Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Barrie Stevens

Opt out of TV Licence

8 hours ago, woolley said:

I know I'm going to regret this, but who is Kylie and why is she poisonous?

Yes R4 is popular among old folks and even more so among the dead, I would suspect. This is why I said it often feels as though the country it is broadcasting to no longer exists. There is at times a curious juxtaposition of the staid "Home Service" feel which will then break out into some obscure commentary such as "how I survived in Senegal as a black lesbian" or some such stock BBC theme to ramp up the PC quota. What the core audience makes of this stuff is anyone's guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/apr/22/life-after-jeremy-kyle-treatment

Love the way you have deliberately missed the excellence of the BBC producing exactly what is required.

V funny to all those millions of R4 listeners....

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/apr/22/life-after-jeremy-kyle-treatment

Love the way you have deliberately missed the excellence of the BBC producing exactly what is required.

V funny to all those millions of R4 listeners....

Again, I find myself having no idea what you are on about. What is this excellence that the BBC produced to exact requirements?

So Kylie was Jeremy Kyle. OK, but it isn't immediately obvious unless the man is high in one's consciousness. Is that his nickname? I defer to your more comprehensive study of him. I thought perhaps Kylie was some odious character that had been killed off in The Archers. Or perhaps that you'd suffered some personal slight from everyone's favourite antipodean pop princess.

Obviously, anyone with even half a brain would applaud the removal of the JK programme. It was one of the esteemed Granada Television's final independent bequests to the nation from Manchester after the bean counters had taken over. What Bernstein and Plowright would have made of it is anyone's guess. The Granada of Brideshead Revisited and The Jewel in the Crown; of Disappearing World and World in Action which was once crowned as the best quality television production company on the planet, has certainly changed. In recent years to be fair, ITV, which is to all intents and purposes Granada having gobbled up the rest of the network, has returned to producing some very good quality drama. Critically acclaimed Unforgotten and the recent dramatisation of the Hatton Garden heist by codgers are cases in point. I think they've finally realised that in these times of declining advertising revenue there is money to be made from producing good content, a total turnaround from the Gerry Robinson philosophy which was to sell as much advertising as possible on the back of any old game show dross output.

What is quite disturbing is that Kyle was the most popular of all daytime viewing, so what kind of society have we bred?

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:41 AM, P.K. said:

And I wouldn't know anything about nonentities moving to ITV because I don't watch it.

Baby out with bathwater. Such prejudice. Reminds me of a friend's dad who would not permit the television channel to be changed from the BBC as he did not want subversive commercial influences in the house. He nearly had a seizure when he found out I'd got his son switched on to Radio Caroline.

I don't watch much TV. Maybe an hour a day on average and often none at all, but I am prepared to pick what appeals without censoring in advance according to channel. How silly.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't watch much TV. Maybe an hour a day on average and often none at all, but I am prepared to pick what appeals without censoring in advance according to channel. How silly.

We probably average an hour a day of tv as well. However we rarely, if ever, watch ITV because little on it appeals to us. So it's not censorship just because the channel is called ITV at all. What a silly notion.

Madame used to be a typical Corrie fan ie every episode without fail. I never discouraged it because it meant an hour of me time. It eventually became too silly for her taste so now we have to talk every now and again. Thinking about it we used to watch Endeavour on ITV as she really liked the program and I loved the sixties setting.

However the tv NEVER goes on before 8 pm unless the cricket is on...

20 minutes ago, woolley said:

Again, I find myself having no idea what you are on about. What is this excellence that the BBC produced to exact requirements?

So Kylie was Jeremy Kyle. OK, but it isn't immediately obvious unless the man is high in one's consciousness. Is that his nickname? I defer to your more comprehensive study of him. I thought perhaps Kylie was some odious character that had been killed off in The Archers. Or perhaps that you'd suffered some personal slight from everyone's favourite antipodean pop princess.

