Consultation on welfare reform

manxy

Also to go along with the Pension reform, the DHSS are sending out questionnaires to people on Disability again. Whilst i agree that there are people who are on the Sick who are quite able to work, there are many who can't. Atos was deemed to be unfair to it's approuch because it sent out Tick Box questionaires which didn't really reflect on what was the persons problem and was judged by a Health Worker with no knowledge of the persons heath problem history. Atos has now been replaced with a Company who have sent out Tick Box questionarres which don't really reflect on what is the persons problem and will be judged by a Health Worker with no knowledge of the persons heath problem history. Add to this the Company stating it is Target orientated can only mean that genuine people are getting dragged through the Mill at the same time as the duffers as they will have to save the DHSS their £750.000 Fee per year before the DHSS start to save money. I'd be interested to know who would be held accountable if someone gets injured or worse due to being sent back to work when they shouldn't have. I also believe that people with drink or drug problems won't be ask to fill in a questionaire so there's not much encouragement to get clean there then.

Also to go along with the Pension reform, the DHSS are sending out questionnaires to people on Disability again. Whilst i agree that there are people who are on the Sick who are quite able to work, there are many who can't. Atos was deemed to be unfair to it's approuch because it sent out Tick Box questionaires which didn't really reflect on what was the persons problem and was judged by a Health Worker with no knowledge of the persons heath problem history. Atos has now been replaced with a Company who have sent out Tick Box questionarres which don't really reflect on what is the persons problem and will be judged by a Health Worker with no knowledge of the persons heath problem history. Add to this the Company stating it is Target orientated can only mean that genuine people are getting dragged through the Mill at the same time as the duffers as they will have to save the DHSS their £750.000 Fee per year before the DHSS start to save money. I'd be interested to know who would be held accountable if someone gets injured or worse due to being sent back to work when they shouldn't have. I also believe that people with drink or drug problems won't be ask to fill in a questionaire so there's not much encouragement to get clean there then.

I think the £750k is a one off charge not an annual one.

I think the £750k is a one off charge not an annual one.

Wolley, the questionaires are going to be sent out annually so i would imagine that the Fee would be annually as well. I've not been told any different.

£750,000 is for a three year contract, so £250,000 per annum is how I understood it.

I'd rather an investment in the Disability Employment Service. Employ an Occupational Therapist to carry out assessments on people & places of employment, giving advice on how to make the work place more accessible. Have some additional grants to pay for additional equipment, such as ergonomic chairs for specific employees or large touch screen monitors for people who have sight impairment etc.

I'd rather government pass/implement some legislation to make it illegal for employers to discriminate against people who have a disability in the first place.

I'd rather government spent some money explaining to employers that there are benefits that far outweigh the cost of employing a person with a disability. For example, studies have demonstrated that people with disabilities who are employed by a 'positive' employer, have less time off sick and are more loyal than non-disabled employees. The later comment is actually pretty obvious if you think about it, if you have a disability and find an employer who supports you, you'd be a lot less likely to risk moving to a place where they may not be supportive.

Positive steps to support people in to employment will be much more cost effective in the long term, but would require some imagination and legislation.

Instead, this 'son of ATOS' will need to save £250k+ to make it worthwhile. Mr Robertshaw basically said he was going after disabled people's benefits about three years ago. I pointed out that the time to get people with a disability in to employment was during the boom times, not the slow down. People are now going to be assessed as 'fit for something' but there won't be a job for them, and no legal back-up to help get one. But they'll have benefits taken away too.

Then of course, their 'long term' Job Seekers will be cut by Mr Henderson and 'protect the vulnerable rich'.

ATOS has been blamed for disabled people committing suicide in the UK. One way of reducing the benefit bill is to get people to remove themselves from it entirely.

• Like 1

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/over-half-of-incapacity-claimants-found-capable-of-working/

50% of assessments say people with a disability are fit for work. Mr Teare thinks that is a good thing. But he doesn't support legislation that will make it easier for people with a disability to get a job. The contractors are on target, that's what matters.

I would like to know what the process is for appeal? I've got it at the back of my mind (but I may be wrong) that when Dependability were appointed to carry out assessments, it was decided that there would be no process for appealing their decision. In the UK, something like 70% of people who appealed ATOS decisions won the appeal. A good way to stop that happening here would be to remove the right to appeal in the first place. As I say, I'm not sure about that and don't have time to find out at the moment. Perhaps someone else recalls or can dig?