Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
robby14

Car Leasing

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I have seen a few Tesla electric cars around . Who does the servicing for these cars on the Island ?

The Model3 looks interesting ..

The nearest centre is Manchester. You will become very familiar with the route, providing that you have enough charge to get from Heysham that is.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Electric cars a new problem - brilliant 

Majestic Apartments is home to a number of affluent residents - there are a small number whom have purchased electric cars and charge them in "their" garages.

That is the issue as the garages at Majestic are only metered back to one point and are billed out of Communal fees not to the owners of the individual apartments - cue first world arguments, "I'm not paying to charge his Tesla etc etc"....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Electric cars a new problem - brilliant 

Majestic Apartments is home to a number of affluent residents - there are a small number whom have purchased electric cars and charge them in "their" garages.

That is the issue as the garages at Majestic are only metered back to one point and are billed out of Communal fees not to the owners of the individual apartments - cue first world arguments, "I'm not paying to charge his Tesla etc etc"....

To be honest, I wouldn't like the thought of an electric car on charge under my apartment. When they catch fire, they are impossible to extinguish, the batteries generate their own oxygen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

To be honest, I wouldn't like the thought of an electric car on charge under my apartment. When they catch fire, they are impossible to extinguish, the batteries generate their own oxygen.

Yeah but it's Majestic Apartments - most of them need their own cylinders for oxygen.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope to buy an electric car in the next year or two. Was wondering has anyone here tried to do the sums as to pence per mile compared to petrol or diesel? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Power said:

To be honest, I wouldn't like the thought of an electric car on charge under my apartment. When they catch fire, they are impossible to extinguish, the batteries generate their own oxygen.

Especially as that place has form for "unexplained" conflagrations

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I hope to buy an electric car in the next year or two. Was wondering has anyone here tried to do the sums as to pence per mile compared to petrol or diesel? 

I read somewhere that it works out at around 2-3 pence per mile on electric against 30-40 pence per mile for petrol or diesel, not sure how much MUA pricing structure would skew that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, finlo said:

I read somewhere that it works out at around 2-3 pence per mile on electric against 30-40 pence per mile for petrol or diesel, not sure how much MUA pricing structure would skew that!

From my research  it seems to be correct.Also the home electric  bill would  get cheaper as you end up on a lower tariff ( at off peak hours) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2019 at 10:03 AM, mad_manx said:

From my research  it seems to be correct.Also the home electric  bill would  get cheaper as you end up on a lower tariff ( at off peak hours) 

But the lower tariff is only applicable if you meet a set KWH target, as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, Andy Onchan said:

But the lower tariff is only applicable if you meet a set KWH target, as I recall.

They  say that they will monitor for fair use to see if there is any sudden spike in usage at night  after you are given lower rates .

 

I know many with EV but I have not heard of anyone having issues with this.  They all run their washer dryers at off peak hours ;-)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 9:25 PM, NoTail said:

I hope to buy an electric car in the next year or two. Was wondering has anyone here tried to do the sums as to pence per mile compared to petrol or diesel? 

pence per mile based on 'fuel' only is the last bit of the story and the only bit that makes .  when you factor in the initial extra cost over a similar spec petrol or diesel car,  renting the batteries  ( renault )  or having to replace them in a few years  it just isn't worth the outlay yet.  the extra cost of the vehicle alone is an awful lot of fuel money to put into a car doing 50+ mpg  that performs just as well in the wet , cold and dark with the wipers, heater and lights on  unlike your battery version.  and don't forget that when electric does become mainstream, eventually,  government will tax the fuck out of it to replace the lost fuel duty income and internal combustion engine road vehicle licence fees.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, WTF said:

pence per mile based on 'fuel' only is the last bit of the story and the only bit that makes .  when you factor in the initial extra cost over a similar spec petrol or diesel car,  renting the batteries  ( renault )  or having to replace them in a few years  it just isn't worth the outlay yet.  the extra cost of the vehicle alone is an awful lot of fuel money to put into a car doing 50+ mpg  that performs just as well in the wet , cold and dark with the wipers, heater and lights on  unlike your battery version.  and don't forget that when electric does become mainstream, eventually,  government will tax the fuck out of it to replace the lost fuel duty income and internal combustion engine road vehicle licence fees.

Agree. But it depends on usage and how much you were spending on a petrol car into the first place. Our commuting distances are low which is ideal for a  EV. 

 

It is a myth that you have to replace batteries in EV's every few years. With usage the range decreases  slowly with time .

Most manufacturers are confident enough to guarantee  the battery till 100k miles. 

Remember that there is no BIK on an electric car in the first place if its through a limited company.

Just like fossil fuel car its always more cost effective to lease .

Edited by mad_manx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...