Plans for Tesco Express at The Strand, Douglas

From page 15 of the Manx Independent:

Exhibition to show plans for Tesco's town centre shop

Plans to open a Tesco Express shop in Douglas town centre are progressing.

Proposals for the new store will be shown at an exhibition on Thursday, April 23.

The convenience store is to be located in the former home of the Manx Electricity Authority in The Strand Centre - which has been empty since 2012.

The public exhibition is being held at the vacant shop on April 23 from 2pm until 7pm.

As well as viewing information about the planned store, residents will be able to discuss the proposals with members of the troubled retailer's project team.

The Douglas Tesco Express store would be the company's second shop in the island.

Its attempt to open in Castletown was thwarted over licensing issues and an attempt to expand the Lake Road supermarket was denied.

Tesco employs more than 290 people at its Douglas supermarket, which opened 15 years ago.

Supermarket critics claim that big shops such as Tesco kill off more jobs than they create because of their impact on smaller businesses.

Suppliers

The Lake Road store, which is one of Tesco's busiest, raised £12,000 last year for charities and groups in the island and it claims it works with a growing number of Isle of Man suppliers.

However, it supplies far fewer Manx products than its main rival, Shoprite.

What do you think about a Tesco Express opening in The Strand?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do we really need another Tesco store?   I personally find their business model offensive and they really are screwing suppliers for every penny.   What shop do you know that charges suppliers to

It will likely increase footfall through the street.

I agree and I think it was Castletown's loss that Tesco were not allowed to enter the town because of the grip that Shoprite have on the town.

In many towns across there are these Tesco Expresses and they seem to be quite busy - they aren't intended for use with your car for a normal food shop, they are there for people already in town to do "light shopping" and for snacks etc.

I think it's a good place for it - better than an empty shop!

• Like 4

Better than empty shops and as Albert says it will increase the number of people visiting Strand Street. Tesco aren't stupid and I'm sure they will have seen an opportunity which we aren't qualified to foresee.

Not sure that it will effect Shoprite, as said these are convenience stores not full supermarkets.

• Like 1

I think a mini-supermarket in the Strand Centre could be a real asset to the town centre. I don't have a strong opinion either way on the question of the alcohol licence.

I had originally thought that it would have been good if Curry's had taken over all the MEA shops instead of building a big store out of town. Failing that, a Tesco Express - hopefully selling as much Manx produce as possible - would be good.

As for Shoprite/Iceland - who knows? - they may even benefit if more people come to town to shop. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I am not sure that Strand Street can afford to lose some newly occupied premises and a few new jobs ! Think the naysayers should look carefully at the street before turning away anyone !

I agree and I think it was Castletown's loss that Tesco were not allowed to enter the town because of the grip that Shoprite have on the town.

• Like 4

Do we really need another Tesco store?

I personally find their business model offensive and they really are screwing suppliers for every penny.

What shop do you know that charges suppliers to put their product on the shelf ?

Much rather give a local business my money than look after Tesco share holders

• Like 6