The ugly side of Manx Politics - Rob Callister

Just see this on the LV Facebook page - posted by Rob Callister

The ugly side of Manx Politics

I am still reeling from certain events from yesterday.

When elected as a Commissioner in May 2012 I offered to serve the people of Onchan to the very best of my abilities without "fear or favour". I also promised to commit sufficient time to do the job right and to act upon any genuine question or concern brought to my attention.

I totally agree that not everyone will agree with my politics or the way I conduct myself at times.

I have certainly ruffled a few feathers along the way when I have challenged the conduct of others when I truly believe they are not acting in the best interests of the Board, the Authority or the people we represent.

Even when challenging Government Departments, Ministers, MHK's or other Commissioners I have done my homework and stuck to the facts, and never made it personal, because politics is based on differing opinions and opening debates to a wider audience.

To the MHK and the Commissioner who wrongly reported me yesterday for acting outside my statutory powers as an "Individual Commissioner" this is duly noted. The 2016 elections have certainly started and I expect the Onchan elections to be particularly dirty, if my experience of the 2011 By-Election is anything to go by.

For the record, as an individual Commissioner I fully understand that I do not have any powers to stop or interfere with works of ANY statutory Committee undertaking its work.

I more than happy to state that after receiving some concerns ("comments") I undertook a full review of the facts and the current legislation surrounding those concerns, to the best of my ability.

These concerns will be given to the Board of Commissioners in due course, but I didn't go beyond my elected powers.

• Like 2
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any manifesto is a singularly large waste of time without party politics and others signed up to the same aims and objectives.

That is incorrect. I, like many others, voted for him and would vote for him again. He is the best commissioner Onchan has ever had and I hope he will continue to serve the people of Onchan and the Is

yesterday ...but you dont hear me banging on about it

Posted Images

Are you sure you aren't Rob Callister (or someone close to him)? You always seem to post links to stories or things related to him.

It's Rob, he always denies it and claims to come from Ramsey (like he's some Northern weird gay Rob Callister stalker) but ...... It's Rob. He ain't fooling anyone.

Edited by oldmanxfella

Are you sure you aren't Rob Callister (or someone close to him)? You always seem to post links to stories or things related to him.

It's Rob, he always denies it and claims to come from Ramsey (like he's some Northern weird gay Rob Callister stalker) but ...... It's Rob. He ain't fooling anyone.

A Gay Stalker - How very rude?

I do live in Ramsey and a keen follower of his work in respect Social Housing and the level of rents I have suffered in the last in the three years.

Who else is looking out for us Social Tenants - fact!

Why cant I promote his good work.

I have liked all of what Rob has posted on here and I think he serves the public that elected him well, in fact they are a rare breed in manx politics.

Hopefully he keeps going and does not get disillusioned with the whole dirty tactics that some employ, I personally think a few of them are worried about him standing for MHK.

Keep up the good work Rob its the general public that need a voice, maybe some people need to realise what an elected official is meant to do once in office ?

• Like 3

I have liked all of what Rob has posted on here and I think he serves the public that elected him well, in fact they are a rare breed in manx politics.

Er...didn't he get in unopposed? No one actually voted for him?

Er...didn't he get in unopposed? No one actually voted for him?

Destined for LegCo then.

• Like 2

He is one of the few that seem to ask questions, most seem to follow the leader and raid the drinks cabinet stuart.gif

I have noticed david quirk has started to make noise in the last couple of weeks, must be time to make it look like he has done something sorcerer.gif

• Like 4

If I wanted this information posted on Manx Forums, I would have posted it under my own name.

I am not Manx Trust.

Neither am I Mannan's Review, James Corrin, Roger Smelly or any other individual who wishes to share my postings or details on the work I undertake as a Commissioner.

That said, I am not going to criticise them either for taking the time to post positive comments, which are certainly welcome given the amount of time my role actually takes up.

• Like 1