Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
quilp

VE day commemoration.

Two minutes silence at 3pm today.

That is all.

I don't understand the thinking behind this. VE day was the signal for wild rejoicing in 1945. Seems incongruous to have a Remembrance style silence.

• Like 1

I thought exactly the same tbh, how about we all go down the pub for a knees up instead?

• Like 1

I don't understand the thinking behind this. VE day was the signal for wild rejoicing in 1945. Seems incongruous to have a Remembrance style silence.

It's the rememberance bit that's important. My mind is always drawn to a vision of the Old Man, bouncing about on a floating petrol-tank (Torpedo Boat) in the Channel as a 20 year-old, wet all over, never mind behind the ears.

• Like 2

It's disgusting that the huge contribution made by the Russians in defeating Nazi Germany isn't ever mentioned, or the loss of up to 80,000,000 Russian dead.

It's disgusting that the huge contribution made by the Russians in defeating Nazi Germany isn't ever mentioned, or the loss of up to 80,000,000 Russian dead.

I'd agree the role of the Ruskies is always underplayed but military deaths topped at around 15 million and total estimates around 25 million.

I think he is including civilians. It probably didn't make the news over there but a huge gang of Russian bikers rode from Moscow to Berlin to "celebrate" VE Day.

• Like 1

Though all bad, it was closer to 20 million not 80 million Russians Spook.

Yes but Spook always reports things four times worse than they actually are. Just take 25% of everything he says then he's spot on.

• Like 1

Though all bad, it was closer to 20 million not 80 million Russians Spook.

Yes but Spook always reports things four times worse than they actually are. Just take 25% of everything he says then he's spot on.

The actual number is unknown but there's a 20 plus lower limit and an 80 million upper limit and yes, the figure does include civilians and armed forces though at the time the demarcation between the two was probably hard to see.

I heard about this two-minute silence and just completely ignored it by getting on with what I was doing. And why not?

I am just not keen on silences that are almost imposed on society based on some expectations established by government. And because they just tend to be default option whenever some very specific and socially popular political event is to be commerorated. It's just a political gimmick. You can have silences on so many things - but the expectations of a silence just tend to follow things which we like or which hit popular attention and interest.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

possibly connected to VE day, any idea what the grey heavy 4 engined aircraft was which went southbound across Douglas quite low about 2pm-ish today ?, nothing showed on flightradar24 history about that time so possibly military and not identifying ?

I heard about this two-minute silence and just completely ignored it by getting on with what I was doing. And why not?

I am just not keen on silences that are almost imposed on society based on some expectations established by government. And because they just tend to be default option whenever some very specific and socially popular political event is to be commerorated. It's just a political gimmick. You can have silences on so many things - but the expectations of a silence just tend to follow things which we like or which hit popular attention and interest.

Which is what you have the freedom to do.

However, I think that it's pretty sad that millions upon millions died in order for you to have such freedom.

• Like 2

Why not?

Because people like you want respect to be extended to you in spite of your abnormal life choices and so the very least that you should do is respect normal people in their choices and in the case of a tangible indication of thanks and respect and recognition of a hugely significant event in recent history it would be a very small act.