Obviously, anyone with even half a brain would applaud the removal of the JK programme. It was one of the esteemed Granada Television's final independent bequests to the nation from Manchester after the bean counters had taken over. What Bernstein and Plowright would have made of it is anyone's guess. The Granada of Brideshead Revisited and The Jewel in the Crown; of Disappearing World and World in Action which was once crowned as the best quality television production company on the planet, has certainly changed. In recent years to be fair, ITV, which is to all intents and purposes Granada having gobbled up the rest of the network, has returned to producing some very good quality drama. Critically acclaimed Unforgotten and the recent dramatisation of the Hatton Garden heist by codgers are cases in point. I think they've finally realised that in these times of declining advertising revenue there is money to be made from producing good content, a total turnaround from the Gerry Robinson philosophy which was to sell as much advertising as possible on the back of any old game show dross output.

What is quite disturbing is that Kyle was the most popular of all daytime viewing, so what kind of society have we bred?

Yes, if Kylie is a state of the nation indicator we're in deep trouble.

Never watched any of these as they just didn't appeal: Brideshead Revisited and The Jewel in the Crown of Disappearing World and World in Action Unforgotten.

Saw the documentary on the Hatton Garden Heist which prompted us to watch the dramatisation. It didn't take much of Timothy Spall dreadfully overacting to make us switch it off.

There's no accounting for taste....

12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

We probably average an hour a day of tv as well. However we rarely, if ever, watch ITV because little on it appeals to us. So it's not censorship just because the channel is called ITV at all. What a silly notion.

Madame used to be a typical Corrie fan ie every episode without fail. I never discouraged it because it meant an hour of me time. It eventually became too silly for her taste so now we have to talk every now and again. Thinking about it we used to watch Endeavour on ITV as she really liked the program and I loved the sixties setting.

However the tv NEVER goes on before 8 pm unless the cricket is on...

OK. But seriously there is some decent stuff on ITV. Your "I don't watch it." came over as antipathy for antipathy's sake. Some people talk about the golden age of television. Well, OK, as far as the ratings are concerned. It was a captive audience, but if you watch back some of even the most popular stuff back then it comes over as corny as hell.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

There's no accounting for taste....

Indeed not. Do you think he might have acted it better on the BBC?

Edited by woolley
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Madame used to be a typical Corrie fan ie every episode without fail. I never discouraged it because it meant an hour of me time. 

Did Mrs PK tell you it was on for an hour every night?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

No. 

But to be honest I lost track. It was on every weeknight and at least two of those weeknights and sometimes more had two episodes one at 7:30 then something in between and then another at 8:30. Sometimes on after the 9:00 watershed because of contentious subject matter like are Bury's black puddings the best in the UK? Stuff like that.

All too difficult.

I guess you're a big fan then Declan?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

I guess you're a big fan then Declan?

I quite like it. The dialogue can be hilarious. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

No. 

But to be honest I lost track. It was on every weeknight and at least two of those weeknights and sometimes more had two episodes one at 7:30 then something in between and then another at 8:30. Sometimes on after the 9:00 watershed because of contentious subject matter like are Bury's black puddings the best in the UK? Stuff like that.

All too difficult.

Methinks he knows too much about this.

57 minutes ago, woolley said:

Methinks he knows too much about this.

Just thinking that myself woolley. He knows a lot about something he says he doesn’t watch... :whistling:

• Haha 1

I thought you were referring to Kylie Minogue the one from Neighbours ? Bit of confusion all around.   The BBC is digging its own grave here from what I can see.

9 hours ago, Declan said:

If I were her I'd tell him it was on 24/7.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just don't pay.And don't watch anything live and it's done.If you sign the declaration you are signing away any defence you may have if you have 'inadvertently' watched an isolated program.You DO NOT have to sign anything. The threats from the Licensing Authority are without any legal foundation. The BBC are desperate for their jobs and will stoop to any level of scaremongering to make us pay. In reality, the ongoing war between IOMG and the BBC means that the IOMG is often letting  us know when the inspector vans come, and appear ready to arrest and eject them for the smallest infringement. It's the only time the Manx Courts actually work FOR the people rather than ON the people. A lot of people these days appear to have the TV on for background ambience.Easy,stick on Netflix,youtube,DVD or a film from any other streaming service.Netflix can be had for £6 a month,live TV is double that. Everyone has a choice.

• Thanks 1