Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Phil's (latest) Folly

It occurred to my twisted, cynical mind that it might be an idea to look at some of the personae and/or parties involved in this.

Who's now in charge of Ports and Harbours? Yup, you got it, Bullshit Betty from the Airport, with a proven track record in astronomical spending on projects of dubious, in many cases, needs.

Now let's look at the Department. Huge and unwieldy, described by its current Minister, pre-his current position, as being one that he wouldn't have liked to get involved with for those reasons. A Department that having laid off many of it's manual workforce, has, if what I am told by one of the few remaining Manuals is true, a Management to Worker ratio of around 3:1. These Management tiers must be rubbing their under-employed hands together at the prospect of having to create a huge silt-silo, the planning and drawing up, Gawne has already alluded to the, "Membranes, Clay and Sand barriers, the run-off pipework etc. That comes after all the obvious now-ongoing and unapplied-for groundworks. HOW MUCH is all this costing? And how many are being made to look busy because of it?

What I'm getting at here is, Reynolds and the DOI are a marriage made in heaven (for them) in respect of expense, self-justification and job-creation. Gawne has already alluded to not knowing exactly what is/was going on. These two, individual and Dept. need to be reined in, and reined in HARD. Or we're going to have another Airport on our hands.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to take a walk up the old railway line alongside the river out of Peel. The water was crystal-clear with fish in it, flora and fauna along the banks was thriving, certainly not rigid on its back with all four legs in the air. I'm certainly not a Chemist or Metallurgist and don't expect quantities of alleged heavy metals to be blindingly obvious but I could see nothing to induce the blind panic under which this operation appears to be justified.

It's not the water quality we should be worried about, it's the removal of hazardous waste (EWC code 17-05-05) from the harbour, transporting it through Peel by truck and tipping it into a field right by the main road at Poortown Quarry, which as others have pointed out in here would be a criminal offence anywhere else.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in years. Your post is more hazardous than the sludge from the marina.

It is not full of plutonium or caesium, does not glow in the dark and will not make you grow another head or 3 more limbs.

Get a fucking grip!

Dilligaf whilst it might make you feel big to react to my post in this manner. Some of us actually work in the real world dealing with waste, and have had to spend many many years doing experimental tests to prove what we expect to happen when waste is placed in an environment. Not to mention the planning permissions and restrictions placed on how we can operate. If you choose not to believe this posting I wish you well in the future

Like I said before, just bullshit.

You know what is in Peel marina, I know what is in Peel marina and every Tom, Dick and Harry knows what is in Peel marina.

I don't feel big saying that what you say is bullshit, but I think you put yourself above us mere mortals, what with working in the real world and that.

The world has gone mad with too many people like you thinking you are some sort of guardian to the commoner.

I work in the private sector, not for the government. If I decided to dig a big fucking hole at the side of the public highway to tip a recognised hazardous waste into I'd be laughed out of the planning meeting.

Oh hang on that planning meeting hasn't happened.

And the people employed by the government to police the private sector, have decided to big a big fucking hole at the side of the road

And.............

It occurred to my twisted, cynical mind that it might be an idea to look at some of the personae and/or parties involved in this.

Who's now in charge of Ports and Harbours? Yup, you got it, Bullshit Betty from the Airport, with a proven track record in astronomical spending on projects of dubious, in many cases, needs.

Now let's look at the Department. Huge and unwieldy, described by its current Minister, pre-his current position, as being one that he wouldn't have liked to get involved with for those reasons. A Department that having laid off many of it's manual workforce, has, if what I am told by one of the few remaining Manuals is true, a Management to Worker ratio of around 3:1. These Management tiers must be rubbing their under-employed hands together at the prospect of having to create a huge silt-silo, the planning and drawing up, Gawne has already alluded to the, "Membranes, Clay and Sand barriers, the run-off pipework etc. That comes after all the obvious now-ongoing and unapplied-for groundworks. HOW MUCH is all this costing? And how many are being made to look busy because of it?

What I'm getting at here is, Reynolds and the DOI are a marriage made in heaven (for them) in respect of expense, self-justification and job-creation. Gawne has already alluded to not knowing exactly what is/was going on. These two, individual and Dept. need to be reined in, and reined in HARD. Or we're going to have another Airport on our hands.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to take a walk up the old railway line alongside the river out of Peel. The water was crystal-clear with fish in it, flora and fauna along the banks was thriving, certainly not rigid on its back with all four legs in the air. I'm certainly not a Chemist or Metallurgist and don't expect quantities of alleged heavy metals to be blindingly obvious but I could see nothing to induce the blind panic under which this operation appears to be justified.

It's not the water quality we should be worried about, it's the removal of hazardous waste (EWC code 17-05-05) from the harbour, transporting it through Peel by truck and tipping it into a field right by the main road at Poortown Quarry, which as others have pointed out in here would be a criminal offence anywhere else.

Biggest load of bullshit I've read in years. Your post is more hazardous than the sludge from the marina.

It is not full of plutonium or caesium, does not glow in the dark and will not make you grow another head or 3 more limbs.

Get a fucking grip!

Dilligaf whilst it might make you feel big to react to my post in this manner. Some of us actually work in the real world dealing with waste, and have had to spend many many years doing experimental tests to prove what we expect to happen when waste is placed in an environment. Not to mention the planning permissions and restrictions placed on how we can operate. If you choose not to believe this posting I wish you well in the future

Like I said before, just bullshit.

You know what is in Peel marina, I know what is in Peel marina and every Tom, Dick and Harry knows what is in Peel marina.

I don't feel big saying that what you say is bullshit, but I think you put yourself above us mere mortals, what with working in the real world and that.

The world has gone mad with too many people like you thinking you are some sort of guardian to the commoner.

I work in the private sector, not for the government. If I decided to dig a big fucking hole at the side of the public highway to tip a recognised hazardous waste into I'd be laughed out of the planning meeting.

Oh hang on that planning meeting hasn't happened.

And the people employed by the government to police the private sector, have decided to big a big fucking hole at the side of the road

And.............

You are Phil Gawne and I claim my £5. Goodnight x

It's strange how only 6 months ago the pollution threat was so insignificant that the DOI were pumping the silt off the end of Peel Breakwater? Or was that too cheap a solution?

It would be interesting to know how much they have spent so far in trying and failing to solve the silt problem, it must be a pretty penny by now?

They seem to have tried every possible method apart from the most sensible one.

Which is?

Yes, open the gate and let the river and tide do the job like it has for the last 100yrs. The dilution ratio would be billions to one. But that wouldn't be job creation, would it?

What is proposed for the silt after we,ve buried it? Leave it for somebody else in 30yrs time, like the Raggat?

• Like 2

Change of subject a bit, but the white slick that graces Douglas Bay from the creamery, is that an ok thing or are there rules governing what can be spewed out into the bay?

Which is?

Crane the f**king pleasure boats out and put them in the House of Mannannan car Park , disconnect the pontoons stage by stage as neede,drop the gates and send in the diggers at low tide.

*Edited to add*

The trawlers can tie up against the wall like they used to.

Edited by homarus

Change of subject a bit, but the white slick that graces Douglas Bay from the creamery, is that an ok thing or are there rules governing what can be spewed out into the bay?

Doesn't seem to be at kicking out time at Quids Inn.

cadmium is the most mentioned spooky ,though how it got there i know not... the hole they dug to put the silt in does look a bit sandy though mr performing seal dilligaf

I tranched the net a bit both about the Neb and its tributaries especially those that carry leachings from the natural geology, the draining from old mines working, and old spoil heaps from old mines and elevated levels of zinc, lead, copper, cadmium and even radioactive elements including uranium were present.

I'm not a geologist but I do know that over a period of time heavy metals are usually concentrated in organic things, and we are an organic thing. Lead is notable for the brain damage that it causes.

And so, because the heavy metals contained in the Neb will have settled out into, indeed formed a substantial percentage of the silt, not only is it a hazard but dumping it where the now concentrated heavy metal pollutant can leach into water courses and from there into crops, and maybe even into water sources is not a good idea.

Dumping contaminated silt into the sea will also result in pollution, especially of filter feeders but the motion of the sea plus the massive dispersion that results is the least worst and closest to natural manner in which hazardous material is dealt with.

The Poortown solution is nothing short of scandalous. And that is apart from the pollution caused by trucks carrying the filth to the dump.

• Like 1

This ties in with the thread nicely about dim Tim, the Peel MHK, even though the hole is not in his constituency but very close and the wagons will no doubt be dumping this liquid stuff on the roads out of Peel on their way, he has said nothing. Neither has his neighbour in Glenfaba, it has been up to the Commissioners to create a stink (no pun intended). Is Anderson going to speak out or not? hang on though, didn't he put his name forward for Leg. Co like dim Tim? The West is doomed!!

Edited by stanleyfan
  • Like 2

This ties in with the thread nicely about dim Tim, the Peel MHK, even though the hole is not in his constituency but very close and the wagons will no doubt be dumping this liquid stuff on the roads out of Peel on their way, he has said nothing. Neither has his neighbour in Glenfaba, it has been up to the Commissioners to create a stink (no pun intended). Is Anderson going to speak out or not? hang on though, didn't he put his name forward for Leg. Co like dim Tim? The West is doomed!!

Good post. They are there to represent the people. But hey, they just look like they are there to look after the interests of the big boys and the gang and the interests of themselves.

Back on topic, I am sure Phil will do the best thing because he does ploughing matches and speaks Manx and plays Manxie tunes on the fiddle and does all that sort of stuff. He will do what is best for the environment and people of the Isle of Man. For sure.

• Like 1

Good post. They are there to represent the people. But hey, they just look like they are there to look after the interests of the big boys and the gang and the interests of themselves.

Back on topic, I am sure Phil will do the best thing because he does ploughing matches and speaks Manx and plays Manxie tunes on the fiddle and does all that sort of stuff. He will do what is best for the environment and people of the Isle of Man. For sure.

I look forward to see him sinking into the silt in a few years when he is in a ploughing match on that field and has forgotten where it is.