Opt out of TV Licence

Barrie Stevens

Looking at yesterday's letter entitled "Your address has been scheduled for a visit" it looks like recording a program on a hard drive device and watching it later counts as watching it live.

That will piss on the chips of my alehouse acquaintances who say they are using this type of device to allege they aren't actually watching a program 'as it is being transmitted'.

If they're watching it later why not just watch on catchup services?

• Like 1

>...it looks like recording a program on a hard drive device and watching it later counts as watching it live.

Correct.

The legal requirement for a licence is if you are "receiving a live broadcast". And that can be from any broadcaster e.g. BBC, ITV, C4, Sky etc; you will still need to pay the BBC their fees of £145.50/annum

It doesn't matter when you watch it; it's receiving the live signal that triggers the licence requirement.

Similarly if you receive a colour broadcast (recorded onto video/harddrive etc.) you will need a colour licence, even if you only play it back via a B&W tv.

Don't answer the door when the inspectors knock is the best option. Ignoring all correspondance, has served me well since the late 80's.

If they persist, ask them to leave whilst simultaneously filming them. The threat of a YouTube appearance seems to be like a cross to a vampire.

Finally, film them driving their vehicle and report them for 'suspected' no insurance for business use.

TBT.

It is a strange distinction. Recording it on a hard drive and watching it later or watching it later from their server. There really is no difference in effect. Semantics. The sooner they get on and make the iplayer accessible by a licence number the more sense it will make. I know why it is the way it is, but it is ludicrous.

• Like 2

It is a strange distinction. Recording it on a hard drive and watching it later or watching it later from their server. There really is no difference in effect. Semantics. The sooner they get on and make the iplayer accessible by a licence number the more sense it will make. I know why it is the way it is, but it is ludicrous.

>...The sooner they get on and make the iplayer accessible by a licence number the more sense it will make.

All in good time.

Since iPlayer was launched by the BBC at a cost of around £6M in Dec 2007, there have been significant upgrades.

In Feb '11 links to C4, ITV's 1,2,3 and 4, E4, More4, S4C and Channel 5 among others were included.

July '11 saw the launch of an international version.

Similarly, in Apr '14 a relaunch was included to improve the service showing the programmes 30 days post live broadcast, up from 7 days previously.

Popularity of the service was acknowledged when in Jan '14 a broadcast of Sherlock - The Empty Hearse, received an initial 4.2M UK downloads, increasing to 3.5B(illion) worldwide for 2014!

So, with all of the above hard work and success achieved, you'll forgive the 'powers that be' the lack of business savvy in addressing the blatant loophole that fails to adequately charge for the service.

TBT.

It's not that simple woolley - it's a levy imposed by an external power

We ought to have a licence agreement with the BBC as the Republic of Ireland does

Not really. The law or statutory instrument making it possible was passed by Tynwald as I recall and the IOM last I looked gets a small slice. And the UK is not an external power. It is your boss.

• Like 1

Remind me again why we need to pay for the BBC?

I mean its not like they don't receive advertising revenue from their sub channels - Dave, Gold, Alibi, Drama, Eden, Gold Food, Home, Really, W, Yesterday...

And then there is DVD/Blue Ray sales, merchandise, selling Doctor Who to the spams...

• Like 1

Remind me again why we need to pay for the BBC?

I mean its not like they don't receive advertising revenue from their sub channels - Dave, Gold, Alibi, Drama, Eden, Gold Food, Home, Really, W, Yesterday...

And then there is DVD/Blue Ray sales, merchandise, selling Doctor Who to the spams...

You pay the BBC because it is the will of Tynwald