Callows Yard owner requests £1m rates reduction over next 20 years

This would appear to take the biscuit. One of the prime movers in destroying the commercial heart of Castletown requests a £50,000 pa rate reduction because Castletown apparently isn't providing the right commercial environment for the business they are running as Tescos keep being refused an off-licence.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/callow-s-yard-owner-asks-to-be-given-a-rates-holiday-1-7086151

What is the betting the tinpot commissioners give in?

Edited by Wankleaks
  • Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't stand this jumped up little prick.   This man builds a complete white elephant of a shopping and holiday accommodation experience in castletown, need I say the buildings are built appalling

There has been so many threads about this already.   I was living in Castletown while this was going on. His plan was to set up competing businesses to put existing businesses out of... erm busines

I took my granddaughter down to Castletown on the train last week. Lovely, it was, quaint train journey, a go on the swings at Poulsom Park and then....   Well, a wander in to the town centre and

This would appear to take the biscuit. One of the prime movers in destroying the commercial heart of Castletown requests a £50,000 pa rate reduction because Castletown apparently isn't providing the right commercial environment for the business they are running as Tescos keep being refused an off-licence.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/callow-s-yard-owner-asks-to-be-given-a-rates-holiday-1-7086151

I think he has a good case.

I think it's realy unfair the way he has been treated, especialy over the Tesco plans.

Just who the fuck is in shoprites bed?

• Like 2

I can't stand this jumped up little prick.

This man builds a complete white elephant of a shopping and holiday accommodation experience in castletown, need I say the buildings are built appallingly too. Threatens all the existing shopkeepers of the town how he will compete and even put them out of business due to his commercial acumen. He then comes to realise that the people of castletown will not buy a washing up bowl for £60 so in order to recoup his mounting losses on the project, he surreptitiously rents out the said accommodation to DHSS occupants. He fails repeatedly to fall into bed with Tesco and then wants to build further accommodation units so us taxpayers can pay him handsomely to house further DHSS occupants, and now this latest wheeze.

Prick....

• Like 12

I can't stand this jumped up little prick.

This man builds a complete white elephant of a shopping and holiday accommodation experience in castletown, need I say the buildings are built appallingly too. Threatens all the existing shopkeepers of the town how he will compete and even put them out of business due to his commercial acumen. He then comes to realise that the people of castletown will not buy a washing up bowl for £60 so in order to recoup his mounting losses on the project, he surreptitiously rents out the said accommodation to DHSS occupants. He fails repeatedly to fall into bed with Tesco and then wants to build further accommodation units so us taxpayers can pay him handsomely to house further DHSS occupants, and now this latest wheeze.

Prick....

It is incredible: Castletown used to be a lovely vibrant town with a great range of little shops and cafes. Now it's a ghost town and yet one of the prime movers in making it a ghost town wants a rates holiday because apparently there's not much trade. The only reason why they are desparate to get Tescos approved is that they've failed to successfully retail anything from £4,000 Louis Vuitton bags to £60 washing up bowls in an attempt to take the town 'up market'. Now it's clearly all about making money off selling cheap booze and nothing else. Any Manx person could have told them 10 years ago that there's more money to be made selling cheap booze in Casltetown than ultra expensive designer goods that nobody either wants or can afford.

Edited by Wankleaks
  • Like 4

Castletowns retail sector is a mess. Or is it?

For all the tragedy of the vacant lot that is Callows Yard, is Castletown any the worse off for its' essential shopping outlets? Seems to me that there is still a butcher, a baker and all that is required by a small residential conurbation.

Castletowns commissioners should be sequestrated if they give in to this pressure!

• Like 1

Castletowns retail sector is a mess. Or is it?

For all the tragedy of the vacant lot that is Callows Yard, is Castletown any the worse off for its' essential shopping outlets? Seems to me that there is still a butcher, a baker and all that is required by a small residential conurbation.

Castletowns commissioners should be sequestrated if they give in to this pressure!

You are correct there are many good local traders: it's just Callows Yard that apparently appears to be unable to sell anything.

Edited by Wankleaks
  • Like 2

As I have said before, they can't sell anything because there are a lot of people that won't set foot in Callows Yard - even if the washing up bowls were £1.50.

It is a matter of principle, and I for one am really pleased that it is something that the people of Castletown and the South in general seem to have stuck to.

I really hope that CTTC don't agree to this, the man is a bully and has ruined Castletown beyond repair.

• Like 4

As I have said before, they can't sell anything because there are a lot of people that won't set foot in Callows Yard - even if the washing up bowls were £1.50.

It is a matter of principle, and I for one am really pleased that it is something that the people of Castletown and the South in general seem to have stuck to.

I really hope that CTTC don't agree to this, the man is a bully and has ruined Castletown beyond repair.

From the tales I have heard from small business who tried to set up in Callows yard it is unsurprising that the place is an empty shambles. you reap what you sow !

• Like 1

From the tales I have heard from small business who tried to set up in Callows yard it is unsurprising that the place is an empty shambles. you reap what you sow !
Unrealistic rent by any chance?

Unrealistic rent by any chance?

That and I believe their dealings with traders left a lot to be desired !

Just another example of a rich clever dick arriving on the island determined to show everyone how it should be done. Will they never learn?

Given the right level of sympathy for and understanding of the market, and less greedy pigheadedness, Callows Yard could possibly have worked, but arrogantly alienating the majority of his potential customer base was hardly the best way to go.

Of course the commissioners cannot agree to his stupid demand, or sequestration is the least painful punishment they can expect.

• Like 2

I don't know anyone who was involved in the development of this but have to say I feel a bit sorry for him - he tried to make something wonderful and it hasn't worked out. It prob would have been a huge success in somewhere like Chester or Bath. It must cost him a fair wedge just to continue running it. If I were him, I would sell the scheme, as it stands, and let someone else worry about it.

• Like 1