Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

Undemocratic Farce !

I would suspect that not many at the top aren't in some group or another

Why not ? Yet another Ex Gov't employee who is already in receipt of a massive pension looking to get yet another slice of the public coffers before the money runs out.

"The Isle Of Man" where you can, mainly because public apathy allows them too.

What a shambles !!

• Like 1

I would suspect that not many at the top aren't in some group or another

To a certain extent, politicians need to be "joiners". You don't achieve anything by shouting on your own, but you can if build alliances, and consensus you might.

What's with all this credit to him for declaring at the earliest? Big deal. As soon as you declare you are standing for election asking people for their votes you are in public life.

Why don't 'they' put it in their manifestos. All the other clubs seem to go in.

• Like 1

That would be unconstitutional, but certainly an indication that a person is a freemason would be appropriate.

Why the secrecy though? **

** rhetorical question only.

Edited by Wann

I shagged one goat............

Did you get the horn...?

That would be unconstitutional, but certainly an indication that a person is a freemason would be appropriate.

** rhetorical question only.

Most of them , depending on the level of degree, use secret personal signs and symbols which reveal themselves. I don't see why it's relevant before someone is elected. Afterwards I think legally they are required to disclose on the register (?)

Edited by oldmanxfella

Undemocratic Farce! I'll say.

Now Robertshaw wants an amendment to the current proceedings that no consideration be given to abolishing Legislative Council.

3fm News MHK wants LegCo safeguarded

You really could not make this stuff up? Animal Farm.

• Like 2

The more this is dragged out the worse it gets. if CR's motion gets adopted it will further denigrate any moves to reform or alter any possible political change.

The third world has more democracy than this Island and there is obviously no intention to improve it anytime soon.

Reform is needed not just for the sake of democracy but more urgently on a monetary basis, we can no longer justify nor indeed sustain the numbers of politicians at all levels of governance. and that includes local authority's.

The sheer numbers of MHK's MLC'S and councillors for an Island of 80,000 population is quite frankly ludicrous.

Edited by mannin1
  • Like 8

The people want:

1) Democratically elected LegCo, where members are paid for attendance rather than a massive salary

2) Some input & choice of next CoMin administration

3) No MLCs in government posts

Provided these are delivered I don't think Mr Robertshaw's intervention will be too detrimental

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 2

the masonicly influenced Ralph Peake will make some difference.

Not just influenced - he has disclosed that he's a member http://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/interest/Documents/PeakeGR.pdf

Good on him for honestly disclosing.

Are you implying that there are elected representatives who are Masons but haven't honestly disclosed??

Not specifically. I was just saying that it's good and encouraging that he has almost immediately disclosed that.

Notice the Spectrum Apartment?

Yes, I think candidates should have to declare such things before an election, not just after they are elected.

That was put forward for inclusion in the recent changes to the Representation of the People Act, together with disclosure of property owned, the latter would allow a person to look up at the Rolls Office when and from who it was bought from, but these two provisions never made it into the Act, I wonder why?

• Like 1

Chris Thomas is calling for a referendum on the issue of our Legislature I understand

The only way the issue of Legco to be sorted once and for all is a Referendum, as the elected members are totally conflicted. It is for the people to decide on what would be a major constitutional change, Alan Bell should looking at the bigger picture, instead of blaming members of the House of Keys as to how they exercise their voting, as it is a private vote how does he know some members are not voting.

• Like 3