Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

Guest MrFunk

Read it and weep! Is there a prize for the slowest?

4258443557.png

4258465729.png

Edit - Looks like it's Sure 4G for the night again.

Edited by MrFunk

Amazingly I did just manage to stream an episode of Better Call Saul on Netflix without interruption, albeit it kept flicking between SD and HD as it clearly couldn't get enough HD in the cache to maintain it (and the SD on Netflix is sub-VHS really, but at least it managed to keep the episode going).

The latency earlier on in the evening was just awful though, to the extent that Mrs Twonky and Twonky Jnr couldn't even play WoW properly (and we're just talking basic questing there), and WoW is one of the most latency-tolerant games in existence.

I really hope WiManx get on top of this sooner rather than later, let's just hope the work tomorrow morning starts to improve things.

Dunno how other people feel but the way this whole thing has dragged out with very little in the way of official acknowledgement and even less any sort of offer of compensation, has basically eroded years of my goodwill in a space of weeks. Especially so when my father-in-law rings them up and just gets fobbed off with a stock answer and suggestions that maybe his wireless isn't working properly.

If they'd have done some sort of official communication along the lines of 'Very sorry we know we have a problem, we're knocking a tenner off your bill every month until we get it sorted' approach, I think folks would feel a lot less aggrieved about it.

£35 per month for internet is pricey, but I felt it was fair for a rock-solid VDSL connection, £35 per month for what WiManx are serving up at the moment is something of a pisstake.

If they'd have done some sort of official communication along the lines of 'Very sorry we know we have a problem, we're knocking a tenner off your bill every month until we get it sorted' approach, I think folks would feel a lot less aggrieved about it.

This. 100 times this. There's been a lot of "my mate told me" and "i heard from an engineer" as opposed to a proper up front statement.

OT: Isn't BCS just awesome? Totally exceeded my already high expectations. The Mike centric episode was breathtaking.

4258573386.png

I have to agree with Twonky I was happy to pay over the odds for the flawless service and excellent customer service of the Wi-Manx of old but I will now be trying to get out of the contract and upgrade that I feel was miss sold.

This is a massive shame as I have been with them since August 2007.

I had a bad feeling about the buy out by Elite Comms Group, but ignored it, maybe I should have listened.

I just can't decide who to move to! I use the VOIP on wimanx, so that is a bit of a factor here.

I just can't decide who to move to! I use the VOIP on wimanx, so that is a bit of a factor here.

I'm out of contract so I could easily jump ship but I'm sticking with them for now, especially as they've announced downtime to make improvements.

Wasn't too long ago everyone went to Wimanx cos MT were being shite. Has everyone forgotten about that already?

I'll see what it's like in a week or two.

Rubbish. Nothing on their status page, people answering the phone have no idea if there's a problem. That's the sort of service you expect from MT, not WiManx.

I'm out of contract so I could easily jump ship but I'm sticking with them for now, especially as they've announced downtime to make improvements.

Wasn't too long ago everyone went to Wimanx cos MT were being shite. Has everyone forgotten about that already?

I'll see what it's like in a week or two.

Yes but the point is that it wasn't just that MT were shite, it was that their customer service was equally shite, it was impossible to get to speak to a techie, they denied there were any problems if you ever called them up even when there clearly was one, they used to do that borderline threatening thing whereby if you asked them to check something out they'd hang the threat of a bill over your head if the problem was with you and not with them, and so on.

That was what made WiManx such a breath of fresh air, not only was their internet better, their entire ethos was better.

And that's what's made this whole episode so unedifying. Problems happen, I get that, mistakes get made sometimes, a service may become degraded for a variety of perfectly valid reasons. It's how you handle those mistakes, how you communicate with your customers, and how you deliver good customer service when things aren't right that really counts.

Unfortunately that's where I feel WiManx have come up short, and they've been doing it for weeks now.

The other pain in the arse is of course that all the people I've recommended WiManx to over the years, are now asking me what the hell is going on......

Passing the buck to the 'underlying service provider' doesn't work for me either, between the two of them, there should have been a rollback plan if things went bad.

EDIT - I should just note that the people I've spoken to on the phone at WiManx have been absolutely fine, some clearer admission of problems from the top level is what I was after.

Edited by Twonky

Fantastic post on their facebook page :-

"Hi WiManx - please can you help? I'm losing the will! For well over a month now my broadband in the evenings is barely usable. I used to get 8-10mbps in the evenings and now only around 1, which simply is not enough for most things to function. Netflix is buffering even on its lowest settings for 30 seconds, just to play for about 5seconds. It's crazy, and the wife is foaming at the mouth about this telly impact.

When I rang to specifically lodge a complaint yesterday I was told this is due to you not having enough resource and waiting for MT to supply more, which may take a month! Then last night I saw there was network maintenance underway and briefly held a hope that I'd finally get back the service I'm paying for, but it is no better tonight, as you can see from this result, below. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can the loyal customer be given some useful info about when normal service will be resumed, as I've paid now a couple of months of service at £25 each for speeds like dialup. I don't want to change to another ISP after many years with wimanx, but might have no choice if we don't get clear communication about when these problems will end, and if I'b likely to get anything back in recognition of the wasted money I've been paying lately.

It's just an awful way to deal with your customers, especially when email enquiries are ignored and missleading excuses are given before the underlying issue was admitted. After all that, I was advised that if I'd like to make a complaint I could do it through your email address, but the fact is that the moment I began the call with "I'd like to make a complaint" it should formally have been treated as exactly that, and not a quick run through of excuses before concluding dismally that there's nothing I can do until your bandwidth upgrade is complete but that this may be at least a month yet?!! Surely there is something you can do for customers like me who are basically paying for service that's not fit for purpose currently?"

I was silly enough to ask for a 36 month contract when I moved to my new home a couple of weeks ago and I have now gone back in time 15 years:

4258616929.png

When I first reported it they told me there was nothing wrong, it was just an issue with their speedtest server (that's because I had sent them an image like the one above), as if I couldn't tell the overall performance was shit! I clarified but was completely ignored.

I'm one of those who have been recommending WiManx to everyone and their dogs but I've come to the sad realisation that they are now Wimanx in name only. The old company we knew is gone and I'm jumping ship.

Edited by TriskelionFive

Such a shame, I've had excellent service, great support and performance from WiManx until recently.

I'd really like to stick with them and give them a fair chance, but this level of performance isn't worth the money if it's going to continue for a while, and it's very disconcerting that even the simple things like service status aren't being updated, which raises grave doubts about what's happening there - afraid to update with what's going on, or just too busy firefighting ?

I hope they get back on track, if only because there aren't many other options - the MT service was glacial thanks to an undiagnosed line fault that was causing me terrible performance, which makes me wary of using them again. I've not heard anyone singing the praises of Sure or BlueWave, so there's no obvious candidate if WiManx throws in the towel.

The other problem I've personally noticed is a huge level of packet loss, which is making low-bandwidth stuff unusable too, I can't even hold a connection to a TeamSpeak server during the day sometimes.