"Regeneration" bollax

Manx Bean

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=75041

I am not singling out Mr Davison here, but I do wish they would stop using the word "Regeneration" to describe work that basically involves replacing a bit of pavement and a few street lamps - in effect bringing what was a bit of a tatty area back up to scratch. Its a pretty poor use of the word.

Town Regeneration are things like building useful housing or industrial spaces on brown field areas, not changing a pavement for one you don't break heels walking on.

I grant you - new paving and a bit of smart road has made Ramsey look a little bit tidier, but has it really had any economic benefit to the town?

So please Isle of Man Government - stop using the word for what is basically remedial highway maintenance!!

• Like 6

'is that in Euros?'

'Is it CAA approved?'

'did you clear the drains out?'

'it is bargain - what's the catch?'

'does a roundabout really need all that stuff?'

'how long to lay tarmac?'

'Where's my latest pay slip?'

'You'll stick to the plan won't you?'

All phrases the government need to learn.

• Like 1

The regeneration of Strand Street with the additional signage is ace.

Go on, you were on acid at the time and it looked extra special coz the rust stains look like talking squirrels, the chewing gum looks like fluffy clouds of cotton wool, the generally grubby tiles give you the sense of being in any town in the UK, I get all that....but even the strongest 1970's acid could not make the signs ace. What is to like?

• Like 4

I find that they give your journey an amazing sense of defined purpose and add an element of realism to what could otherwise be just a dream.

• Like 2

The regeneration of Strand Street with the additional signage is ace.

Go on, you were on acid at the time and it looked extra special coz the rust stains look like talking squirrels, the chewing gum looks like fluffy clouds of cotton wool, the generally grubby tiles give you the sense of being in any town in the UK, I get all that....but even the strongest 1970's acid could not make the signs ace. What is to like?

What is to like? Avoiding the place,I like that.

Just bear in mind, the real purpose of regeneration is

1. To keep staff working as opposed to sitting in vans drinking coffee (put them somewhere visible so they cant skive)

2. To keep certain local businesses profitable by buying materials and such, and thus protect those jobs.

Infrastructure investment seems piddling, but the knock on effect isnt seen by most.