A Keys spokesperson ------

Well they should have kept the mannin that was a fine vessel, did the dredging for years and it was a lot more up to the job than that bloody raft they call a boat.

Another waste of money, lucky we aint keeping score of the spectacular waste of money that has gone on in the past, the island is not really any better for it I know that.

There is no future in pumping shit up hill sweat.gif

But where there's muck, there's brass!
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I'm sure a lot of people watch these forums to help "take the temperature" of local feelings, you're kidding yourself if you think it represents an official form of communication that warrants a

There's a reason that Gawne gets a rough ride on here Declan. He's one of the biggest clowns in Tynwald, with one disaster after another, and he deserves all the criticism that comes his way. His 'man

You want them to provide official responses to things that "spook" (who doesn't live on the isle of man) says on an internet forum?   Well, good luck with that.

Whether they are raised on this forum or not does not make a blind bit of difference to the simple fact that spook is correct in that we get very little standard comment from any government representatives on the issues of the day. Some of these issues are very much their responsibility and they should be taking account of and advising of their awareness and thoughts upon. Still being without any FOI act we haven't much insight into what they are doing on our behalf.

I agree that IOM Government, Tynwald and MHKs individually can engage better; but be realistic in your expectations, especially in the case of individual MHKs as we have little if any support to do this. Please understand too that there are constraints to what we can discuss, constraints arising from departmental roles, membership of parliamentary committees or statutory boards/offices etc..Other points are:i) Hansard is available online and is a good source to find out what politicians are thinking. Agendas, legislation, explanatory memos, questions, debates and votes are all available. There is a search engine.ii) All government department press releases are available online as well. Government has a central communications office whose staff liaise with departments to prepare and issue media releases and other contact.iii) Tynwald itself has press releases - about its committee work for instance - and its staff are trying to make its work accessible.iv) IOM Newspapers, radio stations and internet media try to cover politics given interest and available resource.

I agree that Hansard is an excellent point of reference but only in respect of what MHKs have said in the past.

It is also a great way to gauge the direction in which the Government is taking this island on certain topics, especially when they concern the ratepayer or local authorities at the moment.

As I have posted previously, listening to public opinon or keeping them fully informed is vital to ensure that the Isle of Man is moving in the right direction.

Taking the "Silt" heading to St Johns from Peel, the public information issued by the DOI in the local press just doesn't add up at the moment.

I am not getting involved in that debate but elected Members in Peel and Glenfaba should be asking serious questions before it is too late.

Edited by Rob Callister

I think if you have a very strong opinion then direct communication is best rather than venting on one of the many threads on a forum populated in the main by miserable trolling cocks

How do you directly communicate with the electorate, though? Bad politicians are caused by bad voters.

That is an interesting question. Since others have been complaining that this forum is just a place for middle aged men to 'whine' - how about that for a discussion point - how can they communicate better with the plebs ? Come on Government - give us something to help us understand your ineptness ! or at least try to explain it.

On your second point,I believe that many politicians have the best of intentions when they enter the 'game', but are very soon sucked into the dirty mess that is politics, and hence realise on which side their bread is really buttered ( if they want the perks - the extra cash - and not being made to look a fool by the Civil Service ( see what happened to Gawnie ... )

• Like 1

Whether they are raised on this forum or not does not make a blind bit of difference to the simple fact that spook is correct in that we get very little standard comment from any government representatives on the issues of the day. Some of these issues are very much their responsibility and they should be taking account of and advising of their awareness and thoughts upon. Still being without any FOI act we haven't much insight into what they are doing on our behalf.

I agree that IOM Government, Tynwald and MHKs individually can engage better; but be realistic in your expectations, especially in the case of individual MHKs as we have little if any support to do this. Please understand too that there are constraints to what we can discuss, constraints arising from departmental roles, membership of parliamentary committees or statutory boards/offices etc..

Other points are:

i) Hansard is available online and is a good source to find out what politicians are thinking. Agendas, legislation, explanatory memos, questions, debates and votes are all available. There is a search engine.

ii) All government department press releases are available online as well. Government has a central communications office whose staff liaise with departments to prepare and issue media releases and other contact.

iii) Tynwald itself has press releases - about its committee work for instance - and its staff are trying to make its work accessible.

iv) IOM Newspapers, radio stations and internet media try to cover politics given interest and available resource.

OK, how's this for realistic?

Given the level of waste/failed projects that has gone on over the past years - if this had happened in a normal business , the managers responsible would have been fired, and action would have been taken to ensure that the shareholders maintained their confidence in the Board.

I believe that we could be seen as shareholders in the Island ( we all contribute financially ) - and have an expectation that it will be run competently. It is also encumbent on the officers in charge to maintain public confidence.

Your list of communication methods is interesting, but I think that press releases and Government Communications Office etc etc serve only to put a positive spin on what is happening ( when was the last time you saw a Government press release criticising the Government ). Add to this the lack of investigative journalism, and I think that communication is bound to be somewhat skewed in its approach.

