Texting and emailing at the wheel must stop warns MHK

Wann

Surely if he's going to say this, he should back it up with statistics such as "X number of road accidents on the island were directly associated with texting and emailing at the wheel. X of which were serious enough to cause injury"

Confiscate the car. No if's, no but's, text or otherwise use a mobile hone while driving and loose the car.

Just as driving 'over the limit' means loss of license, break the law re mobile phone use and --- no car.

I do so like "eye for a tooth" solutions. They really appeal to me and I am sure they would be effective in all sorts of law enforcement areas. However, the current kerfuffle is just the bloated public sector looking for stuff to do as ever, rather than a response to any injuries or deaths so caused.

Just make the sanctions draconian and that will do the trick. I would also ban hands free as it has been proven to be 30% more deleterious to driving reactions than driving at the legal drink limit and, I would say, a hell of a lot more distracting in the here and now than a drink you had an hour ago. http://www.brake.org.uk/news/1211-mobilephones2014

Surely if he's going to say this, he should back it up with statistics such as "X number of road accidents on the island were directly associated with texting and emailing at the wheel. X of which were serious enough to cause injury"

Hello....this is John Houghton. The Arseholes Arsehole.

• Like 1

People driving whilst texting or emailing really aren't fit to hold a licence. Who would be happy to run the risk of these idiots driving into the back of your car and injuring your babies?

Fine them, ban them and make them resit their test in 12 months time.

It's win win.

• Like 1

A bit like the old geezer I saw a couple of years ago doing 15mph whilst balancing a flask and a cuppa on the steering wheel. Astonishing what you can actually do whilst supposedly controlling a vehicle. Never seen anyone actually shagging, but it certainly wouldn't faze me.

A bit like the old geezer I saw a couple of years ago doing 15mph whilst balancing a flask and a cuppa on the steering wheel. Astonishing what you can actually do whilst supposedly controlling a vehicle. Never seen anyone actually shagging, but it certainly wouldn't faze me.

What ?

Seeing it, or doing it ?thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

What ?

Seeing it, or doing it ?thumbsup.gif

Seeing it. Doing it I'd probably be the one that got caught. And probably by the wife at that.

John Houghton will always be remembered, rightly so, as the guy who tried to underhandedly screw the electorate to pay for his future. Anything that comes out of his mouth from the moment that came out is null and void. He doesn't deserve another penny from the state until the day he croaks it.

End of.

• Like 3

Mobile phones are a real distraction for sure, especially if some nob head is surfing facebook or sending a text but a ban or taking their car seems a little heavy handed. 3 - 6 points should do the job depending on what they were doing and how dangerous it was. Driving on country track in Bride vs going through Quarterbridge in rush hour.

I can't see the problem? I do most of my posts on here from my iPhone whilst driv

Sent from my iPhone

Nice try Max but here's the qualifying standard for the Olympics.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11400127/Driver-caught-using-laptop-mobile-phone-and-headphones-at-the-wheel-in-rush-hour.html

I can't see the problem? I do most of my posts on here from my iPhone whilst driv

Sent from my iPhone

Nice try Max but here's the qualifying standard for the Olympics.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11400127/Driver-caught-using-laptop-mobile-phone-and-headphones-at-the-wheel-in-rush-hour.html

Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Max Power