Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
dreamon

New stand at Derbyhaven for CityWing?

I suspect that the real reason for CityWing off-loading their Blackpool flights lies with Balfour Beatty's sale of Blackpool Airport's x-ray equipment:

http://www2.ppauctions.com/auction.php?search=x-ray&refresh=0.5&perPage=20&sort=2&id=141

Ah right. So if there was something dangerous on the flight they don't want it going through the airport? Clever.

I suspect that the real reason for CityWing off-loading their Blackpool flights lies with Balfour Beatty's sale of Blackpool Airport's x-ray equipment:

http://www2.ppauctions.com/auction.php?search=x-ray&refresh=0.5&perPage=20&sort=2&id=141

Ah right. So if there was something dangerous on the flight they don't want it going through the airport? Clever.

So the aircraft goes to apron whisky because of security concerns , is met by the handlers who take the passengers and their luggage back to the terminal by minibus, whilst the aircraft immediately starts up and taxis back to its stand at the terminal. Is it me ? ......

I know someone who flew in the other day and the passengers and bags are picked up down by Manx Flyers Clubhouse in a minibus and then driven round to the Airport Terminal and dropped off out side thus never going through the "clean and security screened" part of the airport. The aircraft is then taken to a maintenance area, security searched (by who I don't know) and goes over to the terminal to continue flying as normal. Hopefully Blackpool will get their shit together shortly and then things can get back to normal!

I know someone who flew in the other day and the passengers and bags are picked up down by Manx Flyers Clubhouse in a minibus and then driven round to the Airport Terminal and dropped off out side thus never going through the "clean and security screened" part of the airport. The aircraft is then taken to a maintenance area, security searched (by who I don't know) and goes over to the terminal to continue flying as normal. Hopefully Blackpool will get their shit together shortly and then things can get back to normal!

If this is happening, it is scandalous! I was always under the impression that all the security was to counter the threat posed by a passenger bringing an IED, gun, knife or other weapon onto a plane. Just by-passing the airside areas on arrival at Ronaldsway after you have flown in on a plane that isn't secure is farcical and surely in breach of aviation security legislation.

Maybe they should do it with all of them, and we could save a few quid on those expensive airport security guys.

• Like 4

If this is happening, it is scandalous! I was always under the impression that all the security was to counter the threat posed by a passenger bringing an IED, gun, knife or other weapon onto a plane. Just by-passing the airside areas on arrival at Ronaldsway after you have flown in on a plane that isn't secure is farcical and surely in breach of aviation security legislation.

Nothing should surprise me on this subject I suppose, but this is very hard to believe even for me and even concerning Citywing.

surely the arrival at Derbyhaven (the club premises?) is to avoid the non-security checked passengers entering secure airside space - since complete flight is with the UK/Island area no international security rules are breached - Private Aviation and internal flights between Scottish Islands (eg some years ago Shetland(Tynwald?) to Fair Isle was viaan Islander with one passenger seated next to pilot) without any security checks

good theory, but the whole airport is allegedly a secure area ( hence the expensive pointless fence ) so even over the 'other side' still puts you in a secure airside area.

surely the arrival at Derbyhaven (the club premises?) is to avoid the non-security checked passengers entering secure airside space - since complete flight is with the UK/Island area no international security rules are breached - Private Aviation and internal flights between Scottish Islands (eg some years ago Shetland(Tynwald?) to Fair Isle was viaan Islander with one passenger seated next to pilot) without any security checks

OK, but surely the security risk then is on the aircraft with said non-security checked passengers. Surely that is the greater concern than secure airside space. What has been described above is an absolute bloody farce. Don't worry about the plane being blown up so long as the airport is alright.

Surely a plane leaving a non secure airport like Blackpool and then landing at an unsecured part of our airport (the Xlub premises) and passengers then not going through Ronaldsway security, is worse than just letting the plane land and letting people clear security as they would normally do? Any drug dealers looking for a day trip might find Blackpool really attractive.

• Like 2