Andrew Jessopp - Chairman

Seacliffe
Ballaveare
Old Castletown Road
Braddan
Isle of Man
IM4 1BB

Telephone: 622937

This morning he was on Manx Radio talking about the high cost of maintaining the working cottages in Cronkbourne and therefore the Braddan Commissioners have decided to consider selling them. These date back to the middle of the 19th Century and have a connection with Archibald Knox.

Its ironic that Andrew Jessopp has gone on air with this as there are countless planning notes where he has objected to numerous properties being redeveloped in the private sector because they were uneconomical to manage in their present state.

He has in my opinion lost all credibility now, and the planning commitee should take note of this U turn in all of his future planning obstructions/objections which he has and no doubt will continoue to put forward on a personal level.

His above contact details taken from the Braddan Comissioners web site. I will be writing to him.

Edited by spermann
  • Like 1

I thought they were at Cronkbourne - has he moved them without planning?

It seems to me that it makes sense for Braddan Commissioners to sell these properties if they are costing a lot of money. By all accounts they are cold and damp. A private company may have the money to bring them up to modern standards whereas the people of Braddan wouldn't be very pleased if their rates were used to do that.

Did he ever have any credibility to lose in the first place?

I think we can extend that lack of credibility to the Commissioners as a whole; as they chose to make Jessopp Chairman, they've clearly all enjoyed a lobotomy.

• Like 1

Here is an interesting link:

https://www.gov.im/media/632495/0900258regbldoldschoolhouse.pdf

Plenty of money was spent on the village in the 1980's, I think, following long debate on whether or not it should be demolished. It was wrapped in polythene for years pending a decision on its future.

Much of the structure is still rubble with sea sand in the mortar. Consequently they will always be damp. It's a brave developer who takes them on!

• Like 1

Will they be 'listed' before being sold - if not why not?

250 buildings have been registered in the island.

275 have been identified as worthy of consideration.

Meanwhile the person responsible has been seconded elsewhere to fast track planning permission for the Douglas Master Plan etc.

Mind you being registered doesn't seem to have had much benefit when it comes to the Castle Mona Hotel since it was registered in 1985 and other buildings that have been altered.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1

Queens Pier in Ramsey is also registered, look at that now. They aren't properly registered anyway.

Mr Jessop is only the Chair of the commissioners, not his decision alone and would have been decided on a vote of the whole body.

Why not let someone else have a crack at developing them, at least Buster isn't there now so Dandara won't be getting their hands on them. They're nearly all empty anyway so may as well save some ratepayers money and maybe help out by selling them.
Archibold Knox lived in one for a time, so what?

• Like 2

Queens Pier in Ramsey is also registered, look at that now. They aren't properly registered anyway.

Mr Jessop is only the Chair of the commissioners, not his decision alone and would have been decided on a vote of the whole body.

Why not let someone else have a crack at developing them, at least Buster isn't there now so Dandara won't be getting their hands on them. They're nearly all empty anyway so may as well save some ratepayers money and maybe help out by selling them.

Archibold Knox lived in one for a time, so what?

So they could keep one as a little museum for the Archibald Knox Society.

If they want to buy it I'm sure they'll look at the offer, although I think they're being sold as a job lot with a 5yr period for the present tenants to be allowed to stay.