Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Max Power

Manx Gas

This Gov't is totally out of control now and is rapidly bringing the Island totally to it's knees, and I fear 2016 will not arrive in time.

Unfortunately we have a very limited choice in 2016.

Do we

1) Stick with the same lot, because of their experience ( ha bloody ha )

2) Vote for anyone who isn't elected at the moment, ie a whole new set with no experience.

Personally, I think it matters not one jot because they are all controlled by their Civil Service overlords.

However ....

It's worth voting to oust the incumbents as a punishment for their ineptitude.

Just my two pennyworth.

Agreed and we may end up with some stronger characters in government who may actually stand up to the civil servants.

• Like 1

That's certainly needed, but how do you achieve it when the public sector has grown so large that every constituency has a large contingent to whom prospective candidates must kowtow.

• Like 1

That's certainly needed, but how do you achieve it when the public sector has grown so large that every constituency has a large contingent to whom prospective candidates must kowtow.

only poor people vote. hence the poor turnout tonight; can't afford umbrellas

Hmmm, an interesting conundrum.

From the MHK point view that's easy - just keep the CS onside by not rocking the boat and collect the votes as your reward.

From the CS point of view - turkeys never vote for an early Christmas

Quite an elegant solution to all this democracy nonsense - saves so much effort really ....

After much thought and deliberation I would therefore conclude we're f*cked. ( sorry , more accurately, I meant just us plebs are f*cked - to avoid any confusion )

• Like 2

We need a commonsense dictator really.

We need to get our act together and take a discerning interest in local politics instead of the insidious apathy permeating Manx politics, And by 'we', I mean not just moaning twats on MF or IOMTODAY, a fair percentage, it would be fair to assume, don't fucking vote! Let's face it, voters are a sizable minority here on the Island which just serves to perpetuate outcomes of poor selection/choice.

If a postman can have a red letter day ...

• Like 5

We need a commonsense dictator really.

We need to get our act together and take a discerning interest in local politics instead of the insidious apathy permeating Manx politics, And by 'we', I mean not just moaning twats on MF or IOMTODAY, a fair percentage, it would be fair to assume, don't fucking vote! Let's face it, voters are a sizable minority here on the Island which just serves to perpetuate outcomes of poor selection/choice.

If a postman can have a red letter day ...

But too many of them are just totally disengaged and some of them are just thick. Democracy is way overrated as a system of government. It's like asking the great unwashed about their theory on relativity. Pointless.

• Like 3

All gone quiet at Manx Gas.

Manx Gas accounts will be "scrutinised" following its decision to ramp up the standing charge for gas customers.

Also from fm energy

Douglas West MHK Chris Thomas is concerned about additional costs being incurred and wants the OFT to take responsibility. (At least someone is asking decent question)
David Quirk says nothing will be hidden but appeared to pass some responsibility saying concerns should be directed to Manx Gas itself: (At least someone knows how to duck, but he's out of his comfort zone and comfy chair, Horlicks and a pair of slippers won't help this time)

So what exactly does scrutinised mean?

Oh I know what it says in the dictionary but we're playing with politicians and high end civil servants here who twist words quicker than a tongue twister - so how will the accounts be scrutinised that will make everyone's gas bill the same or less than it was before or is it just more rubbish waste bin words?

To he fair manx gas haven't said everyone will have a cheaper bill.

Rather than being concerned with the instant effects of the new charge scheme, the OFT should be more concerned with the future costs imo. Manx Gas have been very poor in passing on the market movements to its customers in respect of the product price (which is coincidentally very high ). Their 'profit guarantee' makes it inevitable that any commodity rise will be passed on to the consumer and it is at that point that the full impact of the changes to the charging scheme will be felt by all. The actions or maybe inactions of the OFT have given manx gas a perfect justification for price rises whilst not falling foul of its profit margin !

From a moral point of view, it is ridiculous that the companies customers are paying wildly varying rates for delivery of the product and also for the product itself.

I have calculated that in respect of my change to oil, even if the oil price doubles I shall be no worse off than the position I would have been in on the 1st Jan sticking with gas !

asitis,

There's a surplus of oil sloshing about at the moment, looks like it'll stay that way for some years to come. Don't know about the rock but down here I've just been quoted £337.05 for 1,000l incl. VAT & delivery. So even if you pay 20% more it's still a bargain compared to Manx Gas.

To he fair manx gas haven't said everyone will have a cheaper bill.

That's true, but it's revenue neutral for MG, allegedly . Not expenditure neutral for their customers.

• Like 1