Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

Undemocratic Farce !

So who fills the ministerial gap...

Exclude - the four newbies, speaker, and the recently quit Robertshaw.

The Lib Van two and Zac Hall are very unlikely. And Brenda seems to be winding down.

That leaves -

Thomas

Cannon

Singer

Cregeen

Quirkio

Houghton

Thomas is obviously the best man for the job but will he be welcomed into the Rainbow Coalition. That leaves Cannon as the last scrappings from the bottom of the barrel and after that it's into the subsoil and on down. You have to move dinosaur fossils to get to Houghton.

The Lib Van two and Zac Hall are very unlikely. And Brenda seems to be winding down.

That leaves -

Thomas

Cannon

Singer

Cregeen

Quirkio

Houghton

Thomas is obviously the best man for the job but will he be welcomed into the Rainbow Coalition. That leaves Cannon as the last scrappings from the bottom of the barrel and after that it's into the subsoil and on down. You have to move dinosaur fossils to get to Houghton.

Bell might decide to flout convention and say "As there's only a year to go until musical chairs begins again, I'm hanging on to Crookall as Education Minister".

Actually - he probably won't do that, which is fine as it would be helpful to have a Minister in that Department who showed some evidence of being educated.

• Like 1

Thomas was reluctant to even take a departmental position.

Cannon could do it but is not Bell's favourite by a long shot, still blames his dad for getting him into trouble.

Singer, no.

Cregeen, god no.

Quirkio, hell no.

Houghton, fuck no.

• Like 1

What a terrible indictment of our politicians. Abysmal.

• Like 2

The MLC package costs "over a full term" over a million quid a member for 32 hours work last year,

To be fair, they do more work than have a bit of a doze at the weekly Legislative Council meetings. Such as being members of Departments and deputising for Ministers as required. Which goes to show that the LegCo members are hardly in a position to Advise, Revise and Scrutinise. Not when they are part of the boys club.

Today also underlined the fact that a hopeful LegCo candidate has to do some serous leg humping to get the boys to vote him in.

Advise, Revise, Scrutinise, my arse.

Time to dump it.

• Like 1

What a terrible indictment of our politicians. Abysmal.

An even worse indictment of the electorate, let's not forget it was political apathy and disinterest which put them there in the first place.

There's not a chance in hell that the situation of poor political judgment will EVER change on this Island. It is this predictability that guarantees the longevity of the Robber Barons. Something they can rely on is the acquiescence of the Serfs....

• Like 1

I suppose that, looking for the positives, it gives the electorate a chance to improve the quality of the House of Keys. The can't be any more Malarkeys and Burns' about............can there?

They have certainly excelled themselves with their selection for the four posts this time around.

I actually have more admiration for Gawne, Cregeen and Quirk,their position at the next election looks equally shaky to me but at least they have not cut and run to Legco.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 2

Whilst still maintaining my general view that Legco should not exist unless democratically elected I do wonder why the terms of office and election cycles aren't matched to those for Keys. The cost and futility of holding by elections so close to a general election adds to the farce. Aside for that, I can't help think about longtails and ships.

• Like 1

Can't see the voters of Glenfaba and Peel voting in Bell friendly candidates. The voters have nothing to lose, especially as the general election is next year. They may as well vote Monster Raving Looney Party!

• Like 1

Got to admit it though Tim was not as stupid as some would assume, he knew that his chance of getting re-elected were slim so jumped on the old legco liferaft, absolutely spineless but thats politics.

So let me get this right ....... for those in favour we need a revising chamber to pore over legislation and decide it is fit for purpose ...

Three qualified lawyers put themselves forward and not one gets elected, instead we elect three also rans, who the electorate wouldn't choose to elect again because of their lack of well anything !!!

Unbelievable !!!!

• Like 10

Next move?

Clare Christian born September 1945 retires in 2016 after doing 5 years as President of Tynwald?

All change again?

Edited by Moghrey Mie

That leaves -

Thomas

Cannon

Singer

Cregeen

Quirkio

Houghton

Yes I fully agree, COMIN wont let Chris Thomas in through the Door, but John Houghton would be sound but again COMIN wont let him in the Door, but I will bet that Shhimmin will be elevated, with Chris Thomas to replace Shimmin, then the Cabinet Office can be used to put out the increasing level of Austerity that is coming our way, just a question of when and what.