Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Keith

Steam Racket again!

Despite what was said in the OP the offer is not "up to three travel free". It is a car +2 and three travel free (totalling 5 people and a car.)

I think that may be part of the confusion,

I was obviously confused by the bit on the web site that says:

"To celebrate National Ferry Fortnight we have this limited offer which must be booked between 2nd – 15th March 2015.

CAR + 2 PEOPLE FOR £115/€148 EACH WAY AND UP TO 3 ADDITIONAL PEOPLE TRAVEL FOR FREE MIDWEEK

When you make a booking during National Ferry Fortnight with the Fare Code DNFF for a car and two people on a midweek sailing, up to three people will be able to travel free. That’s a car plus five people!!!"

I've underlined the bit that I failed to understand! As Woolley said, a car+2 on a normal deal is cheaper than a car+2 on the special offer.

Ofc, it is all a saving if you take it against their 'Standard Fare' of 300 fecking quid for a car + 2 in winter?????

• Like 1

The racket are on the make and they don't give a fuck whether or not their offers are cheaper. If you want to get off the island with a car however many of you there are they know they've got you by the balls so they rape you for every penny you're worth.

• Like 1

I think most ferry companies seem to be quite high when it comes to pricing, Holyhead to Dublin is a similar distance and price.

Your talking an average of £270 for a car plus 2 return.

do that a couple of times a year and it soon mounts up crying.gif

It's like anything, shop around on dates, times and offers.

The steam packet is cheaper in real terms now than in 1979, both special fares and full fares, and ManxLine.

Only thing I miss is a season pass, pay for all your passenger trips a month, 3 months or annually. That broke even at 12 returns at full price.

Ive already done two trips for 169 return, car plus 2, this year and another next weekend.

Apart from short channel, to France and CalMac where fares are subsidised by the taxpayer by 70%, all ferry travel is expensive, and per mile or per hour the Steam Packet are actually good value. Try Brittany Ferries for eye watering fares

• Like 1

The steam packet is cheaper in real terms now than in 1979, both special fares and full fares, and ManxLine.

Can you back that up?

He's a lawyer Albert, he'll make it fit

He's a lawyer Albert, he'll make it fit

Bit like a good accountant who when asked what 2 and 2 make responds with "what would you like it to make" ?biggrin.png

• Like 1

Can you back that up?

i read sometime ago fuel,food and clothing is as well (times article about Hilda)

The cheapest fare car plus 2 in 1979 was a cheap weekend return on ManxLine. £32 in winter 79/80. Then apply RPI increases. I've posted the math before. It works out at 170.

The standard return air fare on BMA to Heathrow was 98. My sister worked there and I got family discount before she married. I paid £10. The £98 is equivalent to £540 now. Last Gatwick trip I did was 65 ( but no bags and BMA did include hold bags ). I've booked 6 trips via Stansted at £50 each return for family between April and September.

It's like anything, shop around on dates, times and offers.

Only thing I miss is a season pass, pay for all your passenger trips a month, 3 months or annually. That broke even at 12 returns at full price.

Ive already done two trips for 169 return, car plus 2, this year and another next weekend.

Apart from short channel, to France and CalMac where fares are subsidised by the taxpayer by 70%, all ferry travel is expensive, and per mile or per hour the Steam Packet are actually good value. Try Brittany Ferries for eye watering fares

All this really means is that they've been ripping us off for longer than we remembered. As for your comment about subsidisation, I say bring on full nationalisation! Our lifeline shouldn't be in the hands of a private company, especially one owned by a bank in Portugal FFS.

The "deal" is dishonest and misleading. The lawyer seems to think its fine though. Go figure!

It's like saying "slice of cake £5 and get 2 extra slices absolutely FREE!"

"So how much is a slice of cake if I don't want any FREE slices?"

"£2"

I tested the code out and it seemed to make no difference to price whether car + 2 or car + 5 was being booked. Unless you are supposed to add the 3 additional people later?

• Like 2