Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Barrie Stevens

Opt out of TV Licence

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Chris is still very underrated. He can't help his hair colour, but is one smart cookie.

Underrated? £2 million a year? :D

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

Another PK blinder. As always siding with the fat cats against the downtrodden plebs. This beauty might have been taken from the Norman Tebbit book of soundbites: "Nobody forced them to take a low paid job". Quite so. Perhaps a desire to eat did though. I'm sure they don't do it for the glamour or the kudos of working for the most trusted media organisation on the planet.

As if it needed stating, you don't have to pay the going rate to replace "talent". When Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley (is she supposed to be attractive?) left the One Show for ITV millions, they didn't have to pay the going rate to replace them. They just got that Welsh bird and some nomark bloke to sit with her for a cut price. The One Show carried on as normal. Same with Countdown on C4. When they invited Carol Vorderperson to take a 90% pay cut and she declined, they employed Rachel Riley instead. I haven't seen any media organisation rushing to replace Carol's former salary. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a858997/countdown-carol-vorderman-richard-whiteley-pay-salary/

I reckon it's time they put a similar proposition to Lineker and his golfing mates. You and I could do that gig, no problema.

The point is that when Bleakley and Chiles moved on they they got minted. Sure you can replace with bargain basement but the originals tend to take their audience with them.

And personally I think Spitting Image got the appalling Tebbit absolutely right.

Bit pissed off ATM. Should be fishing with the chaps but an EA Amber Flood Alert meant the venue shut up shop. We were left wondering how much we had had to drink the previous evening. Fortunately sensible PK had taken along a decent breathalyser (Alcosense). I just hope that out of the two failures the last man sitting remembers to post it back to me when he finally makes it home....

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The point is that when Bleakley and Chiles moved on they they got minted. Sure you can replace with bargain basement but the originals tend to take their audience with them.

And personally I think Spitting Image got the appalling Tebbit absolutely right.

Bit pissed off ATM. Should be fishing with the chaps but an EA Amber Flood Alert meant the venue shut up shop. We were left wondering how much we had had to drink the previous evening. Fortunately sensible PK had taken along a decent breathalyser (Alcosense). I just hope that out of the two failures the last man sitting remembers to post it back to me when he finally makes it home....

They didn't though, did they? Bleakley and Chiles were a total flop on ITV. Tebbit's OK and so was Maggie. Much misunderstood. Who is sensible PK? You must introduce us sometime.

Now, I've got this new format for MotD all worked out. You can be Lineker if you want, and do the merry quips. I've decided to recruit Quilpy too and he and I will do the in-depth analysis. I suggest we pitch it at 50% of what the current wasters are on and negotiate from there. BBC are a pushover. Easiest deal ever done.

• Like 2

As someone mentioned earlier, Radio 4 is worth the licence fee on it’s own

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kevster said:

As someone mentioned earlier, Radio 4 is worth the licence fee on it’s own

There are some thought provoking programmes and it isn't as dumbed down as the television yet, but the audience for much of the output must be very small indeed. I sometimes have the feeling that the country it is broadcasting to scarcely exists anymore. I note that they are pushing the Sounds on demand web brand very hard. I think they see this as the eventual replacement for sound broadcasting.

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

There are some thought provoking programmes and it isn't as dumbed down as the television yet, but the audience for much of the output must be very small indeed. I sometimes have the feeling that the country it is broadcasting to scarcely exists anymore. I note that they are pushing the Sounds on demand web brand very hard. I think they see this as the eventual replacement for sound broadcasting.

We don't know all the details, but over 10 million people still listen to Radio 4 every week, so even the more niche programming must get quite a few people tuning in.  The endless plugging of BBC Sounds is really irritating I agree - according the Private Eye it's another expensive vanity project by management, when they had something that worked already with the iPlayer.  That sort of thing costs more than any number of Gary Linekers.

One thing I have also noticed since the announcement about the scrapping of the free licences for the (better-off) pensioners, is that the BBC is making it very clear that it's the UK Government to blame.  They are selling it as "The Government is getting rid of all the free licences, but the BBC is going to pay for poorer over-75s" rather than the BBC making the richer ones pay for it.  Which is true enough, but it's the first bit of canny  politics we've seen from them for years.

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Out of curiosity I just looked at this:

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio/commissioning/R4_44_Minute_Drama_Audience_Pack.pdf

I'm having a really hard time believing that 7 million people listen to drama on R4. Over 10% of the population? Nah.

That's quite an interesting find.  Remember that 7 million are those Radio 4 listeners who listen to any drama each week, not every item.  And it includes things such as the Archers and 'comedy drama', not just straight plays.  So it's not implausible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, woolley said:

They didn't though, did they? Bleakley and Chiles were a total flop on ITV. Tebbit's OK and so was Maggie. Much misunderstood. Who is sensible PK? You must introduce us sometime.

Now, I've got this new format for MotD all worked out. You can be Lineker if you want, and do the merry quips. I've decided to recruit Quilpy too and he and I will do the in-depth analysis. I suggest we pitch it at 50% of what the current wasters are on and negotiate from there. BBC are a pushover. Easiest deal ever done.

Dear me, how many more times?

I don't follow minority sports like football. Never have. Never will.

And I wouldn't know anything about nonentities moving to ITV because I don't watch it.

Agree about R4. As I have posted many times I think it is the best broadcasting on the planet and as yet shows little sign of being dumbed down. Unlike the nonsense on a lot of commercial tv but the poisonous Kylie being binned off is a step in the right direction.

ETA - R4 is very popular amongst old folks

Edited by P.K.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, woolley said:

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio/commissioning/R4_44_Minute_Drama_Audience_Pack.pdf

I'm having a really hard time believing that 7 million people listen to drama on R4. Over 10% of the population? Nah.

At times there's really weird drama on but it's great when they do classics like Dickens etc.

And The Archers? Never to be missed!

Edited by Andy Onchan

8 hours ago, woolley said:

It'll be accurate woolley, BBC said so...

• Like 1

Interesting to hear IOMG response on 3FM this evening. 

A simple summary of the guff spouted was - "If we can shaft the over 75s as well, we will!"

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

Interesting to hear IOMG response on 3FM this evening. 

A simple summary of the guff spouted was - "If we can shaft the over 75s as well, we will!"

Well they already did it once so why would they not? They did it when it wasn't even in fashion across.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Well they already did it once so why would they not? They did it when it wasn't even in fashion across.

To put it in perspective shafting the coffin-dodgers will generate funding for how many fairy houses...?

17 hours ago, P.K. said:

Dear me, how many more times?

I don't follow minority sports like football. Never have. Never will.

And I wouldn't know anything about nonentities moving to ITV because I don't watch it.

Agree about R4. As I have posted many times I think it is the best broadcasting on the planet and as yet shows little sign of being dumbed down. Unlike the nonsense on a lot of commercial tv but the poisonous Kylie being binned off is a step in the right direction.

ETA - R4 is very popular amongst old folks

I know I'm going to regret this, but who is Kylie and why is she poisonous?

Yes R4 is popular among old folks and even more so among the dead, I would suspect. This is why I said it often feels as though the country it is broadcasting to no longer exists. There is at times a curious juxtaposition of the staid "Home Service" feel which will then break out into some obscure commentary such as "how I survived in Senegal as a black lesbian" or some such stock BBC theme to ramp up the PC quota. What the core audience makes of this stuff is anyone's guess.