Ambient radiation.

Mr Bear

I just thought I'd mention that the background radiation in a random sample point in Ramsey is less than 0.2 uSvh which is below average.

The current hysteria over the natural silt from Peel marina inspired me to do the test. I might even go and test the silt in Mooragh park lake since it's probably the same stuff as in Peel marina. But I'm not expecting much. Since it's just..... silt. Plain natural deposited mineral and organic debris put there by Mother nature herself. Just like in Peel.

I'm no scientist but I thought the presence of lead would affect the radiation levels?

If it's spoil from lead mines then there are various other minerals such as zinc and copper which can be found as well - note *can* be found. FWIW as you'll know there were copper mines on the island, not sure about zinc.

The big issue would be the possible presence of arsenic sulphide which is highly poisonous, however didn't PG say the spoil had been tested and was harmless?

It's the government making a big deal out of nothing as they always do to justify their highly expensive and expansive existence. The silt was oh so dangerous. It simply couldn't be dumped at sea and the combined great minds came up with the unavoidable solution of storing it at great cost for five years next to Poortown quarry.

Of course the whole thing was a load of tripe blown up out of all proportion. This was confirmed when - shock, horror - the haulage contractor brought in to move this fiendish concoction dropped some of it on the road in Peel. The residents, having swallowed the story about the toxic waste, were naturally up in arms. Mr Gawne, faced with admitting that either they had put the population of Peel in mortal peril or they had made a mountain out of a molehill took the latter course and announced jovially that the stuff wasn't really dangerous at all. Absolutely typical.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 4

I really struggle to understand why anyone would have wanted to build, and live in, a house on land as contaminated as The Deads. Just seems silly to me.

Unless.....it's not all that contaminated.......

I just thought I'd mention that the background radiation in a random sample point in Ramsey is less than 0.2 uSvh which is below average.

Are you sure it wasn't just the sun shining out of Allan Bell's arse? Seems to happen a lot round Ramsey way.....

• Like 1

You can very easily clean up a site by excavating and replacing earth. Fairly expensive to do but not difficult if you've got the right kit and people. Which they have.

But the marina silt is (could well be) concentrated and contain unpleasant heavy metals.

What are you using to measure the radiation?

If the rivers feeding the marina were passing through ongoing industrial processes and thinks like fracking then yes, it could be possible that the byproducts of industry were in the water. But I'm not aware that they pass through anything like that at all. The highest risk of water contamination is chemicals like weedkiller and insecticides leeching from farmland or more likely deluged onto riverside gardens by OCD gardeners wishing to control nature. Those chemicals would be in liquid form and would pass directly to sea.

The radiation was measured with a popular Japanese geiger counter specifically designed to monitor background radiation. From the very same company that built a huge number for local use after the Fukishima incident.

I think it was in the 1990s Wolverhampton University did a survey of the Deads and probably the surrounding mine workings and said that they should be covered over as a matter of urgency. I bet you couldn't find a copy of that report now!

I think it (and updated information) was actually submitted with the planning application for the house.

I think it was in the 1990s Wolverhampton University did a survey of the Deads and probably the surrounding mine workings and said that they should be covered over as a matter of urgency. I bet you couldn't find a copy of that report now!

I think it (and updated information) was actually submitted with the planning application for the house.

I guess the house is a big improvement on what was there before. Looks like it'd make a nice primary school actually.