Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Manx Gas

Another hour of pre-recorded clips and music coming up then followed by a lack of calls Talking Heads (HARDLY)

If they don't call in what can you do?

Were any in-depth questions asked or was it yet another missed opportunity ..?

Not really. David Quirk said that the fact that OFT had made no comment actually meant they were a professional organisation.

The fact that their communication on the subject wasn't predicted and wasn't produced in itself makes them look peculiarly amateur.

Same goes for Quirk, amateurs running professional outfits, really?

Not really. David Quirk said that the fact that OFT had made no comment actually meant they were a professional organisation.

Not quite. When Mr Moss (?) suggested that Mr Quirk's and the OFT's lengthy silence made them appear somewhat weak, he replied that no, it made them seem more professional. Apparently because they are a statutory body and can only deal with facts. The reason why that should lead to a lengthy silence on such a radical change in people's lives escapes me. I feel a bit sorry for Mr Quirk, he's clearly well out of his depth. Stu Peters did his best to defend him, but there's no getting away from the fact that he is an elected representative of the people as well as the head of the OFT, and therefore the first and obvious point of contact to respond to people's fears and frustrations.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that the 25 pounds maximum loss or gain, depending on which side of neutral any given bill payer might receive, applies purely to the standing charge irrespective of gas usage?

... Stu Peters did his best to defend him ...

How unusual ...

I think it's fair enough that as a referee Stu Peters should appear neutral and nobody else was sympathising with Mr Quirk. However, Talking Heads seems a pretty lightweight vehicle to be dealing with such issues, but I suppose it's all we've got. I don't think most people care really, which is why Manx Gas will get away with it. I don't see Mr Quirk getting re-elected though. He's put his own head in the political oven.

Non of our MHK;s seem willing to ask the, to me anyway, most pertinent question of the day, - How can Mr Ball and Mr quirk quantify signing this contract with MG? without taking it to Tinpotland.

Its now well past time, we the public were given some answers , the two of them have a lot to answer for over this matter, and both must surely face some form of censure.

The question was asked in October Tynwald by Mrs Beecroft, after some reminding the CM issued a letter to Mrs Beecroft (copying all Tynwald members) dated 27th Oct. It does not really say much, basically "There was no requirement for the agreement to be brought before Tynwald"

If you want to see the entire letter I'm sure your local MHK will be happy to let you have a copy .... I'm not going to post it on here as I was shown the letter in confidence.

Have a look on the LibVan facebook page, it's on there.

How unusual ...

I think it's fair enough that as a referee Stu Peters should appear neutral and nobody else was sympathising with Mr Quirk. However, Talking Heads seems a pretty lightweight vehicle to be dealing with such issues, but I suppose it's all we've got. I don't think most people care really, which is why Manx Gas will get away with it. I don't see Mr Quirk getting re-elected though. He's put his own head in the political oven.

If it's a gas oven he should be ok.

Dear Kate...

Re: Tynwald Sitting October 2015 - Oral Question 20 Manx Gas Agreement

I am writing to you following the commitment given in my response to your question during the October 2015 sitting of Tynwald regarding the agreement between Manx Gas, the Office of Fair Trading, the Department of Economic Development and the Treasury.

Statutory basis for the agreement
There are four parties to the Agreement: The Office of Fair Trading
The Treasury
The Department of Economic Development Manx Gas Limited

The statutory basis for which the representatives of the Isle of Man Government noted above have entered into the agreement are identified as below:-

Office of Fair Trading
Section 57 of the Consumer Protection Act 1991 the OFT has a statutory role to protect inform/ advise/ support and represent generally the interests of consumers. It entered into the agreement on the basis that it protects consumers from the potential effects of the monopoly enjoyed by Manx Gas Ltd in the gas supply market.

Treasury
Section 4(1)(a) of the Financial Provisions and Currency Act 2011 gives the Treasury powers in relation to promote or improve the Island’s economy and the social wellbeing of the Island. In this case, energy provision is vital to the economy and social wellbeing of the Island.

Department of Economic Development
Under Schedule section 1Part 2 to the Enterprise Act 2008, the Department has powers to:

To take such other steps, or do such other things, as the Department may consider necessary for the proper discharge of the functions specified in Part 1.

In Schedule section 1Part 1of the Enterprise Act 2008, the Department has functions including:

1. To further economic development
2. To provide, maintain and safeguard employment in the economy
3. To promote economic efficiency and competitiveness

As the availability and pricing of energy is integral to economic development and growth, the Department has powers to enter into this agreement.

In addition, the Department acts as 'sponsor' for the Office of Fair Trading.

Why was the agreement not brought before Tynwald?

There was no requirement for the agreement to be brought before Tynwald.
I hope you will find these answers helpful.
Yours sincerely

How unusual ...

I don't think most people care really ...

I think you're correct. And most of those who do care about the scurrilous grasping of MG/IOMG don't care enough. The same apathy and inertia can be seen in the (non) voters.

I'd bet Quirk gets back in regardless of the adverse exposure he's getting now.

• Like 1

I wonder if anyone can confirm that the 25 pounds maximum loss or gain, depending on which side of neutral any given bill payer might receive, applies purely to the standing charge irrespective of gas usage?

No. It's the whole package. Supposedly, what you lose on the standing charge you pull back on the gas reduction.

• Like 1