That would seem to fix things in a heartbeat. I expect everyone would be pretty happy with that.

Yup i agree. But i guess they have to be offering the same packages as everyone else.

What's annoying is that i'm sure more people are being signed up each day, so it's actually going to get worse.

I look forward to the leechers fleeing and my connection increasing.

I tend to remote onto my machine during the day and queue up downloads then. They come down maxing out my powerline adaptors to my main laptop and are ready for evening viewing.

Funnily enough I was chatting to some WiManx peeps a while ago and up until fairly recently half their bandwidth was being consumed by a regular group of customers constantly downloading from newsgroups.

I look forward to the leechers fleeing and my connection increasing.

I tend to remote onto my machine during the day and queue up downloads then. They come down maxing out my powerline adaptors to my main laptop and are ready for evening viewing.

Funnily enough I was chatting to some WiManx peeps a while ago and up until fairly recently half their bandwidth was being consumed by a regular group of customers constantly downloading from newsgroups.

I did think that myself, but then again, having enough people abandon a service so that's what left is adequate for those remaining is hardly a stellar solution to the problem, is it?

Not everyone has the option to get downloads done during in the day, whereas for YouTube or other streaming that simply isn't an option anyway. And for online gaming you need a good, low-latency connection at the time of playing, you can't get that in advance.

If WiManx had a small hardcore of fanatical leechers then that's the issue they needed to address, ruining the internet experience for some/all of their customer base doesn't seem to have worked for anyone.

Considering they say they're prioritising streaming, the fact I can't even watch a 720p video on YouTube at certain times without it buffering every 15 seconds is pretty alarming.

You’re blaming the “leechers” when the issue is firmly with WiManx

Don’t offer and brag about an unlimited service and then lack the bandwidth

Maybe WiManx should actually spend some time looking into how much bandwith people use, and then budget accordingly? The exact opposite of what they did with this upgrade

They got caught out, and they can’t blame their own customers for the problems

I’m happy enough leaving things like my tv shows downloading overnight via scheduling in SabNZB, but when I can’t download a game patch or watch YouTube in the evening, it’s a problem

WiManx sold the company out and the customer service has gone to shit. Exactly the same as happened with MT a few years back

They have gone arrogant, refusing to admit to issues, whilst continuing to sell a service they can not support and fobbing customers off with bullshit excuses

Edited by somewhatdamaged

I don't understand why ISPs don't permanently limit the speed of nntp. Or simply block it completely. It worked perfectly fine at dial-up speeds but was never intended to be used for sharing large files (eg pirated movies, tv etc).

It's worth noting that the new FCC net-neutrality rules in the US allow for traffic management where maintaining QOS is the issue and, more importantly, apply specifically only to lawful web traffic. As far as I can see there is also nothing to stop a service provider from choosing to not support specific protocols.

Guest MrFunk

I heard this a while back from a mate so take with a big pinch of salt. However he is very well connected in all this.

They can't undo any changes because the upgrade was done at the MT end, they then discovered there were some pretty major hardware compatibility issues between MT and WiManx and ever since they've been waiting on MT to help them resolve it. It's nowehere near as simple as buying a bit more wholesale bandwidth. He was drunk at the time and may have been speaking total shit but it fits.

From my first hand experience 3 things seem certain

1. They aint just letting people out of their contracts

2. Problem, what problem, it's just a bit of contention and all part and parcel of our service agreement

3. They're not going to stop selling to new customers

Luckily with the Fritzbox it's very simple to tether a mobile device and I get brilliant 4g performance smile.png

Edited by MrFunk