Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
The Sick Moon

Should The Taxpayer Fund a Landing Stage In Liverpool?

2) Do you remember the other times there was competition for the SP

What happened?

IMO the ferry company colluded with the government to make it impossible.
That is absolutely false.

There is no evidence ----- but the facts do raise questions.

How so?

It's for Liverpool Ports to do. You wouldn't get "Should the Isle of Man pay for a new Runway at Liverpool" would you?

But when the ports seem to be operated on similar lines to Blackpool Airport, you do wonder.

Categorically NO!

Liverpool Docks is a commercial concern that provides facilities for which users pay a fee and they should be providing and financing a suitable landing stage, as they clearly do for the other operators into Liverpool.

Of course, the Parish Council have had 'the wind put up them'. On the one hand we have the grossly profitable (and incredibly tight-fisted) Peel Group) who could refurb Pierhead out of loose change and on the other, the Racket who are using the 'problem' as nothing more than a bargaining chip.

• Like 8

If they were going to fund a landing stage in what is technically a different country, would it make more sense to own the shipping company either the Steam Packet or alternative, so we`d have control over pricing etc.

Also is there a decent alternative to Liverpool if needed? - Cumbria? - Anglesey?

2) Do you remember the other times there was competition for the SP

What happened?

When it was Manx Line, both services stopped making money.

The Steam Packet got rid of its older vessels to save money.

Eventually, the operations merged because there wasn't enough trade to justify competiting companies on the routes (and that's when there were a lot more tourists coming to the island than there are now).

The Steam Packet's finances never really recovered and later it was bought by Sea Containers (and in turn other foreign companies that raised huge, unrealistic debts on the basis of the user agreement).

When Mezeron tried to get a grip on the freight market a couple of years ago, the Steam Packet gave sweeter deals to some freight customers and had to cut costs elsewhere. So it ditched the Snaefell fast craft. Mezeron gave up after a couple of months. But by then the deal had been done. No more Snaefell. We were left with just two vessels to cover all routes, which has made the company even more vulnerable to disruption as the boats failed for various reasons (bow thrusters etc) since.

The service, as provided, only requires 2 vessels for most of the year.

That is, 2 reliable and trouble free vessels, that don't try and munch every bit of debris they find.

Both of the current vessels are now showing their age.

There are peaks, when more space would be rather nice (have you tried getting to the Island with a car during the run up to TT week? It's all been booked up for a long time, monster problems finding a space, for days and days, and monster prices). The addition of a chartered freight ship doesn't free up too much extra passenger space.

We will end up paying for it. Simple as that, bet your bottom dollar, if you've still got one.

Whittaker is a HNWI. These will be the other negotiations with him that Bell referred to recently.

Prepare to see more of your money poured Peel Holdings way....

• Like 3

Indeed. Prepare for more extolling of intangible, unquantifiable "benefits" to the Island.

Whittaker's probably threatened to bugger off if we don't pay for a new stage. And we couldn't possibly have that, could we, Allan...?

And we'll get some more Pinewood shares in lieu......

Hooray! We can then sell half of them and get back half of the investment and crow about it. That's how it worked last time right?

• Like 2

Categorically NO!

Liverpool Docks is a commercial concern that provides facilities for which users pay a fee and they should be providing and financing a suitable landing stage, as they clearly do for the other operators into Liverpool.

Of course, the Parish Council have had 'the wind put up them'. On the one hand we have the grossly profitable (and incredibly tight-fisted) Peel Group) who could refurb Pierhead out of loose change and on the other, the Racket who are using the 'problem' as nothing more than a bargaining chip.

What is the arrangement then? It's clearly for the Steam Packet's exclusive use, ergo the Isle of Man's exclusive use.

How can we pay for it when we are broke, how can we pay for a new prom when we are broke, how can we have a new fire service training facility when we are broke.......I do not get it when I am broke I do not spend anything until I get on an even keel again even if I really need something....just saying.

How can we pay for it when we are broke, how can we pay for a new prom when we are broke, how can we have a new fire service training facility when we are broke.......I do not get it when I am broke I do not spend anything until I get on an even keel again even if I really need something....just saying.

Err, I'd guess we aren't broke.

Err, I'd guess we aren't broke.

We're only broke if we want something, like not paying extra rates and charges. When they want something, or lots of things, we're not broke. It's easy once you get used to it.

• Like 1

If the Manx Government does buy it, hopefully they will get a full structural and marine survey carried out first. Knowing their luck if they don't, five minutes after the purchase goes through it will probably sink.

>...it will probably sink.

Precedent was set in 1978 at a cost of £1/4million+. A strong easterly converted this:-

post-35120-0-98404600-1432073762_thumb.jpg

to this:-

post-35120-0-89371800-1432073816_thumb.jpg

TBT.