Plans for Tesco Express at The Strand, Douglas

It will hurt local businesses, but will be lower prices for the customer.

It will provide a small number of low paid jobs, which wont benefit the economy a great deal.

What local businesses?????

Tesco pay quite good wages for retail work, at least in the Isle of Man.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do we really need another Tesco store?   I personally find their business model offensive and they really are screwing suppliers for every penny.   What shop do you know that charges suppliers to

It will likely increase footfall through the street.

I agree and I think it was Castletown's loss that Tesco were not allowed to enter the town because of the grip that Shoprite have on the town.

There is very little in the way of food that I would buy in Shopshiteland. I like the Wilkinsons bit though.

Agreed - I only go to Shoprite if I want alcohol and can't be arsed going to Tesco. Now that Tesco might have an Express nearby, I'll be going there and getting it cheaper. Given that this will then leave me with more disposable income, I would say that would be good news for local businesses which aren't retail - because it means I have more money to spend in their shops. As for Shoprite's "Manx to the Max" claim, why do I have to go to Tesco if I want Manx baked potatoes???

I think the Spar in strand street will be impacted the most.

Potentially M&S would be most impacted I should have thought. Particularly at lunchtime. Although some of the impact would be minimised by it being right up the other end of the street. And it's normally raining or blowing a gale.

What does Spar sell ? I'm guessing sugary drinks, cigarettes and scratch cards + the Daily Express :-)

I can imagine chaos regarding deliveries being made there.

Tesco have a big store. Weren't Douglas roads altered to suit Tesco's purposes? Isn't that quite enough for any one company or are we in a 'bend over?'. 'How far' situation?

In my opinion their food isn't very good, certainly miles below the standards of Waitrose and some way beneath the Coop. Plus, if I were to be forced into buying any meat products in Tesco, I wouldn't trust any of it that wasn't in a clearly identifiable form.

Profits over provenance?

What are the basic salaries in Tesco IOM anyway and how do they compare with other island supermarkets exactly? Or are they not paying the living wage, leaving the Manx taxpayer to underwrite part of their payroll/contribute to profits?

Edited by Addie
  • Like 2

I can imagine chaos regarding deliveries being made there.

Tesco have a big store. Weren't Douglas roads altered to suit Tesco's purposes? Isn't that quite enough for any one company or are we in a 'bend over?'. 'How far' situation?

It's just a small store, the MEA shop doesn't give them much room. How much chaos can that cause?

As for 'how far' and 'bending over'; shoprite have two stores in douglas, and stores in every town. Same for the coop. I understand peoples reluctance to tesco putting other companies out of business, and I don't use the douglas tesco store personally very often, but these arguments don't seem very fair.

There's no planning issue as it's already retail, so why would anyone want to block it?

I think the Spar in strand street will be impacted the most.

How exactly is the Spar a local business? Who owns it? And what local products do they sell?