Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

Undemocratic Farce !

No, I'm not happy, either. Regardless of how good Mr Braidwood is at his job, he is no longer an elected representative. I would question the legality of his position. Has the AG expressed an opinion?

Nor is Clare Christian an elected politician, of course.

One wonders if it's getting to the stage on this hallowed Isle of ours that the Establishment are dispensing with the democracy thing altogether and are just going to rule under Divine Right......

His garden must be looking fecking good by now, 2 years and £150k a year thrown at it.....

The fact is. What experience does anyone need to sit on Legco? Any old fuckwitt could do it. They are hardly going to be going head to head with the Chaiman of ICI, or Alan Sugar types. We've sort of created a criteria that does not exist - most of them are failed politicians forced into it as self preservation. What would be so wrong with a failed member of the public getting in instead of drawing a dole cheque?

• Like 1

To scrutinise and amend legislation, legal training and qualification should be a basic, bare minimum requirement. Simple as that. Anyone required for a layperson's view should also be democratically elected.

It should not be a bolt hole for those whose electorate are about to lose patience with them. Or some sort of reward for jolly hockeysticks long service.

• Like 1

So an MHK goes job hunting with the full knowledge of his paymasters(us) and then, if lucky enough to be undemocratically anointed into LegCo, he leaves the job we gave him without notice or an apology?

Or someone fails to get undemocratically anointed into LegCo but keeps his job anyway on who's authority?

What sort of sly, covert, shoddy, back-slapping, jobs for the boys, boys' club banana republic have we got here?

If this fiasco doesn't scream that it's time to abolish LegCo and all democratically unelected and expensive parasites, then my hope for a future for this island of mine is in shreds.

It's heartbreaking to be honest and I'm as angry as hell.

• Like 8

If the locals could drag themselves out of Stuporsville, a bit of direct action wouldn't go amiss. I'm not condoning violent rabble-rousing (although the way things're going it wouldn't surprise me, take the alleged threat to Teare as an example), I mean more visible protestations against a government which increasingly is distrusted and so obviously holds the people in such arrogant disregard. They've been shafting us for years, with impunity and without opposition. It's one thing taking to social media or writing to the local rag as a way of venting ones spleen about the way things are but quite another to demonstrate openly, en masse, placarding the grievances.

Something has to change but there's difficulty in rousing the Serfs because inertia and apathy seems to be in the Manx DNA; there's far too much, 'Traa dy liaoor' getting in the way, it's the club foot of change.

The protest in the Commons by the disabled, yesterday, is just the sort of thing that's needed here, a volumised physical presence that may make more people sit up and take notice. Done properly it could have the desired effect of raising awareness amongst a far-too-acquiescent population and help make our thoroughly-disconnected rulers take stock of their follies.

• Like 6

Having former ministers and department members stay on in the interim is not wrong. You need someone in place during elections, whilst a new CM is elected and chooses his team. It ensures continuity and a smooth handover.

But, Braidwood's term ended in February. Admittedly it was only confirmed this week. I can see it might have been appropriate to let him in place until his exit was final. Being a member of Treasury gets paid more than other departments because of the complexity. So the replacement is unlikely to be the incoming MHK in Glen Fabar or Peel so Braidwood's replacement is likely to be in the house now.

I'm less bothered by Crookall staying on in ministerial role he has a mandate of sorts from Peel until the next election, even if he's turned his back on it. After all Gelling was CM in similar circumstances following the Neds saga.

I still don't like having a minister in post who won't have his record tested at the next election. In fact that Crookall, Anderson and Cretney have all been ministers this term and gone upstairs. That seems a bad thing for accountability to the electorate.

• Like 2

If the locals could drag themselves out of Stuporsville, a bit of direct action wouldn't go amiss. I'm not condoning violent rabble-rousing (although the way things're going it wouldn't surprise me, take the alleged threat to Teare as an example), I mean more visible protestations against a government which increasingly is distrusted and so obviously holds the people in such arrogant disregard. They've been shafting us for years, with impunity and without opposition. It's one thing taking to social media or writing to the local rag as a way of venting ones spleen about the way things are but quite another to demonstrate openly, en masse, placarding the grievances.

Something has to change but there's difficulty in rousing the Serfs because inertia and apathy seems to be in the Manx DNA; there's far too much, 'Traa dy liaoor' getting in the way, it's the club foot of change.

The protest in the Commons by the disabled, yesterday, is just the sort of thing that's needed here, a volumised physical presence that may make more people sit up and take notice. Done properly it could have the desired effect of raising awareness amongst a far-too-acquiescent population and help make our thoroughly-disconnected rulers take stock of their follies.

Maybe something based round Peter Tatchell's visit at the beginning of July? Certainly the disabled people of the island and others affected should be out demanding that the Equality Bill is brought forward during this administration.

So an MHK goes job hunting with the full knowledge of his paymasters(us) and then, if lucky enough to be undemocratically anointed into LegCo, he leaves the job we gave him without notice or an apology?

Or someone fails to get undemocratically anointed into LegCo but keeps his job anyway on who's authority?

What sort of sly, covert, shoddy, back-slapping, jobs for the boys, boys' club banana republic have we got here?

If this fiasco doesn't scream that it's time to abolish LegCo and all democratically unelected and expensive parasites, then my hope for a future for this island of mine is in shreds.

It's heartbreaking to be honest and I'm as angry as hell.

Even taking our own special brand of democracy into account, it is not your Island anymore. It is Alan Bell's.

• Like 1