Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

Undemocratic Farce !

Does anyone out there know if the newly elevated MLC's retain their MHK pension and continue to have the taxpayer contribute to it (during their tenure as a MLC) as if nothing has changed?

New members of either house must pay contributions. Once elected to MLC they cease to be MHKs and the MLC position is a new job.

Existing members don't have to contribute. They will after the next election if they are re-elected.

Existing members who publicly state that they authorised contributions but then stated that he hadn't checked, and then further stated that he would pay up and subsequently didn't are in plain language, liars and not fit to hold public office.

But again will people remember come 2016 ?

• Like 2

New members of either house must pay contributions. Once elected to MLC they cease to be MHKs and the MLC position is a new job.

Yes, I understand that.

What I am alluding to is: is the MHK pension transferable to the new MLC position on the same terms? In other words does the fund go with the MLC and is it considered by the pension fund to be continuous employment? I would rather hope it isn't.

My view is that if a MHK is 'elected' to LEGCO then he/she should start a new pension scheme. Anyone other than an ex-MHK who is 'elected' to LEGCO would have to start from scratch, so why shouldn't an ex-MHK?

In simple terms, no pension without representation.

That's a good point but would it make a financial difference when all is added up?

PS. Do they have a rule to address this situation? Is it considered to be continual employment or a new entrant?

Edited by Kopek

Yes, I understand that.

What I am alluding to is: is the MHK pension transferable to the new MLC position on the same terms? In other words does the fund go with the MLC and is it considered by the pension fund to be continuous employment? I would rather hope it isn't.

My view is that if a MHK is 'elected' to LEGCO then he/she should start a new pension scheme. Anyone other than an ex-MHK who is 'elected' to LEGCO would have to start from scratch, so why shouldn't an ex-MHK?

I don't understand what you're getting at.

Anyone elected would have a pension from previous employment. If you move jobs in a company you continue your pension but if you switch employers you switch terms (but I think can transfer your pension fund on).

Why's this any different?

Yes, I understand that.

Anyone elected would have a pension from previous employment. If you move jobs in a company you continue your pension but if you switch employers you switch terms (but I think can transfer your pension fund on).

An MHK becoming an MLC is still employed by Tynwald so continues that employment.

Yes, I understand that.

The difference is that neither you or I put any of the ex-MHKs into LEGCO.

None of the MLCs represent you or me directly. So why should part my taxes continue to enhance their already heavily subsidised MHK pensions?

As I say, no pension without representation.

• Like 2

I thought the opening paragraph of a column in the current issue of Private Eye was interesting in a parallel parliament sort of way:

post-35260-0-70027600-1435145147_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, I understand that.

The difference is that neither you or I put any of the ex-MHKs into LEGCO.

None of the MLCs represent you or me directly. So why should part my taxes continue to enhance their already heavily subsidised MHK pensions?

As I say, no pension without representation.

Ok I think you're confusing two or three issues.

1. Should mlcs be elected?

2. Should Tynwald pensions be contributory, and of a level comparable to the private sector?

3. Should moving between keys and Legco affect their pensions?

So point one & two I'd say yes absolutely. Point three, I'd say no. I'm not even sure what you a proposing they've "worked" x years in the Keys, I don't see how moving role affects that?

An ordinary member of public sitting on Treasury Board. Are we happy with that. I know I'm not?