Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Barrie Stevens

Opt out of TV Licence

Do people not see that while it (presently) may not be required to buy a TV license to watch delayed programs there is a moral duty to do so even though there has been a delay?

And I'm being very serious about this.

I do wonder how long it will be before there will be an Internet license introduced. It could provide a useful source of cash especially for the Island where Internet usage can be easily established.

>Do people not see that while it (presently) may not be required to buy a TV license to watch delayed programs there is a moral duty to do so even though there has been a delay?

No, and I'm being very serious about this.

Prior to download tv (iPlayer went live in December 2007 and I've not had tv since the late 80's), the BBC's monopoly determined that those without a tv licence, couldn't legally watch any tv stations at all.

So anyone contributing to ITV/Channel4 etc. via purchasing the advertised products/services couldn't legally watch tv without paying the BBC the full licence fee. And even now, you still can't legally watch these channels live.

So no, I feel there is no moral duty to pay the BBC whatsoever.

Amazing how people try to justify immorality. And fail.

Regarding the TV Licence Enforcer harrassment (via Capita), it does the BBC no favours regarding moral duty.

What's good for the goose...

There are those that insist watching the BBC via download without a licence is freeloading, but the BBC monopoly can be altered via subscription. The BBC haven't progressed via this route, so in effect it's the BBC that are letting their licence holders down, not the 'freeloaders'.

Could I suggest that you approach the BBC with your concerns and ask them to close the non-live loophole.

If the BBC were to employ subscriptions in lieu of the current licence; I'd expect some of the 'freeloaders' would appreciate the opportunity to watch the other channels live.

TBT.

Do people not see that while it (presently) may not be required to buy a TV license to watch delayed programs there is a moral duty to do so even though there has been a delay?

I do wonder how long it will be before there will be an Internet license introduced. It could provide a useful source of cash especially for the Island where Internet usage can be easily established.

After all, the BBC has always been at the forefront when it comes to morality Just look at the likes of Jimmy Savile et al. How much license fee money went on the salaries of the gang of puedo's and rapists employed by the BBC. Not to mention the ensuing cover up's and silence money. No offence Spook, but you are a opinionated tool. And I'm being very serious about that.

• Like 4

After all, the BBC has always been at the forefront when it comes to morality Just look at the likes of Jimmy Savile et al. How much license fee money went on the salaries of the gang of puedo's and rapists employed by the BBC. Not to mention the ensuing cover up's and silence money. No offence Spook, but you are a opinionated tool. And I'm being very serious about that.

The low life were not employed by the BBC as low life, they were employed as entertainers and we're very popular. There can be no doubt that there was a cabal within the employees of the BBC who did cover up what should have been exposed but here again not employed to do that.

To condemn the whole of the BBC on the basis of some very criminal staff is wrong. The BBC is a corporation that amongst other things broadcasts entertainment It should not and can not be held to blame for the actions of a minority of scum who covered up what they were up to.

To denigrate the whole of the BBC as immoral is simply wrong. To use such an excuse to justify immorality is equally wrong.

....they were employed as entertainers and we're very popular.

What did you play...?

• Like 2

The low life were not employed by the BBC as low life, they were employed as entertainers and we're very popular. There can be no doubt that there was a cabal within the employees of the BBC who did cover up what should have been exposed but here again not employed to do that.

To condemn the whole of the BBC on the basis of some very criminal staff is wrong. The BBC is a corporation that amongst other things broadcasts entertainment It should not and can not be held to blame for the actions of a minority of scum who covered up what they were up to.

To denigrate the whole of the BBC as immoral is simply wrong. To use such an excuse to justify immorality is equally wrong.

You were the one who brought up the subject of morality and linked it to paying the BBC's license fee. You can't have it both ways. Anyway, it doesn't matter what they were employed as, it's what they did, what they were allowed to get away with and the fact they were protected by the corporation that counts.

Edited by manxb&b
  • Like 1

....they were employed as entertainers and we're very popular.

What did you play...?

Probably not hard to get!

What happened within the BBC where the perverts are concerned isn't the point. In fact most of what took place within the BBC premises appears to be trivial, the real disgusting things were done outside of the BBC though they would appear to have been hushed up by a number of people only some of which were involved with the BBC.

The immorality here is watching BBC and other TV broadcasts by other broadcasters on a catch up facility without paying the dues based on a technicality.

That is what is immoral.

Apparently you can opt out of paying for a TV licence by writing to the TV Licensing Authority and declaring that you only watch "catch up" programmes on line.

According to a BBC Radio 4 programme "You and Yours" currently on air (Tuesday 19th Noon) if you declare that you only watch "on demand or catch up TV" then you do not have to buy a licence and if you have one already they have to give you a refund.

You can make your declaration on the TV Licensing web site. You have to cancel your licence and get a refund before you make the declaration.

I apologise if this information is already "old hat"!

It has taken me years to convince the people in Cardiff that I haven't got a TV.

I do watch on BBC iPlayer but not live.

That is what is immoral.

You have a very strange definition of immoral. I hope you're not a shopping centre Santa!

• Like 1

That is what is immoral.

You have a very strange definition of immoral. I hope you're not a shopping centre Santa!

Theft while hiding behind a technicality is still theft.

Theft is immoral - and more.

A bit like tax avoidance by using loopholes and technicalities ----- oh I nearly forgot!

It was providing the ways and means for people to do that which provided the Isle of Man with a whole industry!

Shameful.

Apparently you can opt out of paying for a TV licence by writing to the TV Licensing Authority and declaring that you only watch "catch up" programmes on line.

According to a BBC Radio 4 programme "You and Yours" currently on air (Tuesday 19th Noon) if you declare that you only watch "on demand or catch up TV" then you do not have to buy a licence and if you have one already they have to give you a refund.

You can make your declaration on the TV Licensing web site. You have to cancel your licence and get a refund before you make the declaration.

I apologise if this information is already "old hat"!

It has taken me years to convince the people in Cardiff that I haven't got a TV.

I do watch on BBC iPlayer but not live.

Freeloading scum.

• Like 1

In fact most of what took place within the BBC premises appears to be trivial

I'm sorry what? Can you explain just what level of sexual advance you can make towards children that counts as "trivial"?

And it's not the coverup of widespread paedophilia that's immoral, but not paying a fee for something you don't use anyway?

And you say atheists can't interpret morals properly!

In fact most of what took place within the BBC premises appears to be trivial

I'm sorry what? Can you explain just what level of sexual advance you can make towards children that counts as "trivial"?

And it's not the coverup of widespread paedophilia that's immoral, but not paying a fee for something you don't use anyway?

And you say atheists can't interpret morals properly!

Don't think I've seen any reports of sexual abuse of kids on BBC premises though I may have missed something. But in any case whatever might have taken place was not condoned by the Corporation.

I pay happily because the programs and radio on the beeb are ace.

To show my bitches how much swag I got, I listen to 1xtra pretty much all the time in the car.