• Like 3

It's good to see Chris and Rob commenting after being elected.

Most members could name several Local & National political members who have used Manx Forums to promote their own election campaigns and then simply vanished into distance.

Question Mr. Callister if you are elected into the House of Keys in 2016 will you continue to contribute to these forms?

Edited by Manxtrust

I agree that IOM Government, Tynwald and MHKs individually can engage better; but be realistic in your expectations, especially in the case of individual MHKs as we have little if any support to do this. Please understand too that there are constraints to what we can discuss, constraints arising from departmental roles, membership of parliamentary committees or statutory boards/offices etc..

Other points are:

i) Hansard is available online and is a good source to find out what politicians are thinking. Agendas, legislation, explanatory memos, questions, debates and votes are all available. There is a search engine.

ii) All government department press releases are available online as well. Government has a central communications office whose staff liaise with departments to prepare and issue media releases and other contact.

iii) Tynwald itself has press releases - about its committee work for instance - and its staff are trying to make its work accessible.

iv) IOM Newspapers, radio stations and internet media try to cover politics given interest and available resource.

That avoids the issue.

It's not a case of information being available, it's a case of a response needed to complaints and concerns that are being expressed in spite of information having been made available.

The contaminated silt issue is a case in point. Gawne had said his piece, various other platitudes had been expressed, and yet in spite of this a number of people challenged what had been made available, and legitimately so because what was on the table was and still is WRONG.

What I believe is that for subjects such as this a formal response from the government either to downplay the concern with evidence WHY there is no cause for concern, or to indicate what steps will be taken to investigate what will be done to prove or disprove the cause for concern

Good grief, with the monstrous size of the Civil Service that is so out of scale with what a blind man can see is totally out of kilter with the needs for a population approximately the size of many towns on the Mainland it is inconceivable that the 'not enough resources' card can be legitimately employed.

I think Rob and Chris's comments illustrate why it's bad for the forums for there to be an official voice on the forums. Everything gets bogged down in minutes, and regulations and the language of committees.

The forum should be a free-wheeling exchange of ideas. If politicians want to contribute they should do so anonymously rather than cowardly using their own names to give gravitas to weak arguments.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2

spook should get one of these to stop him getting so many bees in his bonnet

veil.jpg

Funnily enough we're seriously considering buying a couple of hives!

We border on farmland and heathland so there should be no shortage of pollen bearing plants, plus bees are great to have around!

I think Rob and Chris's comments illustrate why it's bad for the forums for there to be an official voice on the forums. Everything gets bogged down in minutes, and regulations and the language of committees.

The forum should be a free-wheeling exchange of ideas. If politicians want to contribute they should do so anonymously rather than cowardly using their own names to give gravitas to weak arguments.

On that I agree, hence my suggestion of 'A spokesman' or as in the UK 'Downing Street says'.

Spook, you are a moron. The government as a whole should not be responding to bods grumbling about shit they barely understand on facebook, forums, or anywhere else. If you have serious questions or concerns you can contact the relevant person directly, state your questions or concerns, and perhaps get an answer from them. If you don't get an answer then you can start complaining about lack of communication. Until you've done that you should stfu.

What sort of response do you imagine you're going to get on here? Are they going to admit their faults? Are they going to engage in debate with you and others daily who like to have a moan about current affairs on social media?

"Dear Mrs Joughin, we noticed your message on facebook. We agree that the amount of dog mess on the pavements is a 'disgrace to our island' and that we, the 'useless shower of shites on the gravy train,' are not doing enough to combat the problem. Please advise us on how to proceed.'

• Like 5

Vulgaris, you miss the point.

There are SOME matters that should be raised in a public forum thst deserve to be replied to on the same forum.

Not all matters, but some, and the poisoning of land at Poortown is one example.

Look, if things are not made to change then everything will remain the same or even get worse. The way that the poisonous silt from the Peel setting pool should be disposed of is a classic example of where exposure is essential and the government departments exposed and forced to justify why what is on the table is even being considered.

The Peel poison issue happens to be the most immediate and most blatantly wrong but other matters exist that should be challenged and a means for a response be in place and be used.

Vexatious matters, or minor annoyances could reasonably be left as just the same old same old pet moans but some matters are important.

For an individual to raise an issue with his MHK is fine, but it is not always appropriate.

Publicity is a great lever when it comes to taking organisations to task over inportant matters, especially organisations such as Bell's inner circle and its followers.

It's good to see Chris and Rob commenting after being elected.

Most members could name several Local & National political members who have used Manx Forums to promote their own election campaigns and then simply vanished into distance.

Question Mr. Callister if you are elected into the House of Keys in 2016 will you continue to contribute to these forms?

The simple answer is yes, wherever possible.

However, the House of Keys are not on my radar until after 1st May 2016