Pensioners face higher travel costs

And don't get me started on child support, why do I have to pay tax so people can breed!!

Agreed, and I would go so far as to say that the state should charge parents for every child that they produce. That would balance out the pension pot a little for the future.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is that we know we need cuts but we aren't getting enough of them. We are getting a plethora of increased charges seemingly without a care about how people should find the money to pay for

Cuts? What cuts? I expect better of Kate. She is just parroting the same crap as the rest of them here.   Like so many other measures, this isn't a cut. It is a charge increase. All that will happen

They all know what needs to be done but are to full of self preservation and inflated ego's to tackle it in any way whatsoever. Cut the numbers of politicians would make a great start, but I can not

Posted Images

I agree with introducing a child tax. Also an immigrant tax so that I migrants would be required to pay a supplement for having access to infrastructure that has been paid for by people in the past.

• Like 1

Also an immigrant tax so that I migrants would be required to pay a supplement for having access to infrastructure that has been paid for by people in the past.

you should pay that on the mainland

No need. I've paid UK taxes and what's more am entitled to reside in the UK as a UK citizen by virtue of grandparenting.

Alf Lloyd is changing Bus Vannin routes:

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=75876

Alf Lloyd did something similar in Derby http://www.route-one.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NW-Arriva-Derby.pdf and after getting a slapped arse by the Senior Traffic Commissioner he is employed by......................yep, IL!

• Like 2

Also an immigrant tax so that I migrants would be required to pay a supplement for having access to infrastructure that has been paid for by people in the past.

Not wishing to be picky, but it's the adjacent island not the mainland......!

Just by way of comparison, I looked up a UK authority at random (Greater Manchester), which runs buses, trams and trains over a rather large area.

Quotes -

"The Concessionary Bus Travel Act states that everyone of state pensionable age and over in England can get free off-peak travel on all local buses anywhere in England."

"If you are an eligible person aged over 60 and a resident of Greater Manchester you can apply for a NCTP, which will entitle you to travel for free on local buses anywhere in England between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays."

"You can use your pass on all local buses in England, no matter what colour or size the bus is, or which company runs it."

"If you are a resident of Greater Manchester and your pass is issued by TfGM, you can travel for free on Metrolink trams between 9.30am and midnight Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays. At all other times you pay the full adult fare."

"If you have a pass issued by Transport for Greater Manchester, you can use it to travel free in standard class on trains within the Greater Manchester rail tickets boundary at these times:
•Between 9.30am and midnight Monday to Friday.
•At any time on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays."

No mention of any restriction during afternoon peak periods.

Greater Manchester trams and trains are free - are we having to pay for ours because they haven't been modernised?

Why are pensioners here always picked on as "whipping boys"?

Like so many other pensioners, when I go on a tram or train, I spend money somewhere along the way, supporting local businesses. A lot of this money may now be spent elsewhere (like on-line, as it will clearly cost more to get out of the house).

I don't think I'm a drain - I pay taxes and rates, I'm not on medication, hardly ever see a doctor, pay for dentistry privately (why are there so few Health Service dentists?), etc........ I have worked for longer than I'd like to think about, never scrounged, paid my bit to the Manx economy, and now I'm being treated like scum, and a cash cow.

Beware, I still have a vote.

Those of you who aren't already pensioners have all this to look forward to, MHKs included.

• Like 5

Not wishing to be picky, but it's the adjacent island not the mainland......!

what the location of the mainland in the british isles then?

Mainland is a name given to a large landmass in a region (as contrasted with a nearby island or islands), or to the largest of a group of islands in an archipelago. Sometimes its residents are called "Mainlanders". Because of its larger area, a mainland almost always has a much larger population than its associated islands, and mainlander culture and politics sometimes threaten to dominate those of the islands.

My house purchase plan has and is serving me well.

I seriously advise anyone thinking of an income in retirement to look into the pro's and con's of doing something similar, the only proviso being to look outside of the Island to purchase property, and to take professional advice because there's a bit more involved than just buying a few run down places, tarting them up, and renting them out.

Additionally have a downsizing plan in place for when an easier to maintain property becomes necessary.

For us adopting the buy to rent strategy has resulted in a monthly income many times more than if we has invested in just a private pension forty years ago and we have the capital assets to pass on to our kids.