Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Phil's (latest) Folly

How about.....give the boat owners two weeks to shift their craft for a month (give them a mooring fee rebate) and then open the flap for a month, agitate the silt whatever and let tides and nature clear it?

If the flap/marina WASN'T there the alleged pollutants would have washed out to sea anyway? In which case who would have cared? Nobody. The heavy metals pollution scare story was invented to keep H&S and the Environmental wallahs in jobs and stop people enjoying themselves pissing around on motorbikes which they've employed elsewhere,as I recall. Where are the same environmental concerns about Cubbon Towers being erected on the Deads?

If there ever was anything nasty being washed down, it's been doing it for years to what detriment?

• Like 4

there are a lot of limpers in foxdale... maybe there was some truth to things??

there are a lot of limpers in foxdale... maybe there was some truth to things??

Limited gene pool?

What's this thread about?

Not just me then.

Peel being shit, or something like that.

Peel being a contaminated hole in the ground - is that closer?

Cross post @Declan

Ah, it's about Peel. Hence the vagueness and ranting. As you were...

I thought it was about the --- questionable --- decision by the infamously awful DoI under 'direction or approval or unknown by' Gormless Gawne to dump contaminated silt in a manner that is at least borderline illegal and without planning approval in a way and to a place whereby pollution of the environment by heavy residue is a real and present danger.

Such illegal dumping of contaminated waste is a criminal offence in the EU and a criminal offense in the UK.

There really is so very much wrong with Gawne's 'empire' as to stagger belief. But the blame can't be heaped entirely on him, the buck stops with Bell.

Just what does Bell actually DO ?

• Like 3

Maybe they should start publishing planning applications in the newspaper. So at least some of us would know what is going on.

• Like 2

Maybe they should start publishing planning applications in the newspaper. So at least some of us would know what is going on.

A good first move would be for the DoI to abide by their own bylaws.

I thought bylaws were Local Authority stuff.

You're probably right. But I think you know what I mean.

Maybe they should have listened in the first place, I seem to re-call that one of the major criticisms of river fed, gated harbours, was the retention of silt.

• Like 4

You're probably right. But I think you know what I mean.

I knew what you meant, I was just joking smile.png

It occurred to my twisted, cynical mind that it might be an idea to look at some of the personae and/or parties involved in this.

Who's now in charge of Ports and Harbours? Yup, you got it, Bullshit Betty from the Airport, with a proven track record in astronomical spending on projects of dubious, in many cases, needs.

Now let's look at the Department. Huge and unwieldy, described by its current Minister, pre-his current position, as being one that he wouldn't have liked to get involved with for those reasons. A Department that having laid off many of it's manual workforce, has, if what I am told by one of the few remaining Manuals is true, a Management to Worker ratio of around 3:1. These Management tiers must be rubbing their under-employed hands together at the prospect of having to create a huge silt-silo, the planning and drawing up, Gawne has already alluded to the, "Membranes, Clay and Sand barriers, the run-off pipework etc. That comes after all the obvious now-ongoing and unapplied-for groundworks. HOW MUCH is all this costing? And how many are being made to look busy because of it?

What I'm getting at here is, Reynolds and the DOI are a marriage made in heaven (for them) in respect of expense, self-justification and job-creation. Gawne has already alluded to not knowing exactly what is/was going on. These two, individual and Dept. need to be reined in, and reined in HARD. Or we're going to have another Airport on our hands.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to take a walk up the old railway line alongside the river out of Peel. The water was crystal-clear with fish in it, flora and fauna along the banks was thriving, certainly not rigid on its back with all four legs in the air. I'm certainly not a Chemist or Metallurgist and don't expect quantities of alleged heavy metals to be blindingly obvious but I could see nothing to induce the blind panic under which this operation appears to be justified.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 2

It occurred to my twisted, cynical mind that it might be an idea to look at some of the personae and/or parties involved in this.

Who's now in charge of Ports and Harbours? Yup, you got it, Bullshit Betty from the Airport, with a proven track record in astronomical spending on projects of dubious, in many cases, needs.

Now let's look at the Department. Huge and unwieldy, described by its current Minister, pre-his current position, as being one that he wouldn't have liked to get involved with for those reasons. A Department that having laid off many of it's manual workforce, has, if what I am told by one of the few remaining Manuals is true, a Management to Worker ratio of around 3:1. These Management tiers must be rubbing their under-employed hands together at the prospect of having to create a huge silt-silo, the planning and drawing up, Gawne has already alluded to the, "Membranes, Clay and Sand barriers, the run-off pipework etc. That comes after all the obvious now-ongoing and unapplied-for groundworks. HOW MUCH is all this costing? And how many are being made to look busy because of it?

What I'm getting at here is, Reynolds and the DOI are a marriage made in heaven (for them) in respect of expense, self-justification and job-creation. Gawne has already alluded to not knowing exactly what is/was going on. These two, individual and Dept. need to be reined in, and reined in HARD. Or we're going to have another Airport on our hands.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to take a walk up the old railway line alongside the river out of Peel. The water was crystal-clear with fish in it, flora and fauna along the banks was thriving, certainly not rigid on its back with all four legs in the air. I'm certainly not a Chemist or Metallurgist and don't expect quantities of alleged heavy metals to be blindingly obvious but I could see nothing to induce the blind panic under which this operation appears to be justified.

It's not the water quality we should be worried about, it's the removal of hazardous waste (EWC code 17-05-05) from the harbour, transporting it through Peel by truck and tipping it into a field right by the main road at Poortown Quarry, which as others have pointed out in here would be a criminal offence anywhere else.

• Like 2