Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Steam Racket again!

I know, Steam Racket rip off subjects are as perennial as the daffodils that are appearing at the moment, but bear with me because this is a corker!

They are currently advertising a National Ferry Fortnight deal, car +2 can add up to three additional passengers 'for free'.

post-10146-0-58078900-1426181877_thumb.png

Went to book a car & three passengers, entered the deal code and got a price of £230.

post-10146-0-60060100-1426182231_thumb.png

Being a curious chap, before booking, I thought to myself "I wonder how much the deal saves?"

Went to book a car & three passengers without entering the deal code and got a price of...

post-10146-0-02071300-1426182274_thumb.png

£181!!!

So £49 cheaper if you don't book the special deal that they are advertising? Surely they should still show the cheaper deals rather than remove them? Or better still, actually be cheaper?

Be aware that the Isle of Man Steam Packet's 'special deal' is not that special.

• Like 6

I may be missing something but you aren't comparing like with like.

The deal is £230 for car plus 5 people. You've priced a car plus 3 at £181. What would a car plus 5 have been for the same sailing?

If you're going to complain about the steam packet at least do it accurately and without trying to mislead?

• Like 1

What he is saying is - If you only had 3 passengers (1 over the car + 2 std) it was 181 v 230.

A more accurate booking would be to do a car +2 booking without the code (probably 140ish) then +3+4+5, at +5 the 'deal' probably works out 38pence cheaper knowing the Racket; anything less than 5 you will be onto a loser.

OP is right - The price MUST be capped at the STANDARD fare for Car + 2 for whatever sailings selection.......which it is obviously not.

(Note - this all assumes the OP did an exact like for like sailings selection).

Never even consider Steam Racket now. Always fly and hire car or train for self and or with wife. Invariably works out cheaper if booked in advance, especially if using Easy Jet routes - doing the new Bristol one in April. Also fed up with prices for the direct flight holidays so we have booked a Madeira trip in September which includes a night stop at Gatwick, b&b at 5 * hotel which comes out considerably cheaper.

• Like 1

This kind of thing isn't by any means confined to the Packet. All kinds of hidden deals and charges by air, by rail and even in the supermarket or at the bank. Very often cheaper to buy a rail journey in several sections than the full trip in one fare or two small jars of coffee weighing more but costing less than one large jar. You have to have your wits about you like the OP.

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx

The world is full of devious marketing. 21st Century, powered by sharp practice!

• Like 1

The deal is £230 for car plus 5 people. You've priced a car plus 3 at £181. What would a car plus 5 have been for the same sailing?

If you're going to complain about the steam packet at least do it accurately and without trying to mislead?

Why? The original offer is misleading.

The deal is car+2 (and up to three extra people for free)

But, car+3 is cheaper under a 'normal' booking.

So car+2 on the deal is almost £50 more expensive than car+3 not on the deal.

The deal is not "up to 3" its car plus 2 plus 3

I accept that you may want to travel with 2, or 3 or 4 or 5, and you have to check.

I wouldn't expect the deal to be cheaper for 2 or 3 people, or may be even 4. Its very specific.

I see where OP is coming from, he apparently thought, wrongly in my view, that the deal price would be the same as for car plus 2.

John: The OP was reasonable in drawing the inference he did from the offer. Your assessment seems illogical to me.

• Like 1

OP didn't read offer correctly. That's all. If they're worried about cost, get a hire car - it's amazingly affordable!

whine whine whine, navel gaze, complain about own stupidity, moan, remember world owes me a living, grumble, grumble, nit-pick, never see the good anything

This forum is fucking pathetic and I'm glad I've stopped reading and posting as regularly as I used to

The OP misread the offer (which is very clearly a car plus 5 passengers) and has blamed the Steam Packet for their own failing.

The advert clearly shows a picture of a car + 2 people and an additional 3 people who go free during the period of the offer. It says nothing about a car + 3 passengers or a car + 4 passengers being included in the offer.

I think the OP and I must be missing something here since we seem to be in a very small minority.

If the SP advertises that 3 are going free if you book a car + 2 at the advertised price of £230, it is patently ridiculous that the price of car + 3 is £181, and 3 are clearly (to me at least) not going free. In effect they are inflating the car + 2 deal price to make the deal for 5 look better than it really is and this is throwing up the anomaly of car + 3 being cheaper than car + 2.

• Like 1

Despite what was said in the OP the offer is not "up to three travel free". It is a car +2 and three travel free (totalling 5 people and a car.)

I think that may be part of the confusion,