Automatic plate recognition to catch out car tax evaders

as I posted earlier, I would want my insurance to be accessable to avoid being stopped by all and sundry plods anywhere you drive in UK, at least nowadays they seem to recognise IoM numbers and not bother you, not like years ago when people would get pulled over for having a 1963 number on a 1980's manufactured car etc. :-o

If I remember correctly, you could have a plate showing the car being older than it was, but not newer
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing that can be guaranteed - ANPR will cost more to install and maintain than it generates in recovering tax from unlicensed vehicles. And it will have to be scrapped and a new system installed

This is a horrible step in the wrong direction. Privacy concerns must outweigh the convenient time savings for the police. It is simply utterly unacceptable for the police to outright suspect everyone

Agreed. It's not just the capital cost of buying stuff like this - there's always maintenance costs,license costs,software upgrades blah blah blah - then of course in five years (or four ., or three

Also, I think IoM insurance details are stored somewhere central which allows you to tax the car online. If you go and do it at the post office you have to show the insurance documents.

Also, I think IoM insurance details are stored somewhere central which allows you to tax the car online. If you go and do it at the post office you have to show the insurance documents.

They don't. You have to scan your cover note.

They don't. You have to scan your cover note.

Don't remember having to do that last time

• Like 1

Yes hboy you are wrong. If you have a renewal code they know you are insured. It takes under 2 minutes online..did mine and hers indoors in the commercial break of Broadchurch the other night...easy. Why you'd want to waste time in the post office god knows!

You used to be able to pay for 6 months tax. I don't see why you shouldn't PAYG on installments. You can't just expect people to be forced to sell their cars just because IOMG is getting greedy on road tax and are trying to tax people off the road. 

• Like 1

I down sized my vehicle a couple of years ago, certainly partly on the grounds of the cost of its tax then, and the new vehicle was noticeably cheaper to tax.

The cost of the road tax on the replacement vehicle is now approaching what the cost was for the original vehicle. In less than 3 years.

Unfortunately I, along with others no doubt, do not possess the immediate wherewithall to change vehicles ad lib to simply keep abreast of Greed Central's Road Tax increases.

Plenty of buses though. Fortunately.

31 minutes ago, hboy said:

You used to be able to pay for 6 months tax. I don't see why you shouldn't PAYG on installments. You can't just expect people to be forced to sell their cars just because IOMG is getting greedy on road tax and are trying to tax people off the road. 

Plenty of motorbikes and motorhomes whose owners would love to be able to tax them for the summer only.

But that's not expensive enough for these greedy bastards.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Plenty of buses though. Fortunately.

Plenty of empty buses !! (and horsetrams and MER trains)

You're right though most people aren't like Notty driving their Rolls Royce around throwing burning £20 notes out of the window as the peasants look on. It's expensive to have to subsist in the IOM. Six months tax was always a way of managing a budget, installments even more so. Most insurance companies allow you to pay car insurance by installments so why not road tax? As you say the costs have been ramped up hugely in the last few years and even more fuel efficient cars are going up the bandings. A lot of motorbike and classic car owners only used to tax for 6 months over the summer and park them up afterwards. Greed killed that though. 

A much better way would be a % fuel surcharge instead of road tax. If you're using fuel you're paying it. If you're not then your not.

Edited by hboy
4 minutes ago, hboy said:

Plenty of empty buses !! (and horsetrams and MER trains)

You're right though most people aren't like Notty driving their Rolls Royce around throwing burning £20 notes out of the window as the peasants look on. It's expensive to have to subsist in the IOM. Six months tax was always a way of managing a budget, installments even more so. Most insurance companies allow you to pay insurance by installments so why not road tax? As you say the costs have been ramped up hugely in the last few years and even more fuel efficient cars are going up the bandings. A lot of motorbike and classic car owners only used to tax for 6 months over the summer and park them up afterwards. Greed killed that though. 

If my memory serves me, 6 months tax facility over here was done away with some years ago. There were arguments against because IIRC it was still available in the UK at the time and some users, as quoted in the thread such as motorcycles and motorhomes, seasonal use vehicles, availed themselves of the facility.

However the prevailing argument behind the change was that IoM tax was much cheaper than in UK at the time, we were in the times of plenty, everybody could afford the full 12 months with ease and there was an administrative/cost burden with keeping tabs on the 6 monthers.

How times have changed.

• Like 1