Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

Undemocratic Farce !

What we need is some way of corralling all the parasites into a public space outdoors like a small hill or something and then have a public display of contempt.

• Like 4

"But, Braidwood's term ended in February."

You could also argue that Allan Bell has known since February that there was a strong possibility that Tim Crookall was going to become an MLC, so he should have had a replacement Minister of Education lined up.

• Like 1

Which goes to show how cocked eyed the system is.

If Phil Braidwood is so precious and indispensable then why was he voted onto the Legislative Council?

It is not the role of the Legislative Council to be members of Departments. Bell and his Government are an embarrassment.

• Like 1

....... Crookall, Anderson and Cretney have all been ministers this term and gone upstairs. That seems a bad thing for accountability to the electorate.

If they desert their post during their elected term of office (especially as a minister) then there has to be a price to pay.

As I said, no pension without representation. The taxpayer should not be asked to continue to pay towards a pension fund when they haven't done their duty to those who put them in the Keys in the first place.

Crookall will be all but 60 after his 5 years as an MLC and will get the full pension if he doesn't continue to stand as will Cretney. Anderson will be over 65 at the expiration of his term and will also be in receipt of a state pension if he decides to throw in the towel at the next LEGCO election.

If any MHK is looking to get elevated to the poop deck during their Keys tenure then there has to be a trade off. There has to be a forfeiture of sorts. It will make them think twice before putting their name forward.

• Like 1

This thing with Mr Braidwood, and him being kept in a job despite not being re-elected.

Perhaps they were short of someone to lick stamps for all those treasury letters that go out?

People in this pension scheme only receive it once they reach pensionable age, whatever that may be at the time. So Crookall won't get it when he leaves in 5 years as you presume.

He'll be 60 in 2020, when his term expires.

I think Andy is making the point that he should be stripped of his accumalated entitlement because he went from MHK to MLC. (Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth Andy - but you are not being very clear). That would be a step too far - was MHK for those years and the pension was accrued.

I think Andy is making the point that he should be stripped of his accumalated entitlement because he went from MHK to MLC. (Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth Andy - but you are not being very clear). That would be a step too far - was MHK for those years and the pension was accrued.

I'm not suggesting he should be stripped of his MHK entitlement at all. I am saying that the taxpayer should not contribute to the subsequent MLC pension if they have given up their MHK position mid-term.

Sorry if that's still not clear.

People in this pension scheme only receive it once they reach pensionable age, whatever that may be at the time. So Crookall won't get it when he leaves in 5 years as you presume.

The fund allows them to take early retirement.

Edited by Andy Onchan

Existing members who publicly state that they authorised contributions but then stated that he hadn't checked, and then further stated that he would pay up and subsequently didn't are in plain language, liars and not fit to hold public office.

But again will people remember come 2016 ?

Or will the electors of Douglas North even care? Don't tell me they haven't already worked out that their representative is a 100% gold-plated bag of shite.

I'm not suggesting he should be stripped of his MHK entitlement at all. I am saying that the taxpayer should not contribute to the subsequent MLC pension if they have given up their MHK position mid-term.

Sorry if that's still not clear.

OK, that would be fairer, provided they knew before standing that was the consequence.

I bought the Manx Independent today and thoroughly enjoyed reading Bernie Moffat's take on all this.

Link to iomtoday

post-35260-0-48524900-1435255003_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wann
  • Like 1

Not normally a fan of BM's rants on nationalism I am of the opinion he is bang on the mark with this well penned piece.

• Like 1

We need our own, sort of Manx Oliver Cromwell, you know, dissolve Parliament and have a few executed sort of thing.....

Albert T.....?!

Wonder if it's executions the newly elected 'reforming' MLCs have in mind - they've something up their sleeves