Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Phil's (latest) Folly

Should be buried in Peel tip, wrapped in plastic and gaffer tape and made sure there is no escape for 100 years.

But enough about Phil...where should we put the waste?

• Like 3

It occurred to my twisted, cynical mind that it might be an idea to look at some of the personae and/or parties involved in this.

Who's now in charge of Ports and Harbours? Yup, you got it, Bullshit Betty from the Airport, with a proven track record in astronomical spending on projects of dubious, in many cases, needs.

Now let's look at the Department. Huge and unwieldy, described by its current Minister, pre-his current position, as being one that he wouldn't have liked to get involved with for those reasons. A Department that having laid off many of it's manual workforce, has, if what I am told by one of the few remaining Manuals is true, a Management to Worker ratio of around 3:1. These Management tiers must be rubbing their under-employed hands together at the prospect of having to create a huge silt-silo, the planning and drawing up, Gawne has already alluded to the, "Membranes, Clay and Sand barriers, the run-off pipework etc. That comes after all the obvious now-ongoing and unapplied-for groundworks. HOW MUCH is all this costing? And how many are being made to look busy because of it?

What I'm getting at here is, Reynolds and the DOI are a marriage made in heaven (for them) in respect of expense, self-justification and job-creation. Gawne has already alluded to not knowing exactly what is/was going on. These two, individual and Dept. need to be reined in, and reined in HARD. Or we're going to have another Airport on our hands.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to take a walk up the old railway line alongside the river out of Peel. The water was crystal-clear with fish in it, flora and fauna along the banks was thriving, certainly not rigid on its back with all four legs in the air. I'm certainly not a Chemist or Metallurgist and don't expect quantities of alleged heavy metals to be blindingly obvious but I could see nothing to induce the blind panic under which this operation appears to be justified.

It's not the water quality we should be worried about, it's the removal of hazardous waste (EWC code 17-05-05) from the harbour, transporting it through Peel by truck and tipping it into a field right by the main road at Poortown Quarry, which as others have pointed out in here would be a criminal offence anywhere else.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in years. Your post is more hazardous than the sludge from the marina.

It is not full of plutonium or caesium, does not glow in the dark and will not make you grow another head or 3 more limbs.

Get a fucking grip!

• Like 1

I wonder what heavy metals do come down the river Neb and precipitate in the silt when the gate is closed.

Precisely, this is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post. It must have been going on for at least the last 100yrs, to what discernable effect?

Precisely, this is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post. It must have been going on for at least the last 100yrs, to what discernable effect?

The difference us that the heavy metal contaminants were previously carried out to sea by the unrestricted flow of the river, whereas by allowing the river water to pool as now happens the contaminants settle out from the static water and become concentrated as silt.

It occurred to my twisted, cynical mind that it might be an idea to look at some of the personae and/or parties involved in this.

Who's now in charge of Ports and Harbours? Yup, you got it, Bullshit Betty from the Airport, with a proven track record in astronomical spending on projects of dubious, in many cases, needs.

Now let's look at the Department. Huge and unwieldy, described by its current Minister, pre-his current position, as being one that he wouldn't have liked to get involved with for those reasons. A Department that having laid off many of it's manual workforce, has, if what I am told by one of the few remaining Manuals is true, a Management to Worker ratio of around 3:1. These Management tiers must be rubbing their under-employed hands together at the prospect of having to create a huge silt-silo, the planning and drawing up, Gawne has already alluded to the, "Membranes, Clay and Sand barriers, the run-off pipework etc. That comes after all the obvious now-ongoing and unapplied-for groundworks. HOW MUCH is all this costing? And how many are being made to look busy because of it?

What I'm getting at here is, Reynolds and the DOI are a marriage made in heaven (for them) in respect of expense, self-justification and job-creation. Gawne has already alluded to not knowing exactly what is/was going on. These two, individual and Dept. need to be reined in, and reined in HARD. Or we're going to have another Airport on our hands.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to take a walk up the old railway line alongside the river out of Peel. The water was crystal-clear with fish in it, flora and fauna along the banks was thriving, certainly not rigid on its back with all four legs in the air. I'm certainly not a Chemist or Metallurgist and don't expect quantities of alleged heavy metals to be blindingly obvious but I could see nothing to induce the blind panic under which this operation appears to be justified.

It's not the water quality we should be worried about, it's the removal of hazardous waste (EWC code 17-05-05) from the harbour, transporting it through Peel by truck and tipping it into a field right by the main road at Poortown Quarry, which as others have pointed out in here would be a criminal offence anywhere else.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in years. Your post is more hazardous than the sludge from the marina.

It is not full of plutonium or caesium, does not glow in the dark and will not make you grow another head or 3 more limbs.

Get a fucking grip!

Dilligaf whilst it might make you feel big to react to my post in this manner. Some of us actually work in the real world dealing with waste, and have had to spend many many years doing experimental tests to prove what we expect to happen when waste is placed in an environment. Not to mention the planning permissions and restrictions placed on how we can operate. If you choose not to believe this posting I wish you well in the future

Get a fucking grip!

Dilligaf whilst it might make you feel big to react to my post in this manner. Some of us actually work in the real world dealing with waste, and have had to spend many many years doing experimental tests to prove what we expect to happen when waste is placed in an environment. Not to mention the planning permissions and restrictions placed on how we can operate. If you choose not to believe this posting I wish you well in the future

Like I said before, just bullshit.

You know what is in Peel marina, I know what is in Peel marina and every Tom, Dick and Harry knows what is in Peel marina.

I don't feel big saying that what you say is bullshit, but I think you put yourself above us mere mortals, what with working in the real world and that.

The world has gone mad with too many people like you thinking you are some sort of guardian to the commoner.

What is in Peel marina. A serious question.

Crabs

But apart from the public lavatories?

More crabs....

Eeeyew! Did the crabs crawl from the bogs to the marina, or from the marina to the bogs, or did some fat bird called Marina have a dose and shed them everywhere?

And are they edible?

Edited by spook

More crabs....

Eeeyew! Did the crabs crawl from the bogs to the marina, or from the marina to the bogs, or did some fat bird called Marina have a dose and shed them everywhere?

And are they edible?

Apart from a pin, you may need a little salt and vinegar.

Get a fucking grip!

Like I said before, just bullshit.

You know what is in Peel marina, I know what is in Peel marina and every Tom, Dick and Harry knows what is in Peel marina.

I don't feel big saying that what you say is bullshit, but I think you put yourself above us mere mortals, what with working in the real world and that.

The world has gone mad with too many people like you thinking you are some sort of guardian to the commoner.

I work in the private sector, not for the government. If I decided to dig a big fucking hole at the side of the public highway to tip a recognised hazardous waste into I'd be laughed out of the planning meeting.

Oh hang on that planning meeting hasn't happened.

And the people employed by the government to police the private sector, have decided to big a big fucking hole at the side of the road