Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Barrie Stevens

Opt out of TV Licence

37 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes. Compare this year's viewing ratings with some from 30 years ago. The resistance will come from having to put hands in pockets to fund stuff they can take or leave.

It's your point. You prove it....

It matters not a jot whether they have 1 or 10,000000 viewers they still get the same income!   Excluding programs they sell abroad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Trusted Media outlet.....really... 

Yep.

I read it in my trusty Grauniad

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/oct/31/guardian-rated-most-trusted-newspaper-brand-in-uk-study

The more right wing you are the more you will judge content to be left wing. Hence we tend to buy newspapers that agree with our prejudices.

So as a "state of the nation" indicator the circulation figures of The Daily Wail is quite sobering really. Add the Torygraph, Sun, Excess etc etc and it gets scary....

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

A more serious objection is to the many layers of management and the old boy networks that staff it.  (Who do they think they are - the Manx Government?).

Indeed.

39 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's your point. You prove it....

It's common knowledge. Are you disputing it? Are you saying that despite multi-channel tv and the internet, the beeb is still drawing the same audiences? Don't be silly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Yep.

I read it in my trusty Grauniad

Hence we tend to buy newspapers that agree with our prejudices.

You said it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

It's common knowledge. Are you disputing it? Are you saying that despite multi-channel tv and the internet, the beeb is still drawing the same audiences? Don't be silly.

A BBC spokesperson said: “Young people spend more time with the BBC than any other media provider including YouTube, Spotify or Netflix. But it’s an incredibly competitive market and young people have far more choice today than previous generations."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/oct/25/bbc-faces-existential-crisis-as-young-people-turn-to-rivals-ofcom

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

A BBC spokesperson said: “Young people spend more time with the BBC than any other media provider including YouTube, Spotify or Netflix. But it’s an incredibly competitive market and young people have far more choice today than previous generations."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/oct/25/bbc-faces-existential-crisis-as-young-people-turn-to-rivals-ofcom

"A BBC spokesperson". It must be true then... :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The BBC is a shambolic organisation and disgusting, to the point of positively encouraging people to take out PSCs at the expense of others . 

I still can't understand how millions of years of evolution produced Chris Evans....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The BBC is a shambolic organisation and disgusting, to the point of positively encouraging people to take out PSCs at the expense of others . 

All the "top stars" if you like, and more importantly their agents, know how much their clients are worth in the open market. And you have to pay the going rate otherwise folks will vote with their feet and you end up paying the going rate to replace them.

Comparing these folks with the gophers at the bottom end is a complete nonsense. And face it, nobody forced them to take a lowly paid job at the BBC or anywhere else for that matter....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neil Down said:

"A BBC spokesperson". It must be true then... :rolleyes:

With the UK right wing press, which is to say pretty much all of it, always wanting to beat the BBC with a shitty stick because they tend to tell the truth about concerns like child poverty then you can be sure anything put out by "A BBC spokesperson" has to be squeaky clean and gutter-press proof.

Even so it doesn't stop them trying it on with sops to the stupid. After all, nature abhors a vacuum....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, P.K. said:

All the "top stars" if you like, and more importantly their agents, know how much their clients are worth in the open market. And you have to pay the going rate otherwise folks will vote with their feet and you end up paying the going rate to replace them.

Comparing these folks with the gophers at the bottom end is a complete nonsense. And face it, nobody forced them to take a lowly paid job at the BBC or anywhere else for that matter....

Another PK blinder. As always siding with the fat cats against the downtrodden plebs. This beauty might have been taken from the Norman Tebbit book of soundbites: "Nobody forced them to take a low paid job". Quite so. Perhaps a desire to eat did though. I'm sure they don't do it for the glamour or the kudos of working for the most trusted media organisation on the planet.

As if it needed stating, you don't have to pay the going rate to replace "talent". When Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley (is she supposed to be attractive?) left the One Show for ITV millions, they didn't have to pay the going rate to replace them. They just got that Welsh bird and some nomark bloke to sit with her for a cut price. The One Show carried on as normal. Same with Countdown on C4. When they invited Carol Vorderperson to take a 90% pay cut and she declined, they employed Rachel Riley instead. I haven't seen any media organisation rushing to replace Carol's former salary. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a858997/countdown-carol-vorderman-richard-whiteley-pay-salary/

I reckon it's time they put a similar proposition to Lineker and his golfing mates. You and I could do that gig, no problema.

Edited by woolley
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

I still can't understand how millions of years of evolution produced Chris Evans....

Chris is still very underrated. He can't help his hair colour, but is one smart cookie.

6 hours ago, P.K. said:

A case in point of an ego the size of London massaged willingly for years by the beeb. Even after he took the piss on air and deserted them, they still invited him back with open arms and paid him £2million a year. Cretins.

• Like 1