A Good Send Off

Gladys

No husband comes with the kids !

Wrong way round.

Sorry to hear your news, Gladys. Don't be too hasty about ruling out another. If we always put the bitter grief of loss above the unbounded joy of togetherness, we would never be with anyone or anything. Focus on the good times and good luck.

Oh Dear, Gladys. How sad for you. My eyes are stinging from reading your post.

We had to say goodbye to our little terrier 7 years ago at 19 and our little Cavalier three and a half years ago at 13 and I held them both and talked to them as they gently went away.

We missed having a pet so much but it took well over a year to bring another pet into our home. Our new boy is totally different so he doesn't remind us of others.

We're all so devoted to our dogs, aren't we, and they to us. So hard for you x

Gladys, I am sincerely sorry to read that you will have to loose your old dog. Based on the opinion that I gave arrived at over the years on this forum I am sure that he could not have had a more loving home than he has had with you and your family.

It's hard to find the right words to say at this time Gladys, these quotes sum up my thoughts pretty well.

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'” - Dave Barry

"A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down." - Robert Benchley

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." - Josh Billings

“When an eighty-five pound mammal licks your tears away, then tries to sit on your lap, it's hard to feel sad.” - Kristan Higgans

• Like 2

Chin up gal! Dogs are one of the family more than any other pet & it's never easy to say goodbye whatever the circumstances. At least you're getting the chance to spoil him a bit though - good for both of you, & what you're doing helping him on his way is the best thing you could do for anyone, heartbreaking though it is.

So, we have a week to spoil him rotten before the inevitable. Obviously, being a Lab, that involves food and possibly a swim off the slipway in Douglas Harbour. Other than that, we'll just pat him lots and cuddle him, I may even let him unfettered access to the kitchen bin.

Let him re-enact my avatar.

Sorry to hear about your dog Gladys, I'm sure he will have a wonderful few days doing fabulous labtastic things.

I lost mine just over a year ago, and whilst I haven't got a new one yet, I do miss having a dog.

I have always had adult rescues, but I really would like a puppy from the breeder of my last one, its just not the best time to have a pup at the moment.

I would second what woolley said. Don't be hasty to rule out another for ever, it sounds like your family have provided a wonderful home and life, and Roly seems to have provided you with such joy, it would be a shame to never have another one - for man and dog.

Hope you have a week filled with fabulous memories xx

Thanks to everyone for the really comforting posts. Sadly, I don't think we will see the week out. Lovely (slow) walk up Port Soderick glen today, but it has buggered him.

Again thanks for the really nice posts. I wanted to re-post a very funny situation from his younger days, but I can't search back that far.

Cheers all, much appreciated.

X

• Like 1

Labradors are such wonderful dogs, such great big soppy companions who will eat everything but be soft and gentle around everyone. I remember all the times she dived into every body of water she saw, lay down alongside me and was just plain daft!

I am sure you will have similar memories and they will bring you comfort eventually.

Edited by manxman1980

Sad to report Roly's demise this evening, peacefully with his head on my lap and his family with him. It was the right decision as he was no longer enjoying life, it was an increasing battle for the old boy but, of course, his tail was wagging right up to the end. (The vet said that was typical of Labs who she had seen would continue to wag their tail despite terrible injury, it just made us hesitate a little.)

Thanks again for all your thoughtful posts.

x

• Like 2