Callows Yard owner requests £1m rates reduction over next 20 years

Castletowns retail sector is a mess. Or is it?

For all the tragedy of the vacant lot that is Callows Yard, is Castletown any the worse off for its' essential shopping outlets? Seems to me that there is still a butcher, a baker and all that is required by a small residential conurbation.

Castletowns commissioners should be sequestrated if they give in to this pressure!

... yes, but is there a candlestick maker?

• Like 2
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't stand this jumped up little prick.   This man builds a complete white elephant of a shopping and holiday accommodation experience in castletown, need I say the buildings are built appalling

There has been so many threads about this already.   I was living in Castletown while this was going on. His plan was to set up competing businesses to put existing businesses out of... erm busines

I took my granddaughter down to Castletown on the train last week. Lovely, it was, quaint train journey, a go on the swings at Poulsom Park and then....   Well, a wander in to the town centre and

Castletowns retail sector is a mess. Or is it?

For all the tragedy of the vacant lot that is Callows Yard, is Castletown any the worse off for its' essential shopping outlets? Seems to me that there is still a butcher, a baker and all that is required by a small residential conurbation.

Castletowns commissioners should be sequestrated if they give in to this pressure!

... yes, but is there a candlestick maker?

No...a butcher, a baker and a catastrophe maker.
  • Like 2

Merkin

I think you are partially right but the scheme was ill thought out in the first place. Access is poor etc. Without a good tenant the place will have very low value and he quite possibly cant afford to take the loss.

I don't know anyone who was involved in the development of this but have to say I feel a bit sorry for him - he tried to make something wonderful and it hasn't worked out. It prob would have been a huge success in somewhere like Chester or Bath. It must cost him a fair wedge just to continue running it. If I were him, I would sell the scheme, as it stands, and let someone else worry about it.

That's a bit like feeling sorry for Saddam Hussains bad treatment by the worlds press.

• Like 2

He has left the island.

I heard that he was relocating to the Channel Islands.

It will be interesting to see if he makes a Callows Yard for them.

Bergerac's Patio?

• Like 4

I don't know anyone who was involved in the development of this but have to say I feel a bit sorry for him - he tried to make something wonderful and it hasn't worked out. It prob would have been a huge success in somewhere like Chester or Bath. It must cost him a fair wedge just to continue running it. If I were him, I would sell the scheme, as it stands, and let someone else worry about it.

I'm sure he'd love to, Merkin, but I can't see the offers flooding in, can you?

If you let pointless and barely elected local councils (11 candidates for 9 seats in 2012 in Castletown) take decisions about public money this is the kind of shit you have to put up with.

Do you seriously think central government are any better?

Depends what you mean by "better". I would say that a centralised authority taking on all the functions of local councils would be more efficient than the current system. More importantly, it would be accountable for the taxes it raises than local authorities currently are.

I wouldn't mind but when taxes are being levied there needs to be a fair and accountable system, and people need to have a say in how the money is raised and handled. That is not offered by the current system. We all live and share this very small island. We should all be paying the same rates for amenities. Political representation of local areas should be through election to our parliament.

• Like 1

If you let pointless and barely elected local councils (11 candidates for 9 seats in 2012 in Castletown) take decisions about public money this is the kind of shit you have to put up with.

Depends what you mean by "better". I would say that a centralised authority taking on all the functions of local councils would be more efficient than the current system.

One of the most astonishing opinions I have ever read. I can only conclude that you are a bureaucrat. If not, I don't understand how you think that something operating in the way that Douglas Council does is more efficient than groups of low or no paid locals working to hire in services.

Think of it more along the lines of the Strand Shopping Centre. They wouldn't have had any offers until it was marketed for sale under duress.

I'm sure he'd love to, Merkin, but I can't see the offers flooding in, can you?

Depends what you mean by "better". I would say that a centralised authority taking on all the functions of local councils would be more efficient than the current system.

One of the most astonishing opinions I have ever read. I can only conclude that you are a bureaucrat. If not, I don't understand how you think that something operating in the way that Douglas Council does is more efficient than groups of low or no paid locals working to hire in services.

You want to hear what the Islamists have got to say about government!

I actually despise unnecessary bureaucracy, which is why I support unification of local authorities. There are currently 24 separate bureaucracies with their own HR, treasury, management, etc. where we only need one.

As for the low paid or volunteer workers, I see no reason why they cannot continue to work in the same way. The way Douglas Corporation does things is partly symptomatic of the problem in local government politics where there is little public scrutiny in the workings of the council. (one third of wards in last election were uncontested, btw!).

My main objection is that of "no taxation without representation". Local authority elections are a worthless farce and a mockery of democracy. If you want to take my money and spend it as you please, and make decisions about my local area you had better make sure I get a say in how that is done. That is not happening at the moment.

• Like 1