This obsession with Victorian Charm....

I believe it to have been the club-foot of progress in our tourism industry. The reliance on it, a false sense of security which induced a malaise in financial investment and imaginative forethought. Even in this modern age, the tax-payer invests money sustaining it, whether it loses money or not. Quaint it may well be, interesting for the (probably dwindling) holidaying-enthusiast's, but holding no great mass-appeal. Losing some of what remains is no big deal.

The station looks neat and tidy. Probably meets all the Health and Safety requirements too.

But once you rip it out it can't be replaced. Therefore something unique has been lost , and uniqueness is to be valued I feel.

Look around the Island .... do we really want it to look like everywhere else in the UK ? If we carry on at this rate then it will !

• Like 3
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you've got complaints about the station...just wait till you see the new trams.     This one's the new (MLCs only) dining tram.

Due to open March 23rd is Islands latest example of chronic incompetence and massive waste of public funds   If this were a competition then Laxey Station would not even be in the top ten of embarra

We import them, like the granite. How Longworth is still in a job I will never know, my left testicle knows more about how to run the Island's transport than him.

Posted Images

I believe it to have been the club-foot of progress in our tourism industry. The reliance on it, a false sense of security which induced a malaise in financial investment and imaginative forethought. Even in this modern age, the tax-payer invests money sustaining it, whether it loses money or not. Quaint it may well be, interesting for the (probably dwindling) holidaying-enthusiast's, but holding no great mass-appeal. Losing some of what remains is no big deal.

The station looks neat and tidy. Probably meets all the Health and Safety requirements too.

But once you rip it out it can't be replaced. Therefore something unique has been lost , and uniqueness is to be valued I feel.

Look around the Island .... do we really want it to look like everywhere else in the UK ? If we carry on at this rate then it will !

The isle of man isn't part of the UK is it?

Well I wouldn't like to fall on it.

No, it would be far better to fall in the mud that was there before eh? Jesus!

This is nothing more than an excuse for another winter works scheme. Are private contractors being used or is DOI using their own workforce?

The provenance has disappeared forever and I wouldn't mind betting that there will be a steady stream of claims for personal injury in the coming years, that will require further 'improvements' until it really will look like any other tram stop in Greater Manchester.

Loonies, the lot of them.

• Like 5

Where did the money come from to pay for this & who arranged the contracts of supply?

You're questioning the Isle of Man Government and contracts of supply?

Are you quite mad?

Tread carefully now. That's 'Eyes Only' and a dark place indeed. Be afraid, be very afraid. sweat.gif

I have it on good authority, pub, that Tynwald Hill is getting refurbished next they are getting rid of all the sods on the hill and replacing them with granite steps. Unfortunately, the sods that need removing will still be there for a while longer.crying.gifcrying.gifcrying.gif

• Like 4

It what happens when you import people who have little idea about the Manx History or tradition.

Whatever happened to that "Look forward to going back " IOM tourism initiative BTW,where are we going back to, Shanghai?

• Like 2

It what happens when you import people who have little idea about the Manx History or tradition.

Whatever happened to that "Look forward to going back " IOM tourism initiative BTW,where are we going back to, Shanghai?

Phew.... misread that at first - I thought it said important people.

In their own minds they are.

Longworth for one is a clown,he's already proved he's a clown on several occasions ,why is he still in a job?

• Like 7