Pensioners face higher travel costs

Buses are infrastructure now ain't they?

This represents an above inflation rise for pensioners, which Mr Gawne said he would not do now, done, finished and dusted with above inflation rises to raise cash or the likes he said.

Set light to his own pants?

• Like 3
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is that we know we need cuts but we aren't getting enough of them. We are getting a plethora of increased charges seemingly without a care about how people should find the money to pay for

Cuts? What cuts? I expect better of Kate. She is just parroting the same crap as the rest of them here.   Like so many other measures, this isn't a cut. It is a charge increase. All that will happen

They all know what needs to be done but are to full of self preservation and inflated ego's to tackle it in any way whatsoever. Cut the numbers of politicians would make a great start, but I can not

Posted Images

This system of governance is way, way, past it's sell by date even Beecroft has taken Bells 10.000.

And yet still no sign of reigning in there own excesses I just hope people remember all this crap come 2016.

This is all very very wrong FFS

• Like 3

In a nutshell MP the buses trains and trams will still be trundling around empty for most of the time and it was this reasoning that brought about the perk for pensioners in the first place.

I can see the reasoning for stopping free passes until 65, as most people are in work until that point but to bring rules such as this in for even those over 65 is just insane.

Genuine pensioners are going to find it hard enough to exist in the present time thanks to all the stealth taxes introduced over the past year, and to now remove their ability to have a little trip to relieve the tedium of the day is miserly in the extreme.

Most pensioners I know are already struggling to live and do not fall into the category of HNW individuals and much as they may want to can not afford to move off this God Forsaken Rock.

Island Of The Dammed it is fast being turned into.

My thoughts exactly - particularly considering the new raft of cuts coming into effect soon - ie increased toilet tax,increased rates (probably .. no definitely), plus any other hair brained revenue raising scheme they can think up.

How are people on a fixed income supposed to deal with these continual increases ?

Jeez, what are the government allowed to charge for that a lot of yers won't fucking moan about? The same people that bleat on about where we are economically, rear up and roar about every single cost saving attempt.

I doubt this going to make that much difference to a significant amount of pensioners. And to those going up snaefell, bring some sandwiches.

• Like 1

C-Hazard ,nobody objects to paying there way but this Govt has taken things to a new level that is totally unacceptable whilst steadfastly refusing to cut back on their over the top emoluments.100.000 a year FFS LSinger is living in subsidised accommodation despite all his wealth and property whilst people are going to the salvation army to feed themselves.

I will say this once again "Island of The Dammed"

• Like 4

C-Hazard ,nobody objects to paying there way but this Govt has taken things to a new level that is totally unacceptable whilst steadfastly refusing to cut back on their over the top emoluments.100.000 a year FFS LSinger is living in subsidised accommodation despite all his wealth and property whilst people are going to the salvation army to feed themselves.

I will say this once again "Island of The Dammed"

Damn.

Jeez, what are the government allowed to charge for that a lot of yers won't fucking moan about? The same people that bleat on about where we are economically, rear up and roar about every single cost saving attempt.

I doubt this going to make that much difference to a significant amount of pensioners. And to those going up snaefell, bring some sandwiches.

I think the cost cuts that don't really affect them but do affect the less well padded, are a slap in the face. I suspect that this doesn't affect you much, if at all?

Edited by Addie

The new timetable starts on Monday, it would perhaps be helpful for people who use the bus service to find out what changes , if any, are going to be made so they can plan their day, particularly if they need to get to work, that should not be a biggy, but then again anything that the government have their paws over is always done the hard and expensive way.whatever.gif

• Like 1

Another thing, come the election this mob may realise that the older generation are far more likely to vote than the younger generation, I would bet that per ratio the silver surfers, golden girls, o.a.p.'s whatever .....make up a bigger percentage of the voting public than any other age group.....so look out, enjoy the rest of your political careers because for a lot of you it will be curtains. I know people say that we moan and groan andthen it is same...same and the familiar faces creep back in but I have a feeling that the electorate have had a basinful and there will be big changes. Are bookies taking bets on this because I can name 6 who I will put money on not returning, and about another 10 that are on thin ice.

I think the cost cuts that don't really affect them but do affect the less well padded, are a slap in the face. I suspect that this doesn't affect you much, if at all?

No, this particular issue does not affect me at the moment, but it does members of my family and people I know. Whilst they may be mildly perturbed, I doubt it will affect their quality of life that much (it's not massively restrictive). Yes, it may affect a few people more than others but I think probably not enough not to warrant it or some tweeked version of it.

Other cuts have been made which have affected me and I haven't banged on about it, I've just accepted it and moved on as I think it's necessary for us all to make some sacrifices for the greater good.

Anyway, that wasn't really my point. I was really getting at the fact that no matter what new policy, austerity cut, attempt at economic reform, new candidate for something or other etc etc etc, the same people will have a right old moan about it more or less regardless.

As the great American sage Taylor swift once said "the haters gonna hate".

I doubt many pensioners use the bus before 9:30 am unless they are working, in which case half fare is still a reasonable deal. If there are less free passengers on the buses running between 4 pm & 5:30 pm and more space for full fare paying ones then good, something needs to be done to reduce the operating loss of the buses.

How many times must we have to repeat the obvious.

Raising stealth taxes or removing things that make life just a little easier for those who do genuinely need a little help financially is NOT a saving, it is simply an increase to revenue, an ADDITION to Governments coffers (for the neffarious objective of contuing the out of hand expense of.....you guessed it...Government!)

Focusing on the easiest targets is not focusing on the real cost....Government and all it's cohorts.

How much longer can they be allowed to get away with this behaviour.

AND, to Kate personally....you have disappointed me/the Island with this decision of YOURS.

Please, don't have renaeged on your own ideals and standards.

Edited by Sentience