Pension or Buying Property?

House prices have an obvious knock-on effect on rent prices. If you pay more to buy a house, you're obviously going to charge someone more to reside in it. Economics 101, dumbass.

More rental properties in the context of people buying up existing properties to rent out means less properties available to buy, which means supply of houses for sale is constrained and house prices and rent prices go up, dumbass.

Dumbass, not dumb-ass, dumbass.

Edited by Isaac
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that's an open invitation to the doom & gloom merchants to relate how sh1t the IoM is, it's much better in Norfolk and Cornwall

Buy Bitcoin! Lol. Only jokin'.       If you are considering purchasing residential as an investment, make sure it is modern and will not need loads of maintenance. A ne

An absolutely personal opinion.   No way advice one way or another.   Personally I would not buy property on the Isle of Man, especially not as an investment.

House prices have an obvious knock-on effect on rent prices. If you pay more to buy a house, you're obviously going to charge someone more to reside in it. Economics 101, dumbass.

If you had even a basic understanding of economics you would know that the cost of something doesn't set it's price. The price is the amount the market is willing to pay. A rise in supply, such as an increase in the number of rental properties would reduce the price no matter what the house was worth.

Dumb-ass.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Star_Trek_IV:_The_Voyage_Home

Spock: Admiral, may I ask you a question?

James T. Kirk: Spock, don't call me Admiral. You used to call me Jim. Don't you remember "Jim"? What's your question?

Spock: Your use of language has altered since our arrival. It is currently laced with, shall I say, more colorful metaphors-- "Double dumb-ass on you" and so forth.

So if all these BTL landlords* didn't buy, would the prices drop to a level where most of those renting would be able to buy? They'd have to buy because there would be a lot less to rent.....

Seriously though, selling off social housing was a mistake and they're now offering to increase it with the same old promises. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

* I'm not one btw.

• Like 1

selling off social housing was a good thing, the problem was not ring fencing the money to build more housing

as for investments, buy land:thumbsup:

Er...did you read that in the Daily Mirror?..hasn't happened here fella.

that's an open invitation to the doom & gloom merchants to relate how sh1t the IoM is, it's much better in Norfolk and Cornwall :lol:

.....and Syria; the Congo; Afganistan; Kashmir; the planet Zog....etc...etc...etc.

selling off social housing was a good thing, the problem was not ring fencing the money to build more housing

Why would you need to build so much if you didn't sell it in the first place?(Sorry Albert, not everything on here is island-centric.)

Whilst there is no capital cains tax, no inheitance tax, no stamp duty (sort off) and low interest rates then I would buy a property.

Property will always go up and down. the IoM market is flat at the moment but looking at long term trends even in the 70's and early 80's when the IoM was really in the shit then property has faired well.

The secret is getting a good tenant, keeping them and looking after them so they dont even consider wanting to leave.

Good luck!