Pensioners face higher travel costs

I agree with introducing a child tax. Also an immigrant tax so that I migrants would be required to pay a supplement for having access to infrastructure that has been paid for by people in the past.

But I take it you think it entirely fair that the various churches both here and the rest of Britain trouser a not inconsiderable amount (£28 million, in 2009/10) for their provision of pastoral 'care' in hospitals/care homes etc etc.? It comes out of the budget for the NHS. And the Island's.

That's ok, is it...?

• Like 3
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is that we know we need cuts but we aren't getting enough of them. We are getting a plethora of increased charges seemingly without a care about how people should find the money to pay for

Cuts? What cuts? I expect better of Kate. She is just parroting the same crap as the rest of them here.   Like so many other measures, this isn't a cut. It is a charge increase. All that will happen

They all know what needs to be done but are to full of self preservation and inflated ego's to tackle it in any way whatsoever. Cut the numbers of politicians would make a great start, but I can not

Posted Images

I agree with introducing a child tax. Also an immigrant tax so that I migrants would be required to pay a supplement for having access to infrastructure that has been paid for by people in the past.

But I take it you think it entirely fair that the various churches both here and the rest of Britain trouser a not inconsiderable amount (£28 million, in 2009/10) for their provision of pastoral 'care' in hospitals/care homes etc etc.? It comes out of the budget for the NHS. And the Island's.

That's ok, is it...?

I never realised that, do we get value for money?

That's ok, is it...?

Not in my book. Not for a New York second. If anything the reverse should apply in the cases of wealthy churches and religion based institutions such as the one ruled over by the Vatican.

Having got hold of a new timetable I think the discussion about the new charges / conditions has overshadowed the essence of the new timetable.

I think they have made a huge faux pas in not having someone do a PR exercise on the radio to explain the new routes, there's buses going places you have never seen one before and people won't know about them, and how anyone will remember them is anyone's guess, but they could have at least tried to make it positive rather than keep it a big secret

I think there's something like 6 different routes call at the hospital, but don't see one at a particularly useful time for 'park&ride' so maybe they will have knocked that on the head

Having got hold of a new timetable I think the discussion about the new charges / conditions has overshadowed the essence of the new timetable.

I think they have made a huge faux pas in not having someone do a PR exercise on the radio to explain the new routes, there's buses going places you have never seen one before and people won't know about them, and how anyone will remember them is anyone's guess, but they could have at least tried to make it positive rather than keep it a big secret

I think there's something like 6 different routes call at the hospital, but don't see one at a particularly useful time for 'park&ride' so maybe they will have knocked that on the head

TF, I refer you to Page 7, post 95 where I posted the following:

Alf Lloyd is changing Bus Vannin routes:

http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=75876

Alf Lloyd did something similar in Derby http://www.route-one...rriva-Derby.pdf and after getting a slapped arse by the Senior Traffic Commissioner he is employed by......................yep, IL!

This individual would not be employed if I had been on the interviewing panel; he was a director of (Arriva Derby) and was castigated managerially with his colleagues by the Traffic Commissioner immediately before being offered a post by IL to replace Michael Cartwright, who previously had been removed by IL on very dubious grounds.

When the Traffic Commissioner makes statements such as: "failure to ensure the full facts before it sends a letter to my office again well illustrates its cavalier approach to correspondence to my office". Sound familiar?

And:

"I could call every single Arriva licence to public inquiry (in consultation with my fellow traffic commissioners) for professional competence but that to do so could send shock waves through the industry and could potentially affect the value of Arriva and destabilise the current PSV market if orders for revocation were made as a result of professional competence not being satisfied".

I would suggest lights should flash but no, this individual came straight from that debacle to become another IL disciple and "Hearing Officer" in charge of hiring and firing, dubious firing at that.

Edited by Will Halsall
  • Like 5

The following advice is currently available on gov.im, so get out there in force, pensioners.

"The 60+ entitles the holder to:

• Free travel on bus services on public holidays, bank holidays and weekends.
  • Half fare travel on bus services before 9am Mondays to Friday and from 4pm to 5.30pm on weekdays.
  • Free travel on bus services from 9am to 4pm and after 5.30pm on weekdays.
  • Half fare on the Night Owl/Hulland Oie services.
  • Free travel after 9am on scheduled services of the IoM Steam Railway.
  • Free travel after 9am on scheduled services of the Manx Electric Railway.
  • Free travel after 9am on scheduled services on the Snaefell Mountain Railway."

The following advice is currently available on gov.im, so get out there in force, pensioners.

"The 60+ entitles the holder to:

• Free travel on bus services on public holidays, bank holidays and weekends.
  • Half fare travel on bus services before 9am Mondays to Friday and from 4pm to 5.30pm on weekdays.
  • Free travel on bus services from 9am to 4pm and after 5.30pm on weekdays.
  • Half fare on the Night Owl/Hulland Oie services.
  • Free travel after 9am on scheduled services of the IoM Steam Railway.
  • Free travel after 9am on scheduled services of the Manx Electric Railway.
  • Free travel after 9am on scheduled services on the Snaefell Mountain Railway."

Everything there is out of date - including "60+".

When it comes to free travel for the over 60s very good value would be had to provide free travel to anywhere in the world for Bell, Tear, and just for good measure Downe, effective immediately provided it was one way and imposed within the next 48 hours.

• Like 4

Allan Bell said on the radio that he realises that the concession changes are sensitive but that pensioners have done well in percentage increase terms in the last few years so this is just trying to instil some fairness across the community. What you are ignoring though Allan, is that 2.5% of not much is really bugger all and 1% for someone on a six figure salary is worth having and the latter is better able to cope with the stealth charges. A little disingenuous, Chief Minister.

• Like 4

When it comes to free travel for the over 60s very good value would be had to provide free travel to anywhere in the world for Bell, Tear, and just for good measure Downe, effective immediately provided it was one way and imposed within the next 48 hours.

I'd be prepared to make a donation - oh hang on a minute, gov.im have already had it in taxes and charges!

Allan Bell said on the radio that he realises that the concession changes are sensitive but that pensioners have done well in percentage increase terms in the last few years so this is just trying to instil some fairness across the community. What you are ignoring though Allan, is that 2.5% of not much is really bugger all and 1% for someone on a six figure salary is worth having and the latter is better able to cope with the stealth charges. A little disingenuous, Chief Minister.

A little disingenuous Chief Minister describes the little creep to a tee.

• Like 2