Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
hissingsid

Phil's (latest) Folly

Before the building of the Marina, and the blocking of the Harbour entrance, what happened to all the

contaminated silt that was in Peel Harbour?

The contaminant remained in suspension because of the flow of the Neb and was carried out to sea in a relatively dilute form and there was dispersed.

It's the manner in which the Marina causes the contaminant to settle out from being in suspension because there is no flow taking place that has resulted it becoming concentrated and so produced the poisonous silt.

And so, in spite of the entirely legitimate concerns about spilling toxic silt that is now reported as taking place and the lack of permission to dump the poison at Poor town, the arrogance of the fool Gawne continues to ride roughshod over public opinion and genuine and legitimate concern.

This staggers belief, well it would anywhere where there was a decent and responsible government.

Bell is supposed to be the Chief Minister, ergo the buck stops with him. He should step in, at LEAST reprimand Gawne and put an immediate stop to all further work until a public enquiry has taken place addressing bad governance and inappropriate handling of a toxic substance.

This whole thing is not stupidity, it is a national disgrace.

Edited by spook
  • Like 3

Seems quite a lot of the crap didn't make it as far as the quarry.

• Like 1

Then Noddy said to his best friend:

'Big Ears; would you like to come to Peel with me in my little red car ? I could show you my nice boat that's in the lovely new marina.'

'I'd like that very much Noddy' said Big Ears, and they set off along Peel Road.

Noddy made sure that he kept to all the new speed limits on the way, for he was a careful little driver.

Big Ears loved being driven by Noddy and liked to listen to Noddy's little bell tinkling in the wind as they sped along.

As they went through Ballacraine traffic lights, Noddy surprised Big Ears by changing down, turning sharp right and gunning it towards Ballig.

'Why are we going this way Noddy ?' Big Ears enquired.

His question was soon answered as Noddy stuck his winker out and fed the wheel round onto the Poortown Road.

Noddy would have opened her up to 40mph but for all the big heavy lorries coming the other way.

It was just at the roundabout by the Highwayman that Big Ears knew all was not well. A moment before it happened he saw the silt on the road, but it was too late. The little roadster's brave wheels struggled for grip on the slippery surface but Noddy was powerless to control the back end sliding away from him.

Thirty minutes later they waved the tow-truck off with Noddy's car on the back, and the two friends walked the rest of the way into Peel.

'Come on' said Big Ears, 'I'll buy you an ice cream at that nice Mr Davison's and then we'll go and see your boat'

But Noddy was too upset. His day had been ruined.

• Like 5

Gawne is reported as saying that the Poortown fix is only temporary implying that the poisonous waste will have to be moved elsewhere at some stage.

I really don't understand why people are not up in arms about this. The fool is creating a toxic hazard that will continue to a hazard into the future long after he has moved on.

This is a really big deal.

• Like 1

This is a really big deal.

Sorry spooky but it isn't. Silt has been accumulating in Peel Harbour for much longer than the marina has been in place.

Here's a Tynwald Hansard from 1903. http://www.tynwald.org.im/business/hansard/19001920/tc-19030424-v0020.pdf

No, It IS big deal because the Marina is acting as a settling pond concentrating the contaminants. The result is that the mud is much more than just solids that have settled out, many of the heavy metals are dissolved in the water and they concentrate in some cases by becoming absorbed in the biomass that forms part of the silt.

This IS a big deal.

• Like 2

It's also a big deal because of certain aspects of the way that DOI is dealing with the issue and associated and ongoing future costs.

This problem can't have just arisen out of the blue,they must have known these problems would occur at the time they were researching their proposal for a marina.

Questions need asking urgently about this situation.

ETA: All goes hand in hand with the DOT/DOI being historically the most out off control Govt dept ever.

Edited by Lisenchuk
  • Like 3

spook will grasp at anything that validates his decision to move away from the Isle of Man.

Don't take his word on anything that paints the Isle of Man in a bad light. He might - randomly - be right on occasion but never forget that his motivation is to convince himself that he was right all along to leave

• Like 3

spook will grasp at anything that validates his decision to move away from the Isle of Man.

Don't take his word on anything that paints the Isle of Man in a bad light. He might - randomly - be right on occasion but never forget that his motivation is to convince himself that he was right all along to leave

Don't be an idiot all your life, take a holiday once in a while.

I CARE about the Island in spite of having left and it breaks my heart to see the likes of the fool Gawne underwriting this insanity.

If there really was no issue then how come dumping the poisonous silt at sea but close to land was considered too hazardous?

Don't be an idiot all your life, take a holiday once in a while.

I CARE about the Island in spite of having left and it breaks my heart to see the likes of the fool Gawne underwriting this insanity.

If there really was no issue then how come dumping the poisonous silt at sea but close to land was considered too hazardous?

Do you ever post anything on a Norfolk forum about events in Norfolk?

The irony of polluted waste being dumped by the DOI right outside the house of a vexatious complainant

What are the chances?

Nobody would have been stupid enough to discharge the leachate drawn from the Raggat on a regular basis into the tidal harbour after it was closed to make a marina would they....

It would appear from the photographs posted on facebook by Phil Kneen that this theory is actually happening!