Pensioners face higher travel costs

Also on MR just now somebody queried bus drivers families getting free travel. I've heard this before. Is it true or is it urban myth? Anyone know?

It is 100% true that Bus Vannin staff and partners have free travel.

So if the Director of Transport decides to pop out with his partner for a pint his partner has free travel, yet if a student volunteer chooses to visit an elderly person who hasn't had any visitors for a few days the student now has to pay for the bus.

I had this very conversation about free staff travel with Minister Gawne on Facebook and he said that this is part of the employees conditions that are very difficult to remove.

For goodness sake. This isn't British Airways. How can this be justified?

So if I work at the MEA, my family can get free electricity?

This is simply ridiculous.

Does anyone know where to see a full list of all perks assigned to themselves and family members via someone working at the taxpayer's expense? Starting with politicians and civil servants?

• Like 7
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is that we know we need cuts but we aren't getting enough of them. We are getting a plethora of increased charges seemingly without a care about how people should find the money to pay for

Cuts? What cuts? I expect better of Kate. She is just parroting the same crap as the rest of them here.   Like so many other measures, this isn't a cut. It is a charge increase. All that will happen

They all know what needs to be done but are to full of self preservation and inflated ego's to tackle it in any way whatsoever. Cut the numbers of politicians would make a great start, but I can not

Posted Images

Let's keep it real.

To expect a bus driver to charge his partner or their kids to ride on the bus / tram he / she was driving is expecting too much of anyone.

Maybe it could be considered a benefit in kind and taxed accordingly, but that's about all, and IMO even that's pushing it.

Let's keep it real.

To expect a bus driver to charge his partner or their kids to ride on the bus / tram he / she was driving is expecting too much of anyone.

Maybe it could be considered a benefit in kind and taxed accordingly, but that's about all, and IMO even that's pushing it.

I can see where you are coming from but if they worked on a supermarket checkout would they be expected to wave the missus through gratis with the week's shopping? It is still gaining an advantage isn't it? Who knows? Maybe they docked a couple of quid off the weekly wage in respect of the perk at some stage in history.

• Like 1

Let's keep it real.

As expressed to Minister Gawne: It sits very uneasily with me that Longworth’s partner can have free public transport, yet kids who stay behind after 6pm at school for things such as school plays, music or any other curricular activity, have to pay the standard fare. The same charge applies if they need medical or dental visits during the day. Also, the vulnerable and lonely elderly are being penalized because Longworth has stopped free travel during the school day to 6th formers who voluntarily visit them.

I believe the family member/spouse issue is contractual and due to previous agreements not easy to resolve but they are looking into it.

• Like 3

Let's keep it real.

I can see where you are coming from but if they worked on a supermarket checkout would they be expected to wave the missus through gratis with the week's shopping? It is still gaining an advantage isn't it? Who knows? Maybe they docked a couple of quid off the weekly wage in respect of the perk at some stage in history.

AFAIK Supermarket staff do get a staff discount.

Like the paid lunch breaks?

Are you saying that this was Ian Longworth's idea? I would have thought he would be close enough to it to see that it will bring in very little revenue.

Not sure what you are referring to exactly? Assuming you mean was it Longworth's idea to charge kids irrespective of whether they are doing after school activities or visiting the elderly, then yes, he will have proposed it to his CE and then the minister, he has to justify the capabilities of Ticketer.

I asked PG: If Longworth and Cregeen managed to change the terms and conditions of the Drivers hours, lunchtime benefits and wages, then surely concessionary travel for family is not that difficult to crack, or is it in their interests to keep their concessionary travel arrangements?

His reply was: The deal struck in Graham's time means that changes on family concessions would be difficult to achieve.

Let's keep it real.

AFAIK Supermarket staff do get a staff discount.

Yes, of course.

Like the paid lunch breaks?

Are you saying that this was Ian Longworth's idea? I would have thought he would be close enough to it to see that it will bring in very little revenue.

Not sure what you are referring to exactly? Assuming you mean was it Longworth's idea to charge kids irrespective of whether they are doing after school activities or visiting the elderly, then yes, he will have proposed it to his CE and then the minister, he has to justify the capabilities of Ticketer.

I asked PG: If Longworth and Cregeen managed to change the terms and conditions of the Drivers hours, lunchtime benefits and wages, then surely concessionary travel for family is not that difficult to crack, or is it in their interests to keep their concessionary travel arrangements?

His reply was: The deal struck in Graham's time means that changes on family concessions would be difficult to achieve.

I was thinking more of the withdrawal of free travel on the railways, the conception, announcement and implementation of which appears to have scaled new heights of cackhandedness.

I would imagine it was IL's idea. I can't recall exactly the figure but I think Treasury asked the DOI to make £7m of savings and to be fair (reluctantly) to Longworth, he has done his bit. The fact that he unwisely spent a small fortune prior to Treasury asking for savings and continues to spend frivolously is a separate issue.

Let's just hope that Nick doesn't change his medicine again whatever.gif

ETA: http://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/bus-and-rail/news/?altTemplate=ViewCategorisedNews&id=28881

Edited by Will Halsall
  • Like 1

Poor old pensioners....

Since when is over 60 a pensioner? They should be paying full charge.

I don't think I'll ever reach pensionable age either (a) be dead or (b) the goal posts will keep moving upwards.

And a good point from some guy (?) on the radio this morning.

He had some of the over 60's as "economically active and at the top of their earnings potential".

If you're over 60 and want to ride on the steam train, then you have to pay. Seems fair to me.

And if you use the service and don't want to pay, who do you think should?

TBT.

Free travel on the railways in not essential, there are buses which can get the over 60's to their destination.

Railway travel is an enjoyable way of spending your time and has been a benefit enjoyed by pensioners, getting them out and about. I guess the government are about to find out what the true value of being involved in heritage transport really is.

Empty trains, less money being spent in destination towns and the biggest voting group totally pissed off.

• Like 5