Local News

Ringwraith

Just checked a local radio website local news section. Kidnap case, attempted murder case, stabbing case and a dead teenager found on local shores WTF is going on.

Fortunately these things don't happen very often and the top copper is more concerned about alcohol licensing.

Did they catch the thieves yet??

Just checked a local radio website local news section. Kidnap case, attempted murder case, stabbing case and a dead teenager found on local shores WTF is going on.

Fortunately these things don't happen very often and the top copper is more concerned about alcohol licensing.

Did they catch the thieves yet??

So the kidnap case involved people from the UK coming over trying to get someone to go back to them. Not a lot the Police could have done about preventing that, although it was down to there being a Police Officer at the Sea Terminal that the kidnapped person was able to alert them.

I think the attempted murder case was two people who knew each other. How do the Police prevent that from happening?

The Halloween stabbing was at a party where I think both parties were at and knew each other? Again, not a lot the Police could have done about that.

The news is saying that the teen death is not suspicious, so how could the Police have prevented that?

As the Chief Constable said at the Licencing Court this morning, a lot of crime committed in the evenings is down to people who have been intoxicated or been in pubs/nightclubs. By either reducing them drinking, or better enforcing laws about serving drunk people then this can hopefully reduce the amount of crime committed. Which is what the Police's aim is!

• Like 7

this is low crime iom! no doubt Wooley will be along to tell us how bad things are on the mainland (even though they ain't)

Entirely depends where you are of course. If I had to live over there, it would be either Northern Scotland - love the space, although I would spend the winter abroad, or the far South West of England, a la GD4. Nowhere else appeals even slightly, and yes, I travel widely there.

this is low crime iom! no doubt Wooley will be along to tell us how bad things are on the mainland (even though they ain't)

Entirely depends where you are of course. If I had to live over there, it would be either Northern Scotland - love the space, although I would spend the winter abroad, or the far South West of England, a la GD4. Nowhere else appeals even slightly, and yes, I travel widely there.

north yorkshire?

The point I was making - badly it seems, was that there appear to be an unusual number of serious crimes at the moment. There are others than the ones I originally listed. Added to that we have the recent spate of burglaries.

I wasn't saying these crimes could have been prevented by the police, neither was I knocking their efforts in the burglaries. Burglaries are notoriously difficult to stop due to the opportunistic nature and quick entry / exit, often in and out within seconds or a minute or so at the most and off back into the bushes.

It was more a comment on the times I suppose, rising crime and rising seriousness of crime.

Whilst supporting a friend in court I heard the judge state (on another case) that Facebook was the cause of many of the hearings. Maybe we should ban Facebook, alcohol and people from the UK and the IOM would once again be crime free!

north yorkshire?

Prefer Northumberland to North Yorks actually, but not to the extent of the other two places which I think are exceptionally beautiful with a similar ambience to our own.

Meanwhile,Henderson,Houghton and Watterson seem to think that horse mounted special constables are the answer to our policing problems.

Considering the expense of initially purchasing horses and saddlery,plus the costs of dedicated equine stabling facilities and staff to run them,veterinary costs,insurance,personnel training costs,farrier costs and a myriad of other associated expenses just confirms that certain MHK's are half witted crackpots completely devoid of common sense.

If they want the police mounted,buy them a bloody pushbike each.

From Manx Radio News:

Mounted police not likely on Island in near future

Published online at 18/02/2015 13:55:00

It’s unlikely the Island will see police on horseback in the near future.

However, Home Affairs Minister Juan Watterson says he can see the merits of such an initiative.

North Douglas MHK Bill Henderson suggested it would be a good way to expand the invaluable service provided by the Island’s special constabulary.

Mr Watterson said given budgetary constraints, all options would be assessed and that the issue would be on the agenda at a workshop the Chief Constable is hosting tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss its future structure.

He added he had discussed the matter with Gary Roberts and research had been carried out into the use of mounted officers in the UK.

Edited by Lisenchuk

Meanwhile,Henderson,Houghton and Watterson seem to think that horse mounted special constables are the answer to our policing problems.

Considering the expense of initially purchasing horses and saddlery,plus the costs of dedicated equine stabling facilities and staff to run them,veterinary costs,insurance,personnel training costs,farrier costs and a myriad of other associated expenses just confirms that certain MHK's are half witted crackpots completely devoid of common sense.

If they want the police mounted,buy them a bloody pushbike each.

From Manx Radio News:

Mounted police not likely on Island in near future

Published online at 18/02/2015 13:55:00

It’s unlikely the Island will see police on horseback in the near future.

However, Home Affairs Minister Juan Watterson says he can see the merits of such an initiative.

North Douglas MHK Bill Henderson suggested it would be a good way to expand the invaluable service provided by the Island’s special constabulary.

Mr Watterson said given budgetary constraints, all options would be assessed and that the issue would be on the agenda at a workshop the Chief Constable is hosting tomorrow (Thursday) to discuss its future structure.

He added he had discussed the matter with Gary Roberts and research had been carried out into the use of mounted officers in the UK.

Police Horses cost an absolute fortune to stable and keep.

Plus vet bills

Ask any one owning their own horse what the outlay is.

A complete nonsence

• Like 2

The point I was making - badly it seems, was that there appear to be an unusual number of serious crimes at the moment. There are others than the ones I originally listed. Added to that we have the recent spate of burglaries.

I wasn't saying these crimes could have been prevented by the police, neither was I knocking their efforts in the burglaries. Burglaries are notoriously difficult to stop due to the opportunistic nature and quick entry / exit, often in and out within seconds or a minute or so at the most and off back into the bushes.

It was more a comment on the times I suppose, rising crime and rising seriousness of crime.

Whilst supporting a friend in court I heard the judge state (on another case) that Facebook was the cause of many of the hearings. Maybe we should ban Facebook, alcohol and people from the UK and the IOM would once again be crime free!

Unless it becomes sustained I don't think it's an increase in crime. If you wait ages for a bus and then two come along, there hasn't been an increase in the number of buses, just they're grouped up!