Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
robby14

Car Leasing

1 hour ago, WTF said:

do modern cars last 10 years without spending a lot on them?   they have lots of electrics to go wrong.

Good point. Perhaps Max could say whether cars are as good as they used to be?

2 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Why should that be? Surely the mechanical (moving) parts should be wearing out quicker? Granted the alternator has moving parts,  the CO2 sensor are they in the exhaust? So perhaps heat plays a part,  and I suppose the coil is HT so we'll let that off, but generally electrics should be more reliable surely?

You've never owned anything French!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Electrics/electronics, the obligatory sales floor "driver aids" much of which are now compulsory via legislation. All knobs, bells and whistles for the new buyer, toys and trinkets.

But they are built in obsolescence. Often with a life expectancy of 5 or 6 years before vibration, water ingress and heat and cold start taking their toll.

Leaving the 2nd hand buyer (because the new buyer has chopped it in long before) with repair estimates, including labour, that often exceed the value of the vehicle even though the mechanical components are still in good order. So it gets scrapped because the mechanicals won't work without the electronics. 

But this is the consumer-driven disposable goods society. So it's ok.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'd consider it after doing my sums, the amount of depreciation would make the decision and I'd be looking at the overall costs over six years, which is a two car period. What has changed my mind is the move to electrification and the potential for big drops in value. I'd probably look at hybrid rather than full electric. 

My current car is a used diesel, an outright purchase of a new car just seems too extravagant with the depreciation involved.   

They reckon the next credit crunch will be triggered in the vehicle leasing industry when some seismic change will shift in re-sale values on stock they are contracted to take back under their agreements and (or) people’s inability to fund their leases if the economy gets rocky after Brexit. I agree with you depreciation is staggering enough as is with most run of the mill models but technology changes at some point are just going to write vehicles back to being almost worthless. Let the PCP company go down over it rather than you be left with a car nobody wants to take off your hands. 

Edited by MrPB
Typos

2 hours ago, WTF said:

do modern cars last 10 years without spending a lot on them?   they have lots of electrics to go wrong.

46 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

well mine is a 2003 and the biggest non service item was a new alternator £200 and a couple of co2 sensors and a coil pack.............electrics and electronics as you say.

12 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Why should that be? Surely the mechanical (moving) parts should be wearing out quicker? Granted the alternator has moving parts,  the CO2 sensor are they in the exhaust? So perhaps heat plays a part,  and I suppose the coil is HT so we'll let that off, but generally electrics should be more reliable surely?

11 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Doc with his 2003 is in the sweet spot. Around the turn of the century was good. They'd figured out how to stop them rotting by then - and they never do. Then a few years later, and certainly over 10 years ago now, they realised that the bloody things were going to last for ever and they'd jolly well better build some obsolescence back in to make them die.

That was the electronics. Once your car gets to a certain age its processors or, if you like, the "brain" that makes the whole of the electronics function will start to go wonky/have a stroke/completely die, and when it does that, if your vehicle is of an age it is just not going to be worth you spending the money to put it right and you will write it off.

That's the plan chaps. It even extends to our wonderful "green" Mercedes Citaro Enviro buses. They have had to reduce the projected life and value of them explicitly because the electronics dictate that they will die sooner than earlier models.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But this is the consumer-driven disposable goods society. So it's ok.

What about your carbon footprint??!!!!  :o:D

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chris C said:

Generally better, as wooley has mentioned, mechanically the good manufacturers have it sussed, the later electronics are the concern. There is usually someone who can be found who reconditions popular electronic units but as they become more complex, finding the diagnostic skills at a reasonable price becomes an issue. It's really steering more and more people into PCPs.

• Like 2

I love a good pipe-and-slippers, "everything was better in the days of old" MF topic. We haven't had one in quite a while!

2 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

I love a good pipe-and-slippers, "everything was better in the days of old" MF topic. We haven't had one in quite a while!

You should post more often then... :thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You should post more often

Thank you!

And you should post less.  So I guess the universe is in balance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, MrPB said:

Things are changing fast. You won’t be able to give a diesel away soon. Anyone who buys a new car with cash is crackers. You might as well set fire to a mountain of cash. It’s simply not a sensible way to deploy capital. 

I'd extend that to say that anyone who buys a new car using any means is crackers. 

1 hour ago, Merkin said:

I'd extend that to say that anyone who buys a new car using any means is crackers. 

Probably true on the IoM but elsewhere where people need them to get to work on long commutes or cover a big mileage generally, having a reliable car with low maintenance requirements is important.  

Rot. Anything under 5 years old perfectly ok. 

1 minute ago, Merkin said:

Rot. Anything under 5 years old perfectly ok. 

You'd better tell them then. 

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

You'd better tell them then. 

Lol.

World - listen up!  A 3 year old car is cheaper and just as reliable as a new car!! 

• Like